Remove Advertisements

4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 4.0.6 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Postby Firann » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

I was just wondering because I have the crafted one and i have 2.5k VP after tonights raids. Its either gonna be the chest, greaves of splendor or numbing that has to be replaced and I was reallyyyy hoping to get one of the blues changed first. I guess my fears have been confirmed xD

Thanks for the reply again!
Firann

Re: Tank Stage 3: Geared to Start Raiding

Postby Knievel » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Amulet of Protection

vs.

Carrier Wave Pendant

Doesn't the Mastery on the 346 item give it the slight edge over the 353?

Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture here. I keep treating Mastery as twice as good as avoidance provided by Dodge and Parry, yet it seems the better the gear the less the Mastery.

I have similar questions about other items such as Chestplate of the Steadfast vs. Reinforced Sapphirium Chestguard. Somebody straighten me out.
Knievel

Postby yappo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:43 am

Knievel wrote:Amulet of Protection

vs.

Carrier Wave Pendant

Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture here. I keep treating Mastery as twice as good as avoidance provided by Dodge and Parry, yet it seems the better the gear the less the Mastery.

I have similar questions about other items such as Chestplate of the Steadfast vs. Reinforced Sapphirium Chestguard. Somebody straighten me out.

The confusion stems from comparing apples with oranges.

For CTC mastery beats avoidance by a very, very wide margin.
For overall damage reduction mastery still beats avoidance, but the difference is nowhere as large.

0% damage taken beats 60% damage taken, hence the difference between CTC and overall damage reduction.
yappo

Postby Digren » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:43 am

yappo wrote:

vs.

Carrier Wave Pendant

For overall damage reduction mastery still beats avoidance, but the difference is nowhere as large.

0% damage taken beats 60% damage taken, hence the difference between CTC and overall damage reduction.

...which is exactly why I don't prioritize CTC in my recommendations. Otherwise people will start thinking that a piece with 10 more mastery rating (but much less avoidance and health and even threat) is better than a higher iLvl piece.

I think recommending for maximum damage reduction yields a better balanced understanding of the benefits of each stat.
Digren

Postby yappo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:01 am

Digren wrote:
yappo wrote:

...which is exactly why I don't prioritize CTC in my recommendations. Otherwise people will start thinking that a piece with 10 more mastery rating (but much less avoidance and health and even threat) is better than a higher iLvl piece.

I think recommending for maximum damage reduction yields a better balanced understanding of the benefits of each stat.

To be honest it'll be the same in most cases, but yes, I agree.

The one exception would be if I'm geared to the extent that a one percent extra CTC reliably would push me over 102.4. I don't see how I could defend being one percent "crittable" in that situation.

For others I believe the break-point comes earlier than that though. Reason being that the kill-range is likely to be taking two unblocked hits in a row, and that makes the benefit of closing the remaining gap to 102.4 scaling squarely. Somewhere above 95% CTC in a balanced set I'd guess will see this 'dispute' heating up again.
yappo

Postby Knievel » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:28 am

Digren wrote:
yappo wrote:

vs.

Carrier Wave Pendant

I apologize for my ignorance here, but it looks like you are suggesting that once the next iLevel item is available I need to go with that, and pick among those equivalent iLevel items for the best itemization. For example, Carrier Wave Pendant might be the best item for me at 346, but once I have 353 available I should get that even though CTC might be a little reduced, but the additional stam/str outweigh the difference. Same when there are 359 available, just find the best item in that tier of gear that fits my role.

As far as that goes, should I re-equip my Hardened Elemental Hauberk over the Chest of the Steadfast?

Am I reading that right, or taking it too far to extremes?
Knievel

Postby yappo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:09 am

Knievel wrote:I apologize for my ignorance here, but it looks like you are suggesting that once the next iLevel item is available I need to go with that, and pick among those equivalent iLevel items for the best itemization. For example, Carrier Wave Pendant might be the best item for me at 346, but once I have 353 available I should get that even though CTC might be a little reduced, but the additional stam/str outweigh the difference. Same when there are 359 available, just find the best item in that tier of gear that fits my role.

As far as that goes, should I re-equip my Hardened Elemental Hauberk over the Chest of the Steadfast?

Am I reading that right, or taking it too far to extremes?

Not really.

Let's pick this apart a bit.

Stamina (and by all means the basically non-existent resistance-gear) is your best friend in extremely magic-heavy fights. Nothing* you can avoid, block or even soak with armour.

Stamina is PROBABLY your best friend for any fight where the boss go HULK SMASH+ from time to time. This would hold true even if the damage is physical. Think Festergut three inhales.

Armour play the same role as before, mitigating physical damage, but as armour is more or less totally tied to ilevel, there really isn't all that much you can do about it.

For most of the fights in Cata, however, 'refusing to die' seems to be the best way to handle it from a tanking point of view. While you can't reliably reach the level where you 'refuse to die' unless you have some kind of base health covered, more health doesn't help you all that much.

Refusing to die can be achieved in two ways-.
1) You accept the absolute minimum of attacks to hit you, bypasing any defence you have. This is done by increasing CTC to the absolute maximum (and still maintaining the base health needed). 90% CTC is better than 88% CTC even if it means that you're going 10% dodge and 10% parry instead of 12% dodge and 13% parry to get the extra block needed to squeeze out those last 2% CTC.
2) You accept the absolute minimum of damage over some kind of statistical amount of time. Given the example above you'd configure your gear for 88% CTC, because over time 5% extra avoidance will reduce a lot more damage taken than 7% block.

All that said. Unless the higher ilevel item comes with a huge chunk of threat-stat (triple digit hit/expertize/haste/crit) it is indeed likely to be an upgrade over most anything with a lower ilevel. There are a few caveats though:

1) Agility converts into better than 60% dodge-rating.
2) Strength converts into better than 25% parry rating.
3) Mastery is, point for point, better than dodge or parry for BOTH CTC and overall damage reduction. I believe (Theck, bash me if I'm wrong) that there's equal benefit from a damage reduction point of view from 114 mastery and 132 avoidance-rating. The numbers should apply to 12% dodge or 13% parry -ish numbers.

Thus you can only trust stamina and armour to always increase in a known way as you increase ilevel, but you have to bring out that calculator when your ilevel 346 gear has 120 parry and dodge but that 353 item comes with 170 mastery and 80 haste-rating. 120 parry, 72 dodge and 48 mastery (because you did remember to reforge) versus 170 mastery and 48 parry (because, again, you reforged that haste). The 346 is probably better, unless you really want that extra stamina and armour, but it's not MUCH better, and we're comparing a tanking piece with a dps one now.

*For purposes of comparision we simply disregard the white-damage inflicted by the boss for these types of fights.
+HULK SMASH being defined as any attack that'll two-shot you from whatever health you can reliably have prior to attack.
-It used to be three ways, but we no longer have the option to drastically change the amount of armour available to us.
yappo

Postby GlockComa » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:48 am

It seems to me the T11 RET legs are better than the Tank legs.

Can someone confirm this?

I purchased each of them took note of the CTC then returned them. The ret one's gave me over 1% more CTC. Granted, the 4 piece would be nice but 6 seconds more GoaK doesn't seem worth giving up all that mastery on the ret legs. And I'm also taking into account that replacing the gloves/hands/shoulder to get the 4 piece bonus would be silly as well based on the superior non tier pieces.
GlockComa

Postby Digren » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:26 pm

GlockComa wrote:It seems to me the T11 RET legs are better than the Tank legs.

Can someone confirm this?

I purchased each of them took note of the CTC then returned them. The ret one's gave me over 1% more CTC. Granted, the 4 piece would be nice but 6 seconds more GoaK doesn't seem worth giving up all that mastery on the ret legs. And I'm also taking into account that replacing the gloves/hands/shoulder to get the 4 piece bonus would be silly as well based on the superior non tier pieces.

The tank legs provide better overall damage reduction, so no, the ret legs are not "better" period full stop.

Now if your goal is ctc, then yeah the ret may very well provide more. Likewise, if you can hit the block cap, then maybe the ret legs are better. But those are not universal conditions.
Digren

Postby GlockComa » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:20 am

Ok thanks for the reply and thanks for the exceptional guide.

Couldn't this be included as a neck option in the normal raid section: [color=b048f8]Buc-Zakai Choker[/color]
GlockComa

Postby Digren » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:39 am

GlockComa wrote:Ok thanks for the reply and thanks for the exceptional guide.

Couldn't this be included as a neck option in the normal raid section: [color=b048f8]Buc-Zakai Choker[/color]

That piece is worse than several iLvl 346 items, so it's not really worthy of inclusion on that or any other list.
Digren

4.0.6 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Postby Digren » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:40 am

Tank Stages

Introduction

Giving generic advice to all tanks isn't easy. What a tank needs as a new 85 differs greatly than what he or she needs deep into Cataclysm raiding. However, the process is greatly simplified if tanks are categorized into tiers, each based on a step in the development process. Hence: tank stages.

Blizzard's WotLK gear strategy fit well into this. With each raid tier, new badge gear emerged that let a new raider "catch up" with relative ease. This meant that patches didn't add a new tier - they just shifted the average iLvl of the old ones - keeping a simple tier model viable. I assume this will continue in Cataclysm.

This represents the latest information in the form of my own experiences as well as others here on Maintankadin. If you see a mistake or have a comment, post it!

All content for this guide is by Digren, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0, except the following:
  1. Best for EH, Best for Block, and Best for Threat icons, as well as names of places, items, and lore, may be the property of Blizzard. I make no claims on them and use them in good faith as a third-party fan site.
  2. Tip icon by YasmineMrabet licensed under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0. Thanks!
  3. Quotes and comments from others used in good faith. Let me know if you want them removed.

-- Digren

What are Tank Stages

Level 85 tanks can be roughly divided into five stages based on the equipment they have and the content they're equipped for. While leveling to 85 in patch 4.0.3a, an extra tier (level 0) is warranted on a temporary basis.

0. Leveling 80 to 85. A tank leveling from 80 to 85 may start with a wide variety of WotLK equipment, but all should end up in the same place. If your Wrath gear is below iLvl 251, you'll replace it quickly; otherwise it may take some time to find suitable upgrades. (Look for gear with more stamina and mastery.) In general, mastery and the changes to block mechanics have made the block cap a viable strategy again. Reforging allows a tank to convert a large amount of dodge or parry rating to mastery, reducing heavily-diminished stats for one with no diminishing returns. This is as viable of a leveling strategy as any.

Image New 85. A new level 85 tank has gear that he or she acquired while leveling, through quests or dungeons, or has gear buyable or craftable within an hour of reaching level 85. This tank wants to get into dungeons and build a (normal) dungeon gear set, which, when reached, makes the tank stage two.

Image Ready for Heroics. The dungeon finder has a strict requirement - average iLvl 329 - to queue for Cata heroics. Thus it's less easy for an undergeared tank to slip into them wearing new 85 gear. Hence, an intermediate dungeon stage is warranted, for tanks who have been running normal dungeons and are now equipped for heroics.

Image Ready for Raiding. A stage three tank has a complete set of heroic dungeon gear, plus the best quest and craftable items outside of raids. He or she is ready for raiding. Yappo's "Failsafe" Guide recommends a guaranteed set of gear at this level, and provides a path to optimally achieve it.

Image Normal Raider. A stage three tank is a normal-mode raider on either 10 or 25. He or she seeks a best-in-slot set for non-heroic gear. For some tanks, this is the peak of ability. Others, depending on guild and playstyle, will use this as a stepping stone to reach stage five.

5. Heroic Raider. A stage five tank is a heroic raider on either 10 or 25. He or she can face the toughest encounters in game and emerge victorious. This tank seeks best-in-slot for all pieces.

Image By knowing your stage of progression as a tank, you know how to read and use the recommendations in my guides.

Gearing Strategy

Shocking as it sounds to some people, tanks can wear more than one set of gear. When fighting the biggest, baddest, hardest-hitting bosses, a gear set that maximizes survivability is vital. When mowing through trash on the way to the boss, maximum threat is more important. Combining both tasks in the same gear fails to maximize either.

So what gear is required? In the absence of other gimmick-style encounters, tanks need two gear sets:
  1. A maximum survivability set, made up of the best acquirable gear.
  2. A maximum threat set, made up of next-best, old, and alternative gear.
When reviewing the following gear lists, one item at each gear level is marked with Image to indicate that it is the best option for survivability. One or more other items are marked with Image to indicate that they would make the basis of a good threat set.

Image Do I have to carry two full sets of gear?
    Image Goodness no. You can likely maximize threat by switching 3-4 threat pieces into your survivability set. Take a look at the threat character models provided for ideas.

Stat Considerations

With Justice/Valor points, reputation gear, crafted epics, and so forth, more and more tanks are able to choose what they equip. This means gear is less "take what you can get" and more "take the best". Thus a stat consideration section is necessary now for a gearing guide.

Survival Stats

Mastery Rating
    Mastery for tankadins provides block chance, and blocks provide damage mitigation. In Burning Crusade, reaching 102.4% combined avoidance + block chance pushed +50%-damage crushing blows off the combat table, reducing incoming damage by far more than just the tank's measly block value. With the removal of crushing blows in WotLK, this strategy fell out favor.

Now, however, block again reduces incoming melee damage by a significant amount - 40% (or more depending on meta gem selection). Once again trying to push "regular" hits off the combat table makes sense. Note that it's not possible for non-end-game raiders to block cap in Cataclysm (at least through T11), but nevertheless mastery rating reduces incoming damage more than dodge or parry rating. In Cataclysm, consider blocked hits the norm, and unblocked hits as +70% damage. Welcome back crushing blows!

But wait - mastery gets even better. In terms of itemization points, mastery rating is 75% better than armor. (See section two, 1/0.5714 = 1.75 or 175%.) And when avoidance+block is sufficiently high, the 1% block meta is better than the armor meta.

Of course mastery rating only reduces incoming damage for physical, blockable attacks. However, it is one of only a few stats not subject to diminishing returns. 179.28 points of mastery rating yield one mastery, and each point of mastery yields 2.25% block chance. Cutting out the middle stat, that means 79.68 mastery rating yields 1% block chance. Keep in mind that a regular stage 1-4 tank might have 50-90% avoidance+block, so an additional 1% block chance converts 2-10% of incoming full hits into blocked hits.

The equivalence of stamina to blocking is more difficult and encounter-dependent, but in general, mastery rating is better than all other (non stamina) stats. Besides from gear, mastery rating can be acquired through reforging at minimal cost (by replacing unneeded threat stats and dodge or parry rating). A block rating shield enchant provides similar benefit.

The fact that mastery rating reduces incoming damage so well, smooths damage spikes, and isn't subject to diminishing returns, makes it one of the best survival stats. Much of this gearing guide and the companion item enhancement guide is designed around getting you as much mastery as possible.

Stamina
    Each point of stamina provides [14 x 1.05 x 1.15 x 1.05 = 17.75025] health. Stamina is still the best way to survive bleeds and magic damage, which are not blockable or mitigated by armor. However, for most encounters the majority of incoming damage is physical and blockable, making encounters that differ often called "gimmick" encounters tanked by "gimmick" tanks (like mages) or in "gimmick" gear (like a resist set). Thus the comparison between mastery and stamina is not easy, and is very encounter dependent. This guide uses a baseline recommended health at each tank stage, and then suggests gearing for mastery above that level.

Dodge and Parry Rating
    Both dodge and parry rating yield pure avoidance from avoidable, physical damage. Both are subject to diminishing returns. Per Theck's derivations, 1 mastery rating is better than 1 dodge rating once your character sheet dodge exceeds 8.9705%, and 1 mastery rating is better than 1 parry rating once your character sheet parry exceeds 10.1896%. Thus for pretty much everyone, mastery rating is better than dodge or parry rating. Dodge and parry rating are still better than threat stats, though.

Armor
    There aren't many options for bonus armor any more. Per Theck's derivations, 1 mastery rating is worth approximately as much as 7 armor.

Agility and Strength
    Agility provides 60.9% of the dodge of dodge rating, while strength provides about 25% of the parry of parry rating. Both are subject to diminishing returns, but the discrepancy in avoidance stats means that, when pieces are otherwise identical, a piece with agility is better for survival than a piece with strength. This mostly applies to trinkets, cloaks, neck gear, etc., where paladins can wear gear designed for agility classes.

Threat Stats

See Theck's stat threat comparison.

Hit Rating, Expertise Rating, and Strength
    Hit and expertise rating plus strength are the "better" threat stats. That said, at this point threat is still pretty trivial. When tanks are dumping Holy Power into WoG instead of a threat ability, clearly threat doesn't matter. These stats should not be sought out (and indeed, in many cases they should be reforged into mastery). But, when unavoidable, they are somewhat more useful than any other threat stats.

Image Wait a second! Didn't 4.0.6's nerf to Holy Power generation mean we must aim for the hit and expertise caps?
      Image No! While focused on the nerf, everyone overlooked the buffs to other threat abilities. You only need to cap to guarantee Holy Power generation. You don't need the cap to hold aggro. At most, switch to Seal of Truth with its glyph for some "free" expertise.

Expertise is the best threat stat, up to the dodge soft cap where its value fades somewhat and hit takes over. Above the hit melee cap, however, expertise is again king, up to the expertize parry cap. Strength - the best threat stat for WotLK - is a distant third. For threat sets, aim for expertise up to 25, then hit up to 8%, then expertise up to 55, before attempting to stack any other threat stats. Above the melee cap hit rating is wasted.

The change to hit rating gems (to blue) leads to a new conflict. Tanks often pick gems in threat gear to be threat/stamina; in other words, they often use a combo gem (to pick up the socket) while still getting some amount of health. Because hit rating now conflicts directly with stamina, it may be harder to acquire without an increased impact on health. This might increase the relative value of hit rating enchants, meaning that threat sets would need to include the specific pieces where hit rating enhancements are available. Keep an eye out for gear that could form part of a threat set; preferably this gear would have threat/mastery bonuses and be for a slot with a good hit or expertise enchant.

Haste and Crit Rating
    These "lesser" threat stats don't appear on tank gear. However, they do regularly appear on DPS pieces (such as ret gear) alongside mastery rating. Given how good mastery rating can be for tanks, occasionally gear with these stats will appear in a tank gear guide. In general, the only value that these stats provide is as something to reforge to mastery rating. Gear with haste or crit but without mastery does not appear in this guide and is not considered tank viable.

Gear Selection

When selecting gear, choose to
  1. Maintain the recommended health baseline for your stage, and
  2. Reduce spikes and incoming damage via mastery
Other stats are secondary or are provided automatically in most cases (like armor). Of course this is very dependent on the gear. A piece with just 60 mastery rating might not be as good as a piece with 200 dodge rating, all else equal, depending on your specific diminishing returns. In general, though, gear is rated based on the two "green" stats as follows.
  1. Mastery / Avoidance
    Gear with mastery rating and either dodge or parry rating is usually the best possible gear. Everything else is second tier.
  2. Mastery / Threat
    Gear with mastery and a threat stat - either a good or "lesser" stat - is good if there is enough mastery rating. Reforge the threat stat into either dodge or parry rating. This gear is about as good as avoidance / avoidance gear, so any two pieces need to be compared directly to identify the better option.
  3. Avoidance / Avoidance
    Gear with two avoidance stats is good. Reforge one of the two avoidance stats into mastery rating. This gear is about as good as mastery/threat gear, so any two pieces need to be compared directly to identify the better option.
  4. Avoidance / Threat
    Gear with either dodge or parry rating and a threat stat isn't as good, because only a small portion of mastery can be created with reforging, and the remaining threat stat isn't useful. This is the lowest tier of tank gear. Refer to a reforging guide for information on how to correctly reforge these items.
Digren

Tank Stage 0: Leveling 80-85 without ICC Gear

Postby Digren » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:42 am

Tank Stage 0: Leveling 80-85 without ICC Gear

Starting gear for level 80 tanks will vary widely, from those who just reached 80 with a few dungeon heroics, to those fully equipped in iLvl 277 heroic ICC gear. In general, as always, what you do while leveling doesn't really matter. If you have a set of ICC gear, you probably won't replace anything until the second tier of leveling zones (roughly iLvl 300 gear or higher). However if you lack ICC gear then these items will be solid upgrades as you go.

Either way, look ahead to the stage 1 gear list, and plan accordingly. Some of the best items are available from specific dungeons and quests. You should aim for those as you level to be well equipped to start level 85 dungeoning.

1. Lacking level 80 raid/points gear? Use Vash'jir or Hyjal quest rewards, or buy Hardened Obsidium.

Digren says, "The Hardened Obsidium set only requires level 80 to wear, and blacksmiths should be crafting it from the first day of Cataclysm. If you lack level 80 purples and struggle with level 80-82 quest content, buy a set."

[Hardened Obsidium Helm] : Req. Lev. 80 : BoE Blacksmithing
    [Hardened Obsidium Shoulders] : Req. Lev. 80 : BoE Blacksmithing
    [Hardened Obsidium Breastplate] : Req. Lev. 80 : BoE Blacksmithing
    [Hardened Obsidium Bracers] : Req. Lev. 80 : BoE Blacksmithing
    [Hardened Obsidium Gauntlets] : Req. Lev. 80 : BoE Blacksmithing
    [Hardened Obsidium Belt] : Req. Lev. 80 : BoE Blacksmithing
    [Hardened Obsidium Legguards] : Req. Lev. 80 : BoE Blacksmithing
    [Hardened Obsidium Boots] : Req. Lev. 80 : BoE Blacksmithing
    [Hardened Obsidium Shield] : Req. Lev. 80 : BoE Blacksmithing

"If you're a blacksmith, you can make this set for yourself. Required ingredients for the entire set are: 33x Folden Obsidium (made from 66x Obsidium Bar), 46x Elementium Bar, 17x Volatile Earth, 1x Elemental Flux.

"Alternative option: Run Blackrock Caverns a few times. See the level one list for the available tank gear from this level 80 Cataclysm leveling dungeon."

2. Reforge your gear for mastery.

Digren says, "Mastery increases block chance and isn't subject to diminishing returns. In beta and on the PTR, many tanks found that a loss of 4-5% dodge chance (for example) would yield an increase of 20% block chance, pushing their total chance to avoid or block over 75%. Block's new 40%-off mechanic makes it much stronger than before, effectively setting a new baseline; consider blocked hits the norm and unblocked hits as +70% damage. Welcome back crushing blows!

"Assuming you have a comfortable threat lead for leveling, I recommend stacking mastery as follows: Reforge the largest of Hit Rating, Expertise Rating, Dodge Rating, or Parry Rating on each piece into Mastery Rating.

"If you are concerned about your threat, stick to Dodge and Parry Rating for reforging.

3. Plan your leveling strategy.

Digren says, "Look ahead at the stage one gear list, and plan your leveling strategy accordingly. Note in particular the large selection of stage one items available from Twilight Highlands quests. Even if you otherwise level up through grinding, PVP, or a gathering profession, completing the Twilight Highlands quest lines will yield a reasonable gear set to begin level 85 play. Don't forget to visit the leveling dungeons too!"
Digren

Tank Stage 1: New 85

Postby Digren » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:43 am

Tank Stage 1: New 85

Digren says, "So, you're level 85. Now what? This is what you should already have, or what you should buy, before you fire up the dungeon finder and get a group."

Rules for stage 1 gear:
  1. Able to be acquired within an hour of reaching level 85.
  2. If from crafting, at a reasonable cost.
  3. If from questing, from a pre-85 quest.
  4. If from a dungeon, from a pre-84 instance.
  5. If from a faction, from one that can be acquired while leveling, at no more than honored.
  6. If from "points", from a small amount that can be earned while leveling.
A stage one tank will have about 115k health, and around 65% avoidance + block, when properly equipped with reasonable enhancements.

Character Models

Tank Stage One - Engineer / Enchanter - Survival Gear

Digren says, "My goal for this set was to build a realistic target for a new 85 tank. Questing through Vash'jir yields enough Earthen Ring faction to buy the greaves once 85; a lucky run through each of Vortex Pinnacle and the Stonecore provide two drop and one quest pieces. One Justice Points piece is included (1250 points), but there are suitable near replacements if you don't have points banked from level 80 play. Everything else comes from Uldum or Twilight Highlands quests."

Stage one survival model

A character with this gear set has:
      • 122k health
      • 25.4% dodge+parry+miss
      • 42.7% block (for a total combat table coverage of 68.1%)
      • 3.15% hit and 15 expertise including glyph (18 for a human)
      The character is well-equipped to begin normal dungeons.

Gear List

Head
      1. [Headcover of Fog] : Req. Lev. 81 : The Vortex Pinnacle (Normal) Grand Vizier Ertan
      2. [Gatekeeper's Helm] / [Helm of Durable Hatred] : Req. Lev. 84 : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Precious Goods / Precious Goods
      3. [False-Face Mask] / [Great General's Crown] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) The Great Escape / Salhet the Tactician
      4. [Hardened Obsidium Helm] : Req. Lev. 80 : BoE Blacksmithing

Digren says, "The Vortex Pinnacle drop wins due to its large allocation of parry rating - leading to more mastery rating via reforging."
    Neck
      1. [The Lustrous Eye] : Req. Lev. 85 : 1250 Justice Points
      2. [Elementium Guardian] : Req. Lev. 85 : BoE Jewelcrafting
      2. [Mountain's Mouth] : Req. Lev. 83 : Guardians of Hyjal (Honored)
      3. [Blood Gout Amulet] : Req. Lev. 83 : BoE World Drop
      3. Pendant of the Lightless Grotto : Req. Lev. 81 : The Stonecore (Normal) Ozruk
      3. [Cenotaph Choker] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) Minions of Al'Akir
      4. [Carrier Wave Pendant] : Req. Lev. 78 : Blackrock Caverns (Normal) Ascendant Lord Obsidius
      4. [Necklace of the Dead City] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) The Fall of Neferset City

Digren says, "Obviously the cost of the Lustrous Eye is steep for those without Justice Points saved from level 80. Most others should pick up one of the second-tier options."
    Shoulders
      1. [Pharoah's Burial Spaulders] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) Harrison Jones and the Temple of Uldum
      2. [Wyrmhunter Spaulders] : Req. Lev. 84 : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Blackout
      3. [Pauldrons of Unholy Rituals] : Req. Lev. 82 : The Stonecore (Quest) Followers and Leaders
      3. [Song-Reflecting Spaulders] / [Shredder-Salvage Spaulders] : Req. Lev. 84 : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Siren's Song / Mo' Better Shredder
      4. [Terrath's Rocky Spaulders] : Req. Lev. 81 : Deepholm (Quest) Resonating Blow
      5. [Raz's Pauldrons] : Req. Lev. 78 : Blackrock Caverns (Normal) Ascendant Lord Obsidius
      6. [Staffseeker Shoulderplates] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) Just the Tip
      7. [Hardened Obsidium Shoulders] : Req. Lev. 80 : BoE Blacksmithing

Digren says, "Uldum's conclusion provides the best starter shoulders. If you can't stand Uldum, then choose from the selection of quest rewards from the other zones."
    Back
      1. [Cloak of War] : Req. Lev. 83 : BoE Leatherworking
      2. [Cloak of Beasts] : Req. Lev. 83 : BoE Leatherworking
      3. [Shroud of Dark Memories] : Req. Lev. 83 : Grim Batol (Normal and Heroic) BoE Random Drop
      3. [Shroud of the Dead] : Req. Lev. 83 : Ramkahen (Honored)
      4. [Drape of Lost Valuables] : Req. Lev. 84 : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Small Comforts
      4. [Cloak of Itesh] : Req. Lev. 82 : The Vortex Pinnacle (Quest) A Long Way from Home
      4. [Billowing Cape] : Req. Lev. 81 : The Vortex Pinnacle (Normal) Asaad
      4. [Drape of Fiery Dreams] : Req. Lev. 83 : BoE World Drop
      4. [Shade of Death] : Req. Lev. 85 : BoE Dungeon Drop
      5. [Cloak of Rich Anger] : Req. Lev. 84 : BoE World Drop
      6. [Stonerender Drape] : Req. Lev. 81 : Deepholm (Quest) Therazane's Mercy
      6. [Burned Gatherings] : Req. Lev. 78 : Blackrock Caverns (Normal) Karsh Steelbender

Digren says, "The Cloak of War isn't the best BoE Leatherworking option, but it's the best at a reasonable price for a new 85. That said, I expect most new stage one tanks to buy a Shroud of the Dead and use it until a heroic cloak is acquired."
    Chest
      1. [Flynn's Favorite Chestplate] / [Skyshredder Battleplate] : Req. Lev. 84 : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Doing It Like a Dunwald / Krazz Works!
      2. [Harbinger's Breastplate] : BoE Dungeon Drop
      2. [Redsteel Breastplate] : BoE Blacksmithing
      3. [Gateshattering Hauberk] / [Gateshattering Hauberk] : Req. Lev. 83 : Deepholm (Quest)
      4. [Beauty's Plate] : Req. Lev. 78 : Blackrock Caverns (Normal) Beauty
      5. [Keg-Sized Chestplate] / [Ogre-Slayer Chestplate] : Req. Lev. 84 : Twilight Highlands (Quest)

Digren says, "I was wearing a Keg-Sized Chestplate when I reached level 85, but replaced it soon thereafter with Flynn's."
    Wrists
      1. [Terborus's Rotating Bands] : Req. Lev. 83 : Deepholm (Terborus)
      2. [Dunwald's Finest Bindings] : Twilight Highlands (Quest) A Steady Supply
      3. [Ankh-Inscribed Bracers] : Uldum (Quest) A Favor for the Furrier

Digren says, "There just aren't many usable bracers. Terborus's bands are from a rare spawn in Deepholm. Dunwald's are Alliance only. At stage two there are two dungeon drops, but I wore Dunwald's into stage three."
    Hands
      1. [Oath-Bound Gauntlets] : BoE Dungeon Drop
      2. [Gloves of Gnomebliteration] : Uldum (Quest) Gnomebliteration
      3. [Klem's Rusted Gauntlets] / [Klem's Rusted Gauntlets] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)
      4. [Grips of the Damned Mind] / [Grips of the Damned Mind] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)

Digren says, "You know you love Gnomebliteration. Don't bother buying the Oath-Bound Gauntlets; you can get a better pair relatively quickly at stage two or three."
    Waist
      1. [Garr's Girdle of Memories] : Req. Lev. 85 : Mount Hyjal (Garr) BoE Rare Elite Drop
      2. [Belt of Guardianship] : Req. Lev. 85 : BoE Dungeon Drop
      3. [Hevna's Eye Socket] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) The Root of the Corruption
      4. [Stoutwaist Girdle] / [Skyfallen Plate Belt] : Req. Lev. 84 : Twilight Highlands / Azshara (Quest) The Loyalty of Clan Mullan / Twilight Skies
      5. [Gyreworm Waistguard] : Req. Lev. 81 : Deepholm (Quest) A Rock Amongst Many
      5. [Redsteel Belt] : Req. Lev. 81 : BoE Blacksmithing

Digren says, "Both blue belts are BoE and might be available at a good price on the auction house. Otherwise Hevna's Eye Socket is a good substitute."
    Legs
      1. [Stone-Wrapped Greaves] : Req. Lev. 83 : The Earthen Ring (Honored)
      2. [Redsteel Legguards] : Req. Lev. 82 : BoE Blacksmithing
      3. [Greaves of Orsis] : Req. Lev. 82 : The Vortex Pinnacle (Quest) Vengeance for Orsis

Digren says, "With the Greaves of Orsis available to anyone pre-85, there's no need to list further options."
    Feet
      1. [Commander's Stompers] / [Gate-Breaker Treads] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)
      1. [Darksky Treads] : The Vortex Pinnacle (Normal or Heroic) BoE Random Drop
      2. [Femurbreak Stompers] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) Be Prepared

Digren says, "The boots you wear when you turn 85 don't matter. Run Lost City of the Tol'vir and pick up your Ramkahen Front Boots right away."
    Fingers
      1. [Elementium Destroyer's Ring] : BoE Jewelcrafting
      2. [Elementium Moebius Band] : BoE Jewelcrafting
      3. [Temple Band] : Twilight Highlands (Normal or Heroic) BoE Random Drop
      4. [Galrond's Band] : Guardians of Hyjal (Honored)
      4. [Worldbinger Signet] : Deepholm (Quest) The World Pillar Fragment
      5. [Ring of Glimmering Water] : Uldum (Quest) Riding Shotgun!
      6. [Dark-Eye Ring] : Req. Lev. 84 : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Eye Spy

Digren says, "If you have the gold, buy a pair of rings as soon as you hit 85. They'll last you a long time. Otherwise, keep working on factions (and check the stage two list) as you will have several options open up at revered. Keep in mind that agility contributes to dodge, which is why rings with agility and mastery rank so high."
    Weapon
    Survivability
      [Elementium Fang] : The Stonecore (Normal) High Priestess Azil
    Threat
      [Calder's Coated Carrion Carver] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)
      [Downfall Hammer] : ???
      [Barrel Opener] / [Keg Smasher] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)
      [Heavy Geode Mace] : The Stonecore (Normal or Heroic) BoE Random Drop
      [Vir'naal Guardsman's Axe] : Uldum (Quest)
      [Dirk's Command] : ???
      [Axe of the Deadly Price] : ???
    Mixed Survivability / Threat
      [Mace of the Gullet] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)
      [Dragonscorn Mace] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)
      [Riftrent Waraxe] : Deepholm (Quest)
      [Loyal Blade] : ???
      [Decapitator's Razor] : BoE Blacksmithing
      [Axe of the Eclipse] : The Vortex Pinnacle (Normal) Altairus
      [Dragonsaw Boneblade] : Deepholm (Quest)

Shield
      1. [Shield of the Four Grey Towers] : Req. Lev. 85 : 950 Justice Points
      2. [Truthbreaker Shield] / [Twilight Mirrorshield] : Stormwind City / Orgrimmar (Quest)
      3. [Bulwark of the Scorned Man] : Req. Lev. 84 : ???
      4. [Shield of the Iron Maiden] : Req. Lev. 78 : Blackrock Caverns (Rom'ogg Bonecrusher)

Relic
      [Notched Jawbone] : Req. Lev. 85 : BoE Inscription
      [Halted Clock] : ???
      [Shore-Cleansing Standard] / [Blackblood Freedom Standard] : Req. Lev. 84 : Twilight Highlands (Quest)
      [Stalagmite Dragon] : Req. Lev. 81 : The Stonecore (Normal) Slabhide
      [Etched Horn] : Req. Lev. 81 : BoE Inscription
      [Ashes of Youth] : Req. Lev. 83 : ???
      [Namkhare's Cabochon Charm] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) Lieutenants of Darkness
      [Emerald Heart] : Req. Lev. 81 : Deepholm (Quest) The Axe of Earthly Sundering

Trinkets
      Digren says, "Trinkets are different. They offer a large amount of a focused stat in an easily-swappable form. Keep several handy and you can swap the feel of your entire gear set. I recommend acquiring two each of mastery, stamina, and threat, and learning when to use them."

Mastery

[Lifebound Alchemist Stone] : Mastery/Stamina + Survival : BoP Alchemy
      [Volatile Alchemist Stone] : Mastery/Threat + Survival : BoP Alchemy
      [Figurine - King of Boars] : Mastery + Threat : BoP Jewelcrafting
      [Elementium Dragonling] : Mastery + Pet : BoE Engineering Only
      [Blood-Soaked Ale Mug] / [Juju of Nimbleness] : Mastery + Avoidance : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Once More Into the Fire / Night Terrors

Stamina

[Figurine - Earthen Guardian] : Stamina + Avoidance : BoP Jewelcrafting
      [Za'brox's Lucky Tooth] / [Za'brox's Lucky Tooth] : Stamina + Mastery : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Four Heads Are Better Than None / Four Heads Are Better Than None
      [Leaden Despair] : Stamina + Survival : The Stonecore (Normal) High Priestess Azil

Threat (Hit Rating)

[Figurine - Demon Panther] : Hit + Avoidance : BoP Jewelcrafting
      [Soul's Anguish] : Hit + Threat : BoE Dungeon Drop
      [Key to the Endless Chamber] : Hit + Avoidance : The Stonecore (Normal) Corborus
      [Might of the Ocean] : Hit + Threat : Throne of the Tides (Normal) Neptulon's Cache

Threat (Expertise Rating)

[Magnetite Mirror] : Expertise + Threat : The Stonecore (Normal) High Priestess Azil

Digren

Tank Stage 2: Geared for Heroics

Postby Digren » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:45 am

Tank Stage 2: Geared for Heroics

Digren says, "Blizzard demands average iLvl 329 to use the heroic dungeon finder While you can be carried through heroics with less, this set will ensure you can pull your own weight. Obviously if you do get into a few heroics early, a few pieces of better gear could pull up your average quickly."

Rules for stage 2 gear:
  1. Able to be acquired within three weeks of reaching level 85.
  2. No raiding or heroic (85) instances required.
  3. No super rare, super expensive BoE raid drops.
  4. Nothing that requires exalted reputation.
A stage two tank will have about 130k health, and around 70% avoidance + block, when properly equipped with reasonable enhancements.

Character Model

Tank Stage Two - Engineer / Enchanter - Survival Gear

Digren says, "With a few reputations pushed to honored, and a few lucky dungeon drops, a tank can become ready for heroic dungeons."

Stage two survival model

A character with this gear set has:
      • 132k health
      • 28.8% dodge+parry+miss
      • 41.7% block (for a total combat table coverage of 70.5%)
      • 2.35% hit and 20 expertise including glyph (23 for a human)
      The character is well-equipped to begin heroic dungeons.

Gear List

Head
      1. [Helm of the Proud] : 2200 Justice Points
      2. [Helm of Easeful Death] : 2200 Justice Points
      3. [Grinning Fang Helm] / [Crown of Wings] : Dragonmaw Clan / Wildhammer Clan (Revered)
      4. [Helm of Setesh] : Halls of Origination (Normal) Setesh

Digren says, "If you have the Justice Points, the Helm of the Proud is a clear favorite due to its high stamina, mastery, and avoidance once gemmed and reforged. If 2200 Justice Points are out of reach pre-heroics, however, the Twilight Highlands faction piece is easy to get and an acceptable substitute."
    Neck
      1. [The Lustrous Eye] : 1250 Justice Points
      1. [Acorn of the Daughter Tree] : Guardians of Hyjal (Revered)
      2. [Elementium Guardian] : BoE Jewelcrafting
      2. [Mountain's Mouth] : Guardians of Hyjal (Honored)
      3. [Pendant of Victorious Fury] : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Battle of Life and Death
      4. [Shard of Pirouetting Happiness] : Shadowfang Keep (Love Is In the Air) Apothecary Hummel
      5. [Darkhowl Amulet] : Halls of Origination (Normal) Temple Guardian Anhuur

Digren says, "The Acorn of the Daughter Tree is a stealth favorite due to agility's contribution to dodge. At least pick up a Mountain's Mouth before starting heroics; honored reputation is trivial."
    Shoulders
      1. [Sunburnt Pauldrons] : 1650 Justice Points
      2. [Earthshape Pauldrons] : Grim Batol (Normal) Drahga Shadowburner
      3. [Pharoah's Burial Spaulders] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) Harrison Jones and the Temple of Uldum
      4. [Pauldrons of the High Requiem] : 1650 Justice Points

Digren says, "If you don't plan to buy Pauldrons of Edward the Odd (see the stage three list), then investing in Sunburnt Pauldrons is a wise choice."
    Back
      1. [Twilight Dragonscale Cloak] : BoE Leatherworking
      2. [Razor-Edged Cloak] : BoE Leatherworking
      3. [Kaleki Cloak] : Lost City of the Tol'vir (Normal) General Husam
      3. [Cloak of War] : BoE Leatherworking
      4. [Cloak of Beasts] : BoE Leatherworking
      5. [Shroud of Dark Memories] : Grim Batol (Normal and Heroic) BoE Random Drop
      5. [Shroud of the Dead] : Ramkahen (Honored)

Digren says, "The Twilight Dragonscale Cloak is a really good piece. It's also likely a really expensive piece. Look ahead to the stage 3 list and note the Wrap of the Great Turtle, from Guardians of Hyjal at exalted. Unless you have a pocket leatherworker or luck into a Kaleki Cloak, I recommend sticking with your Shroud of the Dead until stage 3."
    Chest
      1. [Chestplate of the Steadfast] : 2200 Justice Points
      2. [Elementium Deathplate] : BoE Blacksmithing
      3. [Hardened Elementium Hauberk] : BoE Blacksmithing
      4. [Breastplate of the Witness] : Grim Batol (Quest) Closing a Dark Chapter
      5. [Flynn's Favorite Chestplate] / [Skyshredder Battleplate] : Req. Lev. 84 : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Doing It Like a Dunwald / Krazz Works!
      6. [Breastplate of the Risen Land] : Halls of Origination (Normal) Earthrager Ptah
      6. [Harbinger's Breastplate] : BoE Dungeon Drop
      6. [Redsteel Breastplate] : BoE Blacksmithing

Digren says, "Anyone can pick up a Breastplate of the Witness, and from there save for a Chestplate of the Steadfast."
    Wrists
      1. [Terborus's Rotating Bands] : Deepholm (Terborus)
      2. [Alpha Bracers] : Halls of Origination (Normal) Anraphet
      3. [Armguards of Unearthly Light] : Halls of Origination (Normal) Isiset

Digren says, "Options are few, with dungeon drops or a rare spawn. I wore stage one Dunwald's Finest Bindings all the way through to stage three."
    Hands
      1. [Numbing Handguards] : 1650 Justice Points
      2. [Fingers of Light] : Halls of Origination (Normal) Rajh
      3. [Oath-Bound Gauntlets] : BoE Dungeon Drop
      4. [Gloves of Gnomebliteration] : Uldum (Quest) Gnomebliteration

Digren says, "If you have the justice points, buy the Numbing Handguards. They are best in slot for non-raiders and will serve you well through heroics. Otherwise, if you don't luck into one of the dungeon drops, stick with Gnomebliteration."
    Waist
      1. [Girdle of the Mountains] : 1650 Justice Points
      2. [Beech Green Belt] : 1650 Justice Points
      3. [Garr's Girdle of Memories] : Mount Hyjal (Garr) BoE Rare Elite Drop
      4. [Sand Dune Belt] : Lost City of the Tol'vir (Normal) Lockmaw
      5. [Belt of Guardianship] : Req. Lev. 85 : BoE Dungeon Drop

Digren says, "Buy the Justice Points belt if you can."
    Legs
      1. [Greaves of Splendor] : 2200 Justice Points
      2. [Stone-Wrapped Greaves] : The Earthen Ring (Honored)

Digren says, "Greaves of Splendor are a great stepping stone for any tank."
    Feet
      1. [Ramkahen Front Boots] : Lost City of the Tol'vir (Quest) The Source of Their Power

Digren says, "Go get them."
    Fingers
      1. [Elementium Destroyer's Ring] : BoE Jewelcrafting
      2. [Elementium Moebius Band] : BoE Jewelcrafting
      3. [Felsen's Ring of Resolve] : Therazane (Revered)
      4. [Terrath's Signet of Balance] : Therazane (Revered)
      5. [Red Rock Band] : Ramkahen (Revered)
      6. [Temple Band] : Twilight Highlands (Normal or Heroic) BoE Random Drop
      6. [Ring of Three Lights] : Lost City of the Tol'vir (Normal) Siamat

Digren says, "Rings with agility and mastery work well due to agility's contribution to dodge. This basically sidesteps the unique-equipped attribute of many ring options; you can take both the strength and agility rings from Therazane or your local jewelcrafter and be pretty well set for heroics. If you use the jewelcrafting rings, wear them all the way to your first raid. Other iLvl 333 options aren't as good as these and aren't worth listing, given that everyone has access to the choices above."
    Weapon
    Survivability
      -
    Threat
      [Elementium Bonesplitter] : BoE Blacksmithing
      [Resonant Kris] : Lost City of the Tol'vir (Normal) High Prophet Barim
      [Hammer of Sparks] : Lost City of the Tol'vir (Normal) Siamat
    Mixed Survivability / Threat
      [Ravening Slicer] / [Ravening Slicer] : Baradin's Wardens / Hellscream's Reach (Revered)
      [Elementium Gutslicer] : BoE Blacksmithing
      [Sun Strike] : Halls of Origination (Normal) Rajh
      [Mace of Transformed Bone] : Grim Batol (Normal) Erudax
      [Mace of the Gullet] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)
      [Dragonscorn Mace] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)

Shield
      [Shield of the Four Grey Towers] : 950 Justice Points
      [Truthbreaker Shield] / [Twilight Mirrorshield] : Stormwind City / Orgrimmar (Quest)
      [Bulwark of the Primordial Mound] : Halls of Origination (Normal) Ammunae or Earthrager Ptah

Relic
      [Notched Jawbone] : BoE Inscription
      [Shore-Cleansing Standard] / [Blackblood Freedom Standard] : Req. Lev. 84 : Twilight Highlands (Quest)

Trinkets
      Digren says, "Trinkets are different. They offer a large amount of a focused stat in an easily-swappable form. Keep several handy and you can swap the feel of your entire gear set. I recommend acquiring two each of mastery, stamina, and threat, and learning when to use them."

Mastery

[Volatile Alchemist Stone] : Mastery/Threat + Survival : BoP Alchemy
      [Figurine - King of Boars] : Mastery + Threat : BoP Jewelcrafting
      [Impetuous Query] : Mastery + Avoidance : Lost City of the Tol'vir (Normal and Heroic) BoE Dungeon Drop
      [Elementium Dragonling] : Mastery + Pet : BoE Engineering Only
      [Baradin Footman's Tags] / [Baradin Grunt's Talisman] : Baradin's Wardens / Hellscream's Reach (Honored)
      [Tia's Grace] : Mastery + Avoidance : Lost City of the Tol'vir (Normal) Siamat

Stamina

[Figurine - Earthen Guardian] : Stamina + Avoidance : BoP Jewelcrafting
      [Za'brox's Lucky Tooth] / [Za'brox's Lucky Tooth] : Stamina + Mastery : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Four Heads Are Better Than None / Four Heads Are Better Than None
      [Leaden Despair] : Stamina + Survival : The Stonecore (Normal) High Priestess Azil

Threat (Hit Rating)

[Figurine - Demon Panther] : Hit + Avoidance : BoP Jewelcrafting
      [Soul's Anguish] : Hit + Threat : BoE Dungeon Drop
      [Right Eye of Rajh] : Halls of Origination (Normal) Rajh
      [Key to the Endless Chamber] : Hit + Avoidance : The Stonecore (Normal) Corborus

Threat (Expertise Rating)

[Left Eye of Rajh] : Expertise + Avoidance : Halls of Origination (Normal) Rajh
      [Magnetite Mirror] : Expertise + Threat : The Stonecore (Normal) High Priestess Azil

Digren

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice