Mastery vs Stam woes or l2play?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Mastery vs Stam woes or l2play?

Postby Central » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:09 am

For all of normal content, I was using master/stam trinket, gemming mostly pure mastery, very close to 102.4. For heroic content my healers and I felt my health was too low, so I switched to a stam centric build. This has worked wonderful for breezing through normal Nef and heroic Halfus, it has even proved to work well for our strat for heroic Chim (1 tank and 1 dps tank). Now Maloriak... I am getting eaten alive. I'm assuming most of my damage intake is magic, for the black phase. I am kiting the adds in a similar method to Vodka's kill video on youtube. For the physical adds, I am tanking them near the stairs as I normally do and saving guardian and dodge trinket for when I have 9 adds up. Then, I go boom.

I was going to open this thread in the strategy section, but I'm not completely sure this is a problem with how I'm tanking them. Is my 200k health pool not going to work out for this fight? I felt like the difference between pure mastery gemming and general stam gemming was too minuscule to matter. Am I in the wrong here? Will it make that much of a difference to shoot for 102.4 again?

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... t/advanced

My original reasoning behind switching to stam centric gemming was due to going for the 4pc bonus, which caused the heavy loss of mastery from my shoulders/legs.
Central
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Mastery vs Stam woes or l2play?

Postby knaughty » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Central wrote:I'm assuming most of my damage intake is magic, for the black phase.


Stop assuming, start checking parses. :)

Seriously - if you don't know what's going wrong, you need to start logging (or even live-logging) your runs and being able to check rather than assume.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
User avatar
knaughty
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Re: Mastery vs Stam woes or l2play?

Postby Meloree » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Central wrote:For all of normal content, I was using master/stam trinket, gemming mostly pure mastery, very close to 102.4. For heroic content my healers and I felt my health was too low, so I switched to a stam centric build. This has worked wonderful for breezing through normal Nef and heroic Halfus, it has even proved to work well for our strat for heroic Chim (1 tank and 1 dps tank). Now Maloriak... I am getting eaten alive. I'm assuming most of my damage intake is magic, for the black phase. I am kiting the adds in a similar method to Vodka's kill video on youtube. For the physical adds, I am tanking them near the stairs as I normally do and saving guardian and dodge trinket for when I have 9 adds up. Then, I go boom.


Traditionally, on 25man, if you're using one tank for the adds, then you kite once you hit 6 of them, let alone 9. Frost trap, ring of frost, earthbind totem, etc - you just don't even try to tank all 9 of them. I'm not sure if that's true on 10man, but I assume it would be. I haven't tanked the adds alone in a while, though, we added a second tank to eliminate kiting after the first 3-4 kills, for stability.
Meloree
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1420
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:15 am

Re: Mastery vs Stam woes or l2play?

Postby Central » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:06 pm

knaughty wrote:
Central wrote:I'm assuming most of my damage intake is magic, for the black phase.


Stop assuming, start checking parses. :)

Seriously - if you don't know what's going wrong, you need to start logging (or even live-logging) your runs and being able to check rather than assume.

Well, we do log, but magically our logs for Maloriak last night (our only night of attempts) did not get posted last night.

I guess I'll update once I have another run of parses tonight. Other than that, have you guys noticed the lack of hp and boost in mastery being overly helpful for this fight? I'd guess not since you are saying I should be kiting instead of attempting to tank them.
Central
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Mastery vs Stam woes or l2play?

Postby yappo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:28 am

When you write 'used to' and later tell us your experience from some hardmode content and late normal content I get the impression (maybe incorrectly) that you do indeed have a pretty good experience from 'used to'. Good in this case meaning numerous.

Assuming my impression is correct, then looking at gear you no longer use (guessing that you have a fair amount of 359 tanking gear that never leave your bags) and configuring them for mastery might solve your current dilemma.

If you're going down like a ton of brick on fights you earlier had less problems handling in a mastery centric set, then building one could get you out of your problem.

In any way, such a set shouldn't be too costly for you to create. If you're running hardmodes now you ought to be wading around in VP.
yappo
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: Mastery vs Stam woes or l2play?

Postby Awyndel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:04 am

Don't tank 9 adds on maloriak heroic. Either use kiting or a 3rd tank, wichever costs you less dps or healer/interupt attention.
User avatar
Awyndel
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:49 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Mastery vs Stam woes or l2play?

Postby towelliee » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am

Central wrote:For all of normal content, I was using master/stam trinket, gemming mostly pure mastery, very close to 102.4. For heroic content my healers and I felt my health was too low, so I switched to a stam centric build. This has worked wonderful for breezing through normal Nef and heroic Halfus, it has even proved to work well for our strat for heroic Chim (1 tank and 1 dps tank). Now Maloriak... I am getting eaten alive. I'm assuming most of my damage intake is magic, for the black phase. I am kiting the adds in a similar method to Vodka's kill video on youtube. For the physical adds, I am tanking them near the stairs as I normally do and saving guardian and dodge trinket for when I have 9 adds up. Then, I go boom.

I was going to open this thread in the strategy section, but I'm not completely sure this is a problem with how I'm tanking them. Is my 200k health pool not going to work out for this fight? I felt like the difference between pure mastery gemming and general stam gemming was too minuscule to matter. Am I in the wrong here? Will it make that much of a difference to shoot for 102.4 again?

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... t/advanced

My original reasoning behind switching to stam centric gemming was due to going for the 4pc bonus, which caused the heavy loss of mastery from my shoulders/legs.


If you are tanking adds on MaloriaK for Shadow Phase I would suggest unhittable. It negates almost all the melee swings from all the adds. Magic dmg should be minimal if you move out of sludge immediately. Maybe make a Power Aura for sludge. Use glyphed DP and TB trinket in case you get stuck around sludge.

Also for adds I would have hunters rotate traps for you and just kite them around the traps.
towelliee
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:09 am

Re: Mastery vs Stam woes or l2play?

Postby Central » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:25 am

towelliee wrote:
If you are tanking adds on MaloriaK for Shadow Phase I would suggest unhittable. It negates almost all the melee swings from all the adds. Magic dmg should be minimal if you move out of sludge immediately. Maybe make a Power Aura for sludge. Use glyphed DP and TB trinket in case you get stuck around sludge.

Also for adds I would have hunters rotate traps for you and just kite them around the traps.


After going over the logs, it certainly seems like the shadow adds were hitting me a lot harder than I thought they were. Props to my healers. After digging through a bunch of other people's armories and logs, I think I just use the mastery shoulders and legs I have, and dual mastery trinkets for Maloriak, instead of regemming my tier pieces, so I still have my balanced set and tier bonus for Chim.

Thanks.
Central
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:24 am


Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest