Remove Advertisements

Kingdom Tower

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Kingdom Tower

Postby duruk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:06 pm

I can't really remember where I saw it (might have been a TED Talk), but there is apparently research going into this problem, using a molecular system rather than a pump system.

Briefly, they were going to run capillary tubes up the entire building, and have water suck itself up. Sounds like a fun idea and a good on if it works. I haven't looked closely at the theory though, so apply a grain of salt where appropriate.
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:14 pm

duruk wrote:I can't really remember where I saw it (might have been a TED Talk), but there is apparently research going into this problem, using a molecular system rather than a pump system.

Briefly, they were going to run capillary tubes up the entire building, and have water suck itself up. Sounds like a fun idea and a good on if it works. I haven't looked closely at the theory though, so apply a grain of salt where appropriate.

I heard about it, but I don't think it will work for such a large scale product. Capillary systems work best under small regions, like a rhizome or capillary veins. There's a reason all organisms bigger than a blot of fungus use centralized circulatory systems like veins and xylems.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby duruk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:I heard about it, but I don't think it will work for such a large scale product. Capillary systems work best under small regions, like a rhizome or capillary veins. There's a reason all organisms bigger than a blot of fungus use centralized circulatory systems like veins and xylems.

Kind of like trees, right? ;)

IIRC, they weren't trying to get it up all in one go, but in multiple steps, with reservoirs between the tubes. I don't think there is anything fundamentally flawed with the system, I'm just curious if they can get the volume/h needed.
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Yes, like trees, they have a centralized circulatory system. You can kill a tree by strangling it.

I wonder how they can do it in a practical manner, particularly without turning the tower into a sponge.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Tev » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 am

Tev

Postby Lightbeard » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:04 am

Ladies care about width over length anyway.
Lightbeard

Postby Brekkie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:25 pm

The part about this that makes it even more absurd is that most office buildings in Saudi Arabia are over 75% unoccupied because there's not enough actual work going on in these cities to warrant all the office space.
The skyscrapers are almost entirely a phallic status symbol.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Brekkie wrote:The part about this that makes it even more absurd is that most office buildings in Saudi Arabia are over 75% unoccupied because there's not enough actual work going on in these cities to warrant all the office space.
The skyscrapers are almost entirely a phallic status symbol.

When WEREN'T they such? I'm all for Acropolis levels of construction, but so far it simply isn't necessary.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Masumi » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:48 pm

I am sorry if it might sound like a bad comment but it does seem that this building will just look like a really big target for terrorist acts. if this is taken as a bad comment I am sorry again before hand but it's my current view of this project.
Want to know how I am currently feeling? listen to the music in this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdNWYUMZpo
Masumi

Postby Lightbeard » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:24 pm

Masumi wrote:I am sorry if it might sound like a bad comment but it does seem that this building will just look like a really big target for terrorist acts. if this is taken as a bad comment I am sorry again before hand but it's my current view of this project.

It's an easy target sure but it's not a target terrorists would gain anything from attacking as opposed to a densely populated area.
Lightbeard

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Masumi wrote:I am sorry if it might sound like a bad comment but it does seem that this building will just look like a really big target for terrorist acts. if this is taken as a bad comment I am sorry again before hand but it's my current view of this project.

No, not really. And people who take offense to that are, to me, over dramatic. I know a couple people whose friends&family took a hit from the WTC incident and they never really felt bothered by it past the obligatory mourning that comes from losing a loved one.

You are right, to a point. Generally speaking any symbol is a valid target for morale damage, which the Kingdom Tower will be as soon as it thrives. I don't believe, though, that should be a reason to avoid building it, but I don't know enough about psychology/mass psychology/SPENDINGMONIES! to make a more informed opinion.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:15 am

I love these forums... I come here to read about WoW and end up getting sucked (pun intended) into a water pump discussion :D. I do wonder about one of the other links on that site though... Wiiii. Supposedly going to be more powerful than a PS3 or Xbox360...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Blackharon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:34 am

Skye1013 wrote:I love these forums... I come here to read about WoW and end up getting sucked (pun intended) into a water pump discussion :D. I do wonder about one of the other links on that site though... Wiiii. Supposedly going to be more powerful than a PS3 or Xbox360...

The childishness in me hopes they call it the Wii^2 making it the Wii(Wii)
The Cat's out of the bag!
Pickpawcket for iPhone and iPad
http://www.pickpawcket.com
Blackharon

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:46 am

But you can smoke Wiihd...
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Masumi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:45 am

wonder when wii 3 comes out are they just going to add two more ii?
Want to know how I am currently feeling? listen to the music in this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdNWYUMZpo
Masumi

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum