Remove Advertisements

Game of Thrones

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:51 pm

Watched it, it was awesome. Everything was awesome.

DIREWOLF PUPPIES SO CUTE D'AWWWWW
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby d503 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Watched it, it was awesome. Everything was awesome.

DIREWOLF PUPPIES SO CUTE D'AWWWWW

We are free to talk!!!

It bothered me ever-so-slightly that they made it seem like the secret they were trying to prevent Bran from spilling was their "relations," where in the book they were also discussing the murder of Jon Arryn. In the book, it didn't even seem as if Bran understood what they were doing (too young).

Now, I've only read 150pp into book one, so no spoils pls, but does anyone else agree?

Again, very slight annoyance, but something I noticed. The over-arching point is the same, so I don't mind that much.
d503

Postby Gabe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:26 am

Adored the cast, the staging, the music and how faithful to the books they were, but darn did they cram a lot of stuff in the first episode. The books were great in how they slowly built up the world so I'm worried some of the magic will be lost to the people new to the franchise. But that's TV for you, not like it was unexpected.

My biggest gripe though was the camera work and the direction. I can't articulate exactly what the problem with it was, but something about the chosen angles, etc. felt forced and cliched. Particularly the pans in the scenes where Dany was wistfully gazing at the horizon irked me.

I suppose it felt a bit too much like a play; the stage is set, people walk onto it and do their stuff and then walk away, like they're doing a scene. A good example was the when Rob and Ed were walking in the catacombs. First they walk in one direction, then stop to chat and finally turn around and go back the way they came.

Just feels like they weren't really taking an advantage of the possibilities of TV media yet still suffering from its aforementioned limitations.

I really liked it though. Just wouldn't be a nerd if I didn't have the compulsory need to bitch about the things I love.
Gabe

Postby VikrumthePally » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:06 am

Hrm. If you don't want to be spoiled...

Don't click on the link?!?!?!

It was obvious up front that the topic was the tv show. Right then you should have just gotten out of the thread imo.
VikrumthePally

Postby VikrumthePally » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:12 am

I too liked the intro with the map. What's interesting is as the story develops the opening map will continue to change so you can keep track of what's going on and where. I think that is a pretty nice touch.

I think the casting is spot on! Although I am a big fan of Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) I really don't think he's gonna steal the scenes he's in. They have built an amazing cast around him; that I think can hold their own.

My one and only gripe about the show is Khal Drogo. He's way too pretty to be some gritty barbarian, again just my opinion. I loved the show!
VikrumthePally

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:26 am

VikrumthePally wrote:Hrm. If you don't want to be spoiled...

Don't click on the link?!?!?!

It was obvious up front that the topic was the tv show. Right then you should have just gotten out of the thread imo.

<- moderator. I have to read everything. :P
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:27 am

Gabe wrote:I suppose it felt a bit too much like a play; the stage is set, people walk onto it and do their stuff and then walk away, like they're doing a scene. A good example was the when Rob and Ed were walking in the catacombs. First they walk in one direction, then stop to chat and finally turn around and go back the way they came.

iirc they were going to go pay respects to Ned's sister.
Sabindeus

Postby cerwillis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:34 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Gabe wrote:I suppose it felt a bit too much like a play; the stage is set, people walk onto it and do their stuff and then walk away, like they're doing a scene. A good example was the when Rob and Ed were walking in the catacombs. First they walk in one direction, then stop to chat and finally turn around and go back the way they came.

iirc they were going to go pay respects to Ned's sister.

Yeah, I mean, how many catacombs have a front and back door? They went in, Robert paid his respects to the sister, whined a bit, and then made his proposal to Ned, they then exited, I don't see the problem.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Aerron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:31 am

Something that sort of bothered me was the tone change for various characters. E.g., Cersei in this part of the book still manages to come off as a whining, pampered bitch. But in the show ... well, she almost felt like a sympathetic character.

The Hound's casting bothers me. Other than that, and Cat being a bit old, the rest of the cast was spot on.

The bedroom scene with Lysa's letter also bothered me. The fact that the director put Cat and Maester Luwin in the background so that the effect was one over either of Ned's shoulders, representing conflicting opinions, just came off as waaayyy too heavy-handed for me.
Aerron

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:55 am

Aerron wrote:Something that sort of bothered me was the tone change for various characters. E.g., Cersei in this part of the book still manages to come off as a whining, pampered bitch. But in the show ... well, she almost felt like a sympathetic character.

She did??? I got the exact opposite. Like when she was praising Sansa the acting was amazingly subtley bitter.

The Hound's casting bothers me. Other than that, and Cat being a bit old, the rest of the cast was spot on.

I thought Catelyn was cast perfectly, but ok.
The bedroom scene with Lysa's letter also bothered me. The fact that the director put Cat and Maester Luwin in the background so that the effect was one over either of Ned's shoulders, representing conflicting opinions, just came off as waaayyy too heavy-handed for me.

:/ come on
Sabindeus

Postby d503 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 am

Agreed with Sabin...bit too nitpicky thurr...
d503

Postby cerwillis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:11 am

I would also have to say that Cersei certainly looked put upon to be dragged up to the North, and she is clearly already positioning for power in the "unlikely event" of Robert's death. The scene with Sansa is indeed a good one.

Please keep in mind that any heavy-handedness is due to very likely possibility that they will have to condense an entire chapter into one scene in some cases. It's not a question of IF they will be condensing, but how they treat it when they do. Catelyn's conversation with Bran about climbing certainly didn't go down like that in the book, but it served the same purpose and was unoffensive IMO.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby d503 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:22 am

cerwillis wrote:I would also have to say that Cersei certainly looked put upon to be dragged up to the North, and she is clearly already positioning for power in the "unlikely event" of Robert's death. The scene with Sansa is indeed a good one.

Please keep in mind that any heavy-handedness is due to very likely possibility that they will have to condense an entire chapter into one scene in some cases. It's not a question of IF they will be condensing, but how they treat it when they do. Catelyn's conversation with Bran about climbing certainly didn't go down like that in the book, but it served the same purpose and was unoffensive IMO.

Certainly what people should be expecting with an adaptation to film/series, is conveyance of basic character and flaws that are pertinent to the story (be it the main story, or a side story).

A good example of it done well was the Bran climbing you mention above.

A bad example would be Faramir's characterization in LOTR. While I was fine with how it "ended" with his character, I was a bit upset when they made him such a twat in the movies.
d503

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:23 am

We're at the point now where I read A Game of Thrones SO LONG AGO that I really don't remember any details about what happened, just general overall plot and stuff. Like in the prologue part at the Wall I couldn't remember if Jon Snow was there yet or not. So watching this for me is like, reading it again for the first time or something like that. As such I think I am going to be extremely quick to forgive them any deviance from the original because I straight up don't remember it.

Side Note: the scene with Tyrion in the whorehouse was awesome (for many reasons)
Sabindeus

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:51 am

If a character is played by Sean Bean, you know he's gonna die.

*scurries*
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General