Remove Advertisements

Visiting England + Scotland..Recommendations?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Visiting England + Scotland..Recommendations?

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:26 am

Euphoria wrote:I lied my ass off and claimed I was Canadian so maybe that had something to do with it. Come to think of it, I've claimed I was a Canadian in every country I've visited with the exceptions of Canada and Trinidad.

:/
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Euphoria » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:54 am

sahiel wrote:
Discus wrote:Interesting how a thread about the UK so quickly turns to alcohol!

Yet hardly surprising, we do like the odd tipple ;)

On that note, be wary of Brits offering to buy you an 'apple juice' in a pub, specially if you hear the word 'scrumpy'!

Scrumpy Jack...Had a run-in with that stuff at a pub on Princes Street in Edinburgh. That was the night I realized that why I might be able to handily drink a Scotsman under the table there was absolutely zero chance of me doing the same to the six Aussie guys that were with us.

That honestly qualifies as one of the best nights of my life. Thanks for letting me take that particular trip down memory lane.
Euphoria

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Whatever you do, make sure you get off the beaten track.

Find those lovely little english pubs in backwater locations, next to a steam train line or a canal.
Goto the scottish highlands out of holiday season, and steer clear of the really big commercial distilleries.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby duruk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:26 am

Shyrtandros wrote:I've heard of people lying about where they are from.. I myself am not ashamed I will tell everyone who asks that I am from Texas :)

I know swedes lie and claim to be norwegian in Denmark, and the way the danish treat them (and the way a good deal of the swedes behave), I can't really blame them.

OT: I know a few people doing the canals every summer, sailing about on a boat. Kind of like a pub-to-pub crawl using boats.
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:03 pm

3 more working days then just a few hours until I fly awaaaaaay !!!!

I am beyond a state of excitement..
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Fetzie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:23 pm

bring us some photographs :D
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Discus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:40 am

There's a Bowmore in Ireland? I only knew of the one on Islay.

You are ofc correct, I meant Bushmills but some form of alcoholic freudian slip happened and I typed my favourite scottish single malt instead :lol:
Discus

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:22 am

Pyrea wrote:bring us some photographs :D

I plan on it, I have 12gigs of space on my camera.

I'm going to charge it up completely and have it ready to go :)
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:24 am

Shyrtandros

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:10 am

i am so jealous!
cant wait to see the pics!

btw, nice counter!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Shyrtandros » Sun May 08, 2011 3:05 pm

We're just over halfway through our trip, here is a list of some of the places we have been / things we've done.

Lynmouth, Barnstable, Linton, Cheddar Gorge & Cave, White Post Farm, Newark on Trent, Lincoln, Nottingham, North Scarle, Matlock Bath, Southwell, Kelham, Arnold, Ingoldmells.

Highlights: Day 1 at a rest stop I won the US equivalent of about 100 dollars(yay free souvenirs!). Walked the beach and rode lift inbetween Lynmouth and Linton. We got to eat REAL Cheddar from the home of Cheddar Cheese :)! We visited the amazing Lincoln cathedral and got to walk the walls of Lincoln Castle, We also visited Newark Castle & Nottingham Castle, while in Lincoln we decided to see Thor (It was very good BTW).

We leave tomorrow morning for Edinburgh, we plan to walk the Royal Mile, see the castle, climb Arthurs Seat, take a trip up to the National Aquarium of Scotland, and of course in general just roaming around and walking Edinburgh.

*EDIT*
I forgot to mention we went to Sherwood Forest, we got to see the Major Oak (or Great Oak) depending on where your from. I got to do some Archery while in the forest, I did decent on the targets but did really well on when shooting at the fake boar!
Shyrtandros

Postby masterpoobaa » Sun May 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Don't forget to take a picture of every pub you visit.
By the time your trip is over you should have enough pictures to fill a medium sized book. :lol:
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby halabar » Mon May 09, 2011 7:45 am

They have a Cheddar Cheese Cave there? England is more awesome than I thought.. :D
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Maverick13 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:56 am

no, we have a Wookie (wookey)Hole :P
Maverick13

Postby Candiru » Thu May 12, 2011 5:55 am

Are you going to visit Cambridge? Nice to go punting along the backs looking at all the old colleges. Oxford is also worth a look, but not quite as nice as Cambridge :p
Candiru

PreviousNext

Return to General