Game of Thrones

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Aerron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:47 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Speaking of the children and ages, it was noticed elsewhere that Rickon, the youngest Stark (2-3 ish?) has not made an appearance in the show.

Actually, I remember seeing him in one scene, wherein he only laughs and gets no lines. But there were a lot of characters that were difficult to recognize. Most of the group I watched with didn't recognize the (helmetless) Hound, until I pointed out the "weird hair-do on that one dude" was actually supposed to be part of his burns.
Aerron

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:11 pm

Yeah, I noticed the Hound in his helmet when they first arrived, and then a brief look at him without later - his scars seem to cover a lot less of his face than I expected.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo was ftw
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Gabe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:14 pm

d503 wrote:
Gabe wrote:Except the scene where they pay their respects to Lyanna was after the scene with the U-turn.

If you're watching the series to be a word-for-word depiction of scenes from the book to the screen, maybe you should just go re-read the book, 'cause you're not going to find that in any adaptation of any book to screen.

Pacing in books is dramatically different to pacing in movies/series. What is important to the reader is not necessarily important to the viewer.

Not having this as an expectation just leads to disappointment.

Yeah, I... *Sigh* If you read my original post you find that it was hardly my point that they didn't do turnabouts in the books.

It was that something about the direction of the show made it feel play-like, that I felt like I was watching people play the characters rather than the actual characters acting. Not fault of the actors, I think, but something in how they set up the scenes and the angles they shot the thing in. Maybe that's just me being overly used to the nowadays ubiquitous method of using "realistic", shaky handcam type of camerawork or maybe I'm just too stuck to my images of the characters, as you suggest.

So the reason why I brought up the scene was to give an example of a situation in the series that made me feel that way. Something like that just drops me right out of an experience. Not a big minus, and by the looks of it something I was in the minority in.

Pacing being a bit off is a different issue and, as I already mentioned, is an unavoidable problem with a TV adaptation and thus can't be held against the series.

Anyway dragging on for too long, apologies. Have to get that last word, or words in. :D

My biggest positive surprise of the cast was the guy they chose to play Jaime. It sort of feels like he's in a different kind of a series from the rest of the characters, which fits Jaime perfectly.
Gabe

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:44 pm

Gabe wrote:It was that something about the direction of the show made it feel play-like, that I felt like I was watching people play the characters rather than the actual characters acting. Not fault of the actors, I think, but something in how they set up the scenes and the angles they shot the thing in. Maybe that's just me being overly used to the nowadays ubiquitous method of using "realistic", shaky handcam type of camerawork or maybe I'm just too stuck to my images of the characters, as you suggest.

ugh... camera shake is terrible, I'm sick of it.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Gabe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Sabindeus wrote:ugh... camera shake is terrible, I'm sick of it.

Not too found of it either. Just used to it.
Gabe

Postby Hamuga » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi, long time lurker, had to sign up for this thread.

Rickon is in the show, he looks like he is 7 years old or so.
Sansa said she was 13 when the queen asked.

I really liked the show it felt like a really good adaption to the books.
My wife likes the show but said it felt too rushed.
I think it will slow down a tad in a few episodes after people get hooked to the concept. At the same time they have a lot of info to squeeze into a handful of episodes.

HBO agreed to sign on for a second season, so it must be doing well ratings wise.

If you are reading the books, keep reading, they are amazing.
Book 5 is "set" to come out in June, but he has already missed the due date a bunch of times, so we will have to wait and see.
Hamuga

Postby sapientialb » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:12 pm

I was surprised at the relatively slow start (for an hour long episode format) even though the books start that way. Oftentimes TV and movie adaptations of books start with something action packed to grab the attention of their ADD viewers.

Its been forever since I read it, so going back through now and on book two. It'll be interesting to see how HBO treats some of the more grotesque scenes. Looking forward to seeing if they can make a certain main character's trek up a mountain to see his/her sister "feel" like it did in the book.

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Postby cerwillis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:28 pm

FYI folks:
Book 5: A Dance With Dragons - Available July 12, 2011
More than excited here. /changepants
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Mannstein » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Hamuga wrote:
HBO agreed to sign on for a second season, so it must be doing well ratings wise.

If you are reading the books, keep reading, they are amazing.
Book 5 is "set" to come out in June, but he has already missed the due date a bunch of times, so we will have to wait and see.

Trying not to derail but, am i the only one that thought that on fourth book, he completly lost the plot\story\any quality?
C'mon, iirc it was very bad, honestly i just wanted to end, and when it ended, i place it on the special "never to reread/worst book ever" shelf?
(disclamer: Loved the other ones and can't wait for the series)
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby Aerron » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Mannstein wrote:Trying not to derail but, am i the only one that thought that on fourth book, he completly lost the plot\story\any quality?
C'mon, iirc it was very bad, honestly i just wanted to end, and when it ended, i place it on the special "never to reread/worst book ever" shelf?

I wouldn't categorize it as "very bad" or "never to reread." In fact, I just read it again recently. It's a stage setting novel, preparing for the opening of the next act.

Most of my friends who complain about it generally cite that 1) their favorite characters aren't in it; or 2) they don't like the POV characters that ARE in it. That's more a matter of personal taste, rather than an inherent flaw in quality.
Aerron

Postby Hamuga » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:45 pm

Mannstein wrote:
Trying not to derail but, am i the only one that thought that on fourth book, he completly lost the plot\story\any quality?

Upon reading this I had a flood of memories come back to me about book 4.
I would change my last statement and say that books 2 and 3 are amazing!
Book 4 is a stage setter for book 5 like Aerron said.
It's not bad, but far from my favorite, and easily the least read.

Now back to waiting for episode 2. (not Attack of the Clones)
Hamuga

Postby sahiel » Mon May 23, 2011 1:28 pm

'A crown... for a king' :D

Series just keeps getting better and better imo, liking the fact Jason Momoa is getting more screen time and actually some lines! Tyrion is still stealing the show though, they really picked the perfect actor to play him, the frustration he felt trying to talk to the gaoler was incredibly well shown.

Can't wait for the next episode!
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Mon May 23, 2011 1:38 pm

sahiel wrote:the frustration he felt trying to talk to the gaoler was incredibly well shown.

"The concept of possession can be an abstract one." Got a LOL out of me.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Mon May 23, 2011 1:55 pm

sahiel wrote:'A crown... for a king' :D

Series just keeps getting better and better imo, liking the fact Jason Momoa is getting more screen time and actually some lines! Tyrion is still stealing the show though, they really picked the perfect actor to play him, the frustration he felt trying to talk to the gaoler was incredibly well shown.

Can't wait for the next episode!

Actually, ever since episode 2 and my jest regarding Sean Bean, I picked up all 4 books at once and have been devouring them -- almost finished with the 4th book actually -- and I must say Tyrion is the best character in the series, both tv show and book, the fact that Peter Dinklage plays him on tv makes it all much the better.

I should note that picking right away on Sean Bean's character due to him being always typecasted made me LOL when I was reading the book.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General