Need help learning how to interupt properly.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Need help learning how to interupt properly.

Postby spatulor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:11 pm

I think I'm probably fortunate I didn't start playing as a clicker - I've always used wasd+qe in conjunction with the mouse for movement, while using tilde through six or seven or so, as well as shift, ctrl, and alt modifiers, for most of my abilities.

One of my friends heals on a shaman with every applicable button bound to his mouse, using the f-keys for targeting. But then, he has a Wow mouse, (that I gave him since I didn't like it) and I use a Razer Lachesis. Things bound to my mouse: Autorun, Camera Flip, Hammer of Wrath, and Rebuke.

The closest I get to being a clicker is when I'm healing, when I click my targets, but I never got in the habit of using mouseover heals, or healbot. After reading what Theck said about keybinds taking a step out of your mental decision-making process as compared to clicking, I'll probably try to work out a way to handle heal targets with binds. I think that healing on mouseover would have the same problem as clicking abilities, in that you have to be watching what you're doing, instead of just doing what you're doing. I always knew that clicking wasn't as efficient, but I could never elucidate why.
spatulor
Maintankadonor

Postby Proudmoore » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Brekkie wrote:@Theckhd
I think the biggest reason I dislike using modifiers is because Shift, Ctrl, and Alt surround that devastating little button, Windows, which makes you tab out if you accidentally hit it instead.

Disabling the Caps-Lock and Windows key via registry modifications are the first two things I ever do on re-installing Windows. I don't know the intricacies of Linux or the Mac OS as I do Windows, but one assumes there is an equivalent method of filtering out or ignoring key press events originating from those keys. As you say, the Windows key is a major liability during any game, and the Caps-Lock is just annoying.
Proudmoore

Postby Aubade » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Proudmoore wrote:
I think the biggest reason I dislike using modifiers is because Shift, Ctrl, and Alt surround that devastating little button, Windows, which makes you tab out if you accidentally hit it instead.

Disabling the Caps-Lock and Windows key via registry modifications are the first two things I ever do on re-installing Windows. I don't know the intricacies of Linux or the Mac OS as I do Windows, but one assumes there is an equivalent method of filtering out or ignoring key press events originating from those keys. As you say, the Windows key is a major liability during any game, and the Caps-Lock is just annoying.

This is why My G-15 has a little switch that will enable/disable the windows button.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby spatulor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:07 pm

Aubade wrote:This is why My G-15 has a little switch that will enable/disable the windows button.

This. I don't even use my G-Keys anymore - I find it too distracting to try to use them in combat - But that switch is gold.
spatulor
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:08 am

spatulor wrote:
Aubade wrote:This is why My G-15 has a little switch that will enable/disable the windows button.

This. I don't even use my G-Keys anymore - I find it too distracting to try to use them in combat - But that switch is gold.

Ever since I bought it I've never used the G-keys but I do love my display, and I use the switch often.
Aubade

Postby Marsha » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:48 am

Try out ezInterrupt. http://www.wowace.com/addons/ezinterrupt/

Features
• Shows an icon and plays a sound ("cast alert") when you can interrupt (only if your interrupt is not on cooldown and the cast is interruptible).
• Spell filtering allows you to suppress unwanted cast alerts (for Release Aberrations on Maloriak for example).
• Cast alerts are available for your target or focus (whichever you specify).
• Can announce your interrupts in a variety of ways (including whispering another player).
• The interrupt message is fully customizable.
• Zone settings allow you to control where the addon will be active (only in raids for example).
• All interrupts are supported.

If it's a standalone cast bar mod you want to try out, check out. Castbars. http://www.wowace.com/addons/castbars/

Both work well and have all you need to get things done.
Marsha

Postby tullock » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:48 pm

I dont think i could game without my n52 anymore to be honest. I bind 10 keys on it (not counting tab and wasd, or,more often qwes,for strafing) , then a key for alt and a key for control, leaving me with 30 easy to reach keybinds that require next to no thought. It may only be what amounts to an ergonomic keyboard, but you can pry it from my cold dead hands.
tullock
Maintankadonor

Postby Proudmoore » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:32 am

The G15 is an excellent piece of equipment, but a registry hack is a nice alternative for those who cannot afford to pay £80 just for a keyboard. Also for those who play on laptops where an external keyboard doesn't fit in as well.
Proudmoore

Postby celinos » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:38 am

I haven't had a WASD or ESDF or similar type version keybinds for a while. What I wasn't good at when I used those setups was moving and going through my rotation at the same time. I never really learned to say, hold strafe with one finger while going through the rotation.

Eventually I set strafe up to be the left/right tilt of my mouse, back is my "scroll back" on my mouse, and forward is the default of holding both left/right mouse buttons down. Even then I'd say my rotation could suffer a little while controlling movement on my right hand and pressing buttons on the left, but at least they are separate.

Is movement and abilities all using keybinds just something that I'm naturally not good at and most people can hold one or two buttons while clicking others? Or am I just missing something completely?
celinos

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:27 am

When using an actual keyboard... I've taken to removing the Windows key while gaming... sure it's not optimal, but it does prevent that annoyance. And if I were to start using modifier keys, it would give me a better indicator between ctrl and alt. Almost as annoying on a laptop is the "fn" key... I've shut down my computer a few times trying to control a pet in combat...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:33 pm

celinos wrote:I haven't had a WASD or ESDF or similar type version keybinds for a while. What I wasn't good at when I used those setups was moving and going through my rotation at the same time. I never really learned to say, hold strafe with one finger while going through the rotation.

Eventually I set strafe up to be the left/right tilt of my mouse, back is my "scroll back" on my mouse, and forward is the default of holding both left/right mouse buttons down. Even then I'd say my rotation could suffer a little while controlling movement on my right hand and pressing buttons on the left, but at least they are separate.

Is movement and abilities all using keybinds just something that I'm naturally not good at and most people can hold one or two buttons while clicking others? Or am I just missing something completely?

It's something that can be difficult i think if you don't use the right keybinds for your rotation, Me personally have gotten very good at it, or I'll jump and hit the button mid-air and go back to strafing because you keep moving while in air regardless of wether the key is pressed or not.
Aubade

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:36 pm

'R' is for Rebuke :)
Easy simple and close to the movement keys.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby mavfin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:55 am

Since I play on a Mac, I don't have to deal with the Windows key with my modifiers. In fact, the Mac's 'extra' key, I use for PTT on vent/mumble. So, I use modifiers quite a bit, and it works for me. I couldn't imagine clicking everything, OR using the layout Brekkie showed.

Fact is, millions of people play the game. Other than saying keybinds are better than being a clicker, the exact version of keybinds that is best depends on the person involved.

Also, we're talking about tanking here, and I also DPS with keybinds. I heal with the mouse+clique, and only use keybinds for what I don't have clique-bound and for quick strafing out of fire.

Oh, and to be on topic: I've used the same key for interrupt on every class since I started WoW, so I always know where it is w/o thinking about it.
--Mav
mavfin

Previous

Return to General