Remove Advertisements

Game of Thrones

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Aerron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:57 am

Sabindeus wrote:
The Hound's casting bothers me. Other than that, and Cat being a bit old, the rest of the cast was spot on.

I thought Catelyn was cast perfectly, but ok.

I thought she played the role well, but she just seemed older than I would have pictured her. That said, they bumped everyone's age up by at least 2 years so that some of the other scenes would be palatable to a general audience, so it's not that big of a deal.
Aerron

Postby d503 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:01 am

Klaudandus wrote:If a character is played by Sean Bean, you know he's gonna die.

*scurries*

If that's a book spoiler, please stop doing it...there will inevitably be some new fans that come about as a result of this series (I am one of them) who are in process of reading the books, etc. I'm sure we'd rather not be spoiled on main plot points in the books :(

If it's a joke, cheers, I chuckled :)
d503

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:04 am

Never read the book actually, so I don't know. In fact, didn't even get to watch it on Sunday -- gonna download it once I get home.

But I can't remember a character that Sean Bean has portrayed that has not died or been removed from the plot before the end of the movie.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby thatguy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:38 am

Watched it. Enjoyed it. Will be anxiously awaiting the next installment.
thatguy

Postby Gabe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 am

cerwillis wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
Gabe wrote:I suppose it felt a bit too much like a play; the stage is set, people walk onto it and do their stuff and then walk away, like they're doing a scene. A good example was the when Rob and Ed were walking in the catacombs. First they walk in one direction, then stop to chat and finally turn around and go back the way they came.

iirc they were going to go pay respects to Ned's sister.

Yeah, I mean, how many catacombs have a front and back door? They went in, Robert paid his respects to the sister, whined a bit, and then made his proposal to Ned, they then exited, I don't see the problem.

Except the scene where they pay their respects to Lyanna was after the scene with the U-turn.
Gabe

Postby d503 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Gabe wrote:Except the scene where they pay their respects to Lyanna was after the scene with the U-turn.

If you're watching the series to be a word-for-word depiction of scenes from the book to the screen, maybe you should just go re-read the book, 'cause you're not going to find that in any adaptation of any book to screen.

Pacing in books is dramatically different to pacing in movies/series. What is important to the reader is not necessarily important to the viewer.

Not having this as an expectation just leads to disappointment.
d503

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Aerron wrote:That said, they bumped everyone's age up by at least 2 years so that some of the other scenes would be palatable to a general audience, so it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah, I just started rereading the book and Bran is 7, Jon Snow is 14, etc... TV show Sansa is apparently a late bloomer... (Haven't reached Sansa in the book yet, but she was only about 13 by the third/fourth book iirc.)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:16 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:
Aerron wrote:That said, they bumped everyone's age up by at least 2 years so that some of the other scenes would be palatable to a general audience, so it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah, I just started rereading the book and Bran is 7, Jon Snow is 14, etc... TV show Sansa is apparently a late bloomer... (Haven't reached Sansa in the book yet, but she was only about 13 by the third/fourth book iirc.)

Just in terms of finding viable actors for everyone, the age increases do not bother me even a little.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Aerron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:17 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:

Right, and in the show they make it a point to mention of Bran being 10. So if you add 3 onto about everybody, you'd probably be in the right range.

I think Sansa starts off as 12 in Game of Thrones, and by Storm of Swords she's supposed to be fourteen. So you're looking at a 15 to 17 range?
Aerron

Postby d503 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:

Just in terms of finding viable actors for everyone, the age increases do not bother me even a little.

Yeah, I'd rather fudge an age by two years than have a shitty "anakin."
d503

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:19 pm

that having been said, I really like the kid playing Bran. What little I've seen of him really nails it imo.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Aerron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:20 pm

d503 wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Just in terms of finding viable actors for everyone, the age increases do not bother me even a little.

Yeah, I'd rather fudge an age by two years than have a shitty "anakin."

Well, I think the concern was more that some of those characters have scenes that a general TV audience, even an HBO one, might have issues coming to grips with.

I'd make a comment about murderous children not being give a second thought, but any more detail than that might border on spoilerish.
Aerron

Postby d503 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Aerron wrote:
d503 wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:but any more detail than that might border on spoilerish.

<3 :D
d503

Postby kennywu54 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:28 pm

kennywu54

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Speaking of the children and ages, it was noticed elsewhere that Rickon, the youngest Stark (2-3 ish?) has not made an appearance in the show.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to General