Game of Thrones

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby d503 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 am

Agreed with Sabin...bit too nitpicky thurr...
User avatar
d503
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Northern California, US

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby cerwillis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:11 am

I would also have to say that Cersei certainly looked put upon to be dragged up to the North, and she is clearly already positioning for power in the "unlikely event" of Robert's death. The scene with Sansa is indeed a good one.

Please keep in mind that any heavy-handedness is due to very likely possibility that they will have to condense an entire chapter into one scene in some cases. It's not a question of IF they will be condensing, but how they treat it when they do. Catelyn's conversation with Bran about climbing certainly didn't go down like that in the book, but it served the same purpose and was unoffensive IMO.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
User avatar
cerwillis
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:00 am

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby d503 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:22 am

cerwillis wrote:I would also have to say that Cersei certainly looked put upon to be dragged up to the North, and she is clearly already positioning for power in the "unlikely event" of Robert's death. The scene with Sansa is indeed a good one.

Please keep in mind that any heavy-handedness is due to very likely possibility that they will have to condense an entire chapter into one scene in some cases. It's not a question of IF they will be condensing, but how they treat it when they do. Catelyn's conversation with Bran about climbing certainly didn't go down like that in the book, but it served the same purpose and was unoffensive IMO.


Certainly what people should be expecting with an adaptation to film/series, is conveyance of basic character and flaws that are pertinent to the story (be it the main story, or a side story).

A good example of it done well was the Bran climbing you mention above.

A bad example would be Faramir's characterization in LOTR. While I was fine with how it "ended" with his character, I was a bit upset when they made him such a twat in the movies.
User avatar
d503
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Northern California, US

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:23 am

We're at the point now where I read A Game of Thrones SO LONG AGO that I really don't remember any details about what happened, just general overall plot and stuff. Like in the prologue part at the Wall I couldn't remember if Jon Snow was there yet or not. So watching this for me is like, reading it again for the first time or something like that. As such I think I am going to be extremely quick to forgive them any deviance from the original because I straight up don't remember it.

Side Note: the scene with Tyrion in the whorehouse was awesome (for many reasons)
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 6043
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:51 am

If a character is played by Sean Bean, you know he's gonna die.

*scurries*
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9361
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Aerron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:57 am

Sabindeus wrote:
The Hound's casting bothers me. Other than that, and Cat being a bit old, the rest of the cast was spot on.


I thought Catelyn was cast perfectly, but ok.


I thought she played the role well, but she just seemed older than I would have pictured her. That said, they bumped everyone's age up by at least 2 years so that some of the other scenes would be palatable to a general audience, so it's not that big of a deal.
Aerron
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby d503 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:01 am

Klaudandus wrote:If a character is played by Sean Bean, you know he's gonna die.

*scurries*


If that's a book spoiler, please stop doing it...there will inevitably be some new fans that come about as a result of this series (I am one of them) who are in process of reading the books, etc. I'm sure we'd rather not be spoiled on main plot points in the books :(

If it's a joke, cheers, I chuckled :)
User avatar
d503
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Northern California, US

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:04 am

Never read the book actually, so I don't know. In fact, didn't even get to watch it on Sunday -- gonna download it once I get home.

But I can't remember a character that Sean Bean has portrayed that has not died or been removed from the plot before the end of the movie.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9361
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby thatguy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:38 am

Watched it. Enjoyed it. Will be anxiously awaiting the next installment.
thatguy
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:11 am

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Gabe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 am

cerwillis wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
Gabe wrote:I suppose it felt a bit too much like a play; the stage is set, people walk onto it and do their stuff and then walk away, like they're doing a scene. A good example was the when Rob and Ed were walking in the catacombs. First they walk in one direction, then stop to chat and finally turn around and go back the way they came.


iirc they were going to go pay respects to Ned's sister.

Yeah, I mean, how many catacombs have a front and back door? They went in, Robert paid his respects to the sister, whined a bit, and then made his proposal to Ned, they then exited, I don't see the problem.


Except the scene where they pay their respects to Lyanna was after the scene with the U-turn.
Gabe
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:33 am

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby d503 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Gabe wrote:Except the scene where they pay their respects to Lyanna was after the scene with the U-turn.


If you're watching the series to be a word-for-word depiction of scenes from the book to the screen, maybe you should just go re-read the book, 'cause you're not going to find that in any adaptation of any book to screen.

Pacing in books is dramatically different to pacing in movies/series. What is important to the reader is not necessarily important to the viewer.

Not having this as an expectation just leads to disappointment.
User avatar
d503
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Northern California, US

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Aerron wrote:That said, they bumped everyone's age up by at least 2 years so that some of the other scenes would be palatable to a general audience, so it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah, I just started rereading the book and Bran is 7, Jon Snow is 14, etc... TV show Sansa is apparently a late bloomer... (Haven't reached Sansa in the book yet, but she was only about 13 by the third/fourth book iirc.)
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:16 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:
Aerron wrote:That said, they bumped everyone's age up by at least 2 years so that some of the other scenes would be palatable to a general audience, so it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah, I just started rereading the book and Bran is 7, Jon Snow is 14, etc... TV show Sansa is apparently a late bloomer... (Haven't reached Sansa in the book yet, but she was only about 13 by the third/fourth book iirc.)


Just in terms of finding viable actors for everyone, the age increases do not bother me even a little.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 6043
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Aerron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:17 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:
Aerron wrote:That said, they bumped everyone's age up by at least 2 years so that some of the other scenes would be palatable to a general audience, so it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah, I just started rereading the book and Bran is 7, Jon Snow is 14, etc... TV show Sansa is apparently a late bloomer... (Haven't reached Sansa in the book yet, but she was only about 13 by the third/fourth book iirc.)


Right, and in the show they make it a point to mention of Bran being 10. So if you add 3 onto about everybody, you'd probably be in the right range.

I think Sansa starts off as 12 in Game of Thrones, and by Storm of Swords she's supposed to be fourteen. So you're looking at a 15 to 17 range?
Aerron
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby d503 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:
Aerron wrote:That said, they bumped everyone's age up by at least 2 years so that some of the other scenes would be palatable to a general audience, so it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah, I just started rereading the book and Bran is 7, Jon Snow is 14, etc... TV show Sansa is apparently a late bloomer... (Haven't reached Sansa in the book yet, but she was only about 13 by the third/fourth book iirc.)


Just in terms of finding viable actors for everyone, the age increases do not bother me even a little.


Yeah, I'd rather fudge an age by two years than have a shitty "anakin."
User avatar
d503
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Northern California, US

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:19 pm

that having been said, I really like the kid playing Bran. What little I've seen of him really nails it imo.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 6043
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Aerron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:20 pm

d503 wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Just in terms of finding viable actors for everyone, the age increases do not bother me even a little.


Yeah, I'd rather fudge an age by two years than have a shitty "anakin."


Well, I think the concern was more that some of those characters have scenes that a general TV audience, even an HBO one, might have issues coming to grips with.

I'd make a comment about murderous children not being give a second thought, but any more detail than that might border on spoilerish.
Aerron
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby d503 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Aerron wrote:
d503 wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:but any more detail than that might border on spoilerish.

<3 :D
User avatar
d503
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Northern California, US

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby kennywu54 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:28 pm

kennywu54
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:54 am

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Speaking of the children and ages, it was noticed elsewhere that Rickon, the youngest Stark (2-3 ish?) has not made an appearance in the show.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Aerron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:47 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Speaking of the children and ages, it was noticed elsewhere that Rickon, the youngest Stark (2-3 ish?) has not made an appearance in the show.


Actually, I remember seeing him in one scene, wherein he only laughs and gets no lines. But there were a lot of characters that were difficult to recognize. Most of the group I watched with didn't recognize the (helmetless) Hound, until I pointed out the "weird hair-do on that one dude" was actually supposed to be part of his burns.
Aerron
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:11 pm

Yeah, I noticed the Hound in his helmet when they first arrived, and then a brief look at him without later - his scars seem to cover a lot less of his face than I expected.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo was ftw
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 6043
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Gabe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:14 pm

d503 wrote:
Gabe wrote:Except the scene where they pay their respects to Lyanna was after the scene with the U-turn.


If you're watching the series to be a word-for-word depiction of scenes from the book to the screen, maybe you should just go re-read the book, 'cause you're not going to find that in any adaptation of any book to screen.

Pacing in books is dramatically different to pacing in movies/series. What is important to the reader is not necessarily important to the viewer.

Not having this as an expectation just leads to disappointment.


Yeah, I... *Sigh* If you read my original post you find that it was hardly my point that they didn't do turnabouts in the books.

It was that something about the direction of the show made it feel play-like, that I felt like I was watching people play the characters rather than the actual characters acting. Not fault of the actors, I think, but something in how they set up the scenes and the angles they shot the thing in. Maybe that's just me being overly used to the nowadays ubiquitous method of using "realistic", shaky handcam type of camerawork or maybe I'm just too stuck to my images of the characters, as you suggest.

So the reason why I brought up the scene was to give an example of a situation in the series that made me feel that way. Something like that just drops me right out of an experience. Not a big minus, and by the looks of it something I was in the minority in.

Pacing being a bit off is a different issue and, as I already mentioned, is an unavoidable problem with a TV adaptation and thus can't be held against the series.

Anyway dragging on for too long, apologies. Have to get that last word, or words in. :D

My biggest positive surprise of the cast was the guy they chose to play Jaime. It sort of feels like he's in a different kind of a series from the rest of the characters, which fits Jaime perfectly.
Gabe
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:33 am

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:44 pm

Gabe wrote:It was that something about the direction of the show made it feel play-like, that I felt like I was watching people play the characters rather than the actual characters acting. Not fault of the actors, I think, but something in how they set up the scenes and the angles they shot the thing in. Maybe that's just me being overly used to the nowadays ubiquitous method of using "realistic", shaky handcam type of camerawork or maybe I'm just too stuck to my images of the characters, as you suggest.

ugh... camera shake is terrible, I'm sick of it.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 6043
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest