[10] Cho'gall -- Normal Strategy

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Cho'gall -- Normal Strategy

Postby Chicken » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:28 pm

agetro wrote:Uhm, from what I can assume, only reason to put "the rogue" on Adherents is because she didn't do too good near Cho'Gall? Or is it because of the abilities of the Rogue class that helps?
Generally speaking you'll need most of your DPS to swap to the adherent to get it down in time (You might be able to manage with one DPS permanently on Cho'gall). Having a melee DPS on them is also convenient for interrupting.
Chicken

Postby agetro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Yea, I had mentioned that, but the RL said he didn't want to have the add near the Meleers to give them enough time to get away from his Crash spell in time. But I could see having at least 1 more would be good, or another ranged on him, which we're low on. Thanks again for the help.
agetro

Postby Fetzie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:14 pm

The crash has the same flight time, regardless of its target. The adherent gained the festered blood buff, meaning that it did not die fast enough. Thus you need more damage on the adherent :) It HAS to be down before Cho'gall casts fester blood.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Aerron » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:18 am

agetro wrote:Yea, I had mentioned that, but the RL said he didn't want to have the add near the Meleers to give them enough time to get away from his Crash spell in time. But I could see having at least 1 more would be good, or another ranged on him, which we're low on. Thanks again for the help.

The fact that you're kiting and thus constantly moving the add back to the stairs should keep the melee out of any crash cast on them. Further, it's probably more important that Depravity get interrupted, and having a Rogue or other melee with an interrupt on the Adherent means you won't take one in the face because you got caught out of range trying to move it back.

Generally, you should shoot to have the add dying just as you get it back to the stairs. If you've arrived there and it's taking overly long to kill it, something's gone wrong.

Remember, the quicker you kill the add, the more time your dps has to get back into position behind Cho'gall and set up their AoE and Traps/mushrooms/whatever before he casts Festering Blood and the slimes come.

That said, I also have to mention that our raid group generally leaves one dps on Cho'gall while the Big Add is up, just so that he's continuing to take damage. We generally run with 6 dps, 2 healers. So if you're running a 5/3 set up, you'll probably need all dps on the Adherent.
Aerron

Postby agetro » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:47 am

Awesome Thanks for the info again guys. This turned from an impossible encounter to something I could look forward to doing. SO much more info that I had ever thought about that goes on about this fight.
agetro

Postby Fetzie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:33 pm

agetro wrote:SO much more info that I had ever thought about that goes on about this fight.

and all from a 2 minute log of a single boss attempt :)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby kendrel » Fri May 06, 2011 2:43 am

We only just started working on this fight and noticed something strange. In phase 2 we occasionally got flaming destruction (fire patches). Could this be a result of us pushing him over the 25% threshold just after a Flame Order's? Do we need to time the transition change?

I ask as we had a bunch of fire patches dumped on the melee and tanks which quickly led to a wipe.
Kendrel - Axis - Dath'Remar
kendrel

Postby Treck » Fri May 06, 2011 3:24 am

He will stop summoning elementals once pushed below 25%, but any elemental up at the point of 25% will still be consumed.
Fire elemental is obviously bad for that reason since firepatches can limit the area where you might wanna go, while the shadow one is worse for the healers.

IMO fire elemental is easier and better to deal with, just wait for all the fires to spawn before you move him into position (if your taking him up the throne) this may result in having to kill the eyes spread over the room a bit.
Shadow just require a bit more healing.

I wouldnt suggest waiting to bring him down to 25% tbh, as its not really that big of a deal, just react accordingly.
Treck

Postby kendrel » Sat May 07, 2011 12:33 am

Treck wrote:He will stop summoning elementals once pushed below 25%, but any elemental up at the point of 25% will still be consumed.
Fire elemental is obviously bad for that reason since firepatches can limit the area where you might wanna go, while the shadow one is worse for the healers.

IMO fire elemental is easier and better to deal with, just wait for all the fires to spawn before you move him into position (if your taking him up the throne) this may result in having to kill the eyes spread over the room a bit.
Shadow just require a bit more healing.

I wouldnt suggest waiting to bring him down to 25% tbh, as its not really that big of a deal, just react accordingly.

Thanks Treck.

With regards to positioning in P2, is the idea to use the geometry of the room to restrict where Cho'Gall can place tentacles? If so, is there a general consensus as to the optimal spot?
kendrel

Postby Treck » Sat May 07, 2011 3:45 am

His throne is the perfect place for the last phase,
All tentacles will spawn pretty much right under him.

If your doing hc, the big tentacles will spawn ontop of meele, but its not that hard avoiding to stand close to them.
Treck

Postby kendrel » Thu May 12, 2011 11:50 pm

Treck wrote:His throne is the perfect place for the last phase,
All tentacles will spawn pretty much right under him.

If your doing hc, the big tentacles will spawn ontop of meele, but its not that hard avoiding to stand close to them.

Got our kill last night on our second try. Tanking him inside his throne played out exactly as you described. Thanks again.
kendrel

Postby Haztank » Fri May 20, 2011 2:18 am

Hey folks

I had some tries on Cho Gall for the first time last night with my new guild that's only killed him once before - so we're all fairly new to it.

Tactically we have it down, though a couple of dps were low and we didn't have a BL/Heroism so couldn't get the kill, just some 2/3% wipes :cry:

We're going back on Monday to kill him which is where my question and reason for posting comes in.

We were using the tactic of taking one Fury and then tank swapping so only one tank always get the adds. This tank was me. I managed to get the hang of interrupting (I think i was the only one doing so) but for the life of me I could not get away with not getting any corruption. It always seemed to be going well until the mob died and suddenly I'd hit 40ish corruption.

Is there something I'm missing? Just being slow moving out of his goop?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Haztank

Postby Hrobertgar » Fri May 20, 2011 7:18 am

My experience with the adds is that you have to be quick with the interupts. If i'm tanking on my pally and I am out of melee range kiting its either AS or get 10 corruption. By the time I can see the cast and realize my melee interupter can't get it, moving forward and trying to interupt myself always fails. So If I want to interupt it myself, I have to time it to be in melee range to begin with. Also, I believe that the pools of blood give lilke 10 coruption per tick or even more, which is an issue when you bring later mobs over.

However, 40 corruption almsot sounds like you are gitting hit by a shadow crash. Make certain you have chat bubble turned on in dbm, about 5%-10% of the time I do not see the graphic myself and have to watch the chat bubbles. We also have whichever tank is on the boss during the add phases calling out (by reading dbm warnings) who is getting the crash. When we execute propperly we can usually enter phase 2 with everyone at 0 corruption, or maybe a couple people at 10.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Epimer » Fri May 20, 2011 1:54 pm

The Depravity cast immediately follows a Shadow Crash cast. That gives you enough time to stop backpedalling and prepare to interrupt, or keep moving and be ready to hit AS if you're feeling lucky.
Epimer

Postby Haztank » Sun May 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks for the info given so far. I have a question. I've been thinking about our attempts a lot and one thing that I noticed was that the adds were slow to die. I know that after a certain length of time the adds cast an aoe that can wipe the raid but am I right in thinking that before the raid takes that damage there will be aoe that can affect me as the closest to the add? Festering Blood?
Haztank

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)