Remove Advertisements

[10] Cho'gall -- Normal Strategy

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Cho'gall -- Normal Strategy

Postby Belloc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:19 am

Either get Cho'gall up into his throne or against a wall. At that point, it becomes incredibly easy to DPS them and, just as importantly, to interrupt them. If even a few are stacked up, a single avenger's shield nullifies the adds for a few seconds. If you have a warlock, his felguard can felstorm the clumped adds. During the next wave, he can go demon form and immolate aura them. And a variety of other tricks that become viable when you have 2-3 tentacles within AOE range.

If placing him against a wall or in his throne doesn't get you a kill, then switch to 2-healing it. This is a 2-healer fight and you will see results with some practice.
Belloc

Postby AIRchrist » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:24 am

My guild is having some serious issues with this fight. I personally believe it's the raid composition, but I'm butting heads with the GM and other officers. This is the breakdown: 1 bear tank, 1 warrior tank, 3 healers(holy, resto, disc priest), rogue, hunter, enhance shaman, DK, fire mage(me)(I tank pugs, and have far better luck with strangers). This is a serious lack of ranged DPS and proably one too many healers. I've offered to use my Pally to tank, but have been told it's not needed(aside from AS and all the other utility I bring...). Is the raid comp ruining our chances of downing Cho, or am I just whining about not being able to guild tank the fight?

We use the most common strat involving tanking Cho in the middle of the room and having the OT kite the adds to the rear stairs. If we're lucky enough to get into P2, we wipe within seconds. We're tanking Cho against the wall to the left of his throne, but we're not coming up with enough interrupts to stop the adds.

Any advice on either raid comp or our standard strat?
AIRchrist

Postby inthedrops » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:49 pm

AIRchrist wrote:My guild is having some serious issues with this fight. I personally believe it's the raid composition, but I'm butting heads with the GM and other officers. This is the breakdown: 1 bear tank, 1 warrior tank, 3 healers(holy, resto, disc priest), rogue, hunter, enhance shaman, DK, fire mage(me)(I tank pugs, and have far better luck with strangers). This is a serious lack of ranged DPS and proably one too many healers. I've offered to use my Pally to tank, but have been told it's not needed(aside from AS and all the other utility I bring...). Is the raid comp ruining our chances of downing Cho, or am I just whining about not being able to guild tank the fight?

We use the most common strat involving tanking Cho in the middle of the room and having the OT kite the adds to the rear stairs. If we're lucky enough to get into P2, we wipe within seconds. We're tanking Cho against the wall to the left of his throne, but we're not coming up with enough interrupts to stop the adds.

Any advice on either raid comp or our standard strat?

Why do you wipe?
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby AIRchrist » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:34 pm

We wipe because shortly after P2, my guildies get their corruption up so high and can't seem to interrupt the adds in an organized manner. We have seriously been working on Cho'gall for the past month and a half. I'm losing faith in my guild. I've downed him with two of my three toons in pugs, but can't seem to push through with my guild. The DPS is there, the healers are competent but the raid comp is 2/3 melee.

TL;dr- I know how to successfully tank Cho'gall, but due to poor guild raid comp, fail terribly. Need to know if having me tank on my pally will turn us around. Thanks in advance.
AIRchrist

Postby inthedrops » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Do you guys have high corruption going into Phase 2? Or does it all come during Phase 2?
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby AIRchrist » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:11 pm

I apologize, I should've included that before. The corruption levels aren't anything past 10% going into P2, but it seems that almost immediately people are spiking up to 100%. I don't know how or what ability is causing this crazy spike in corruption, but it's as if the tentacles aren't being burned down quickly enough or it's that they're getting off their beam thing which should be(but isn't) interrupted.
AIRchrist

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:01 pm

I would wager someone hitting 25% is vomiting on other people and setting off a chain reaction.

I would recommend having one of your healers focus on dispels, or have a DPS that can help with it sacrifice the GCDs, and see if that helps.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:21 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:I would wager someone hitting 25% is vomiting on other people and setting off a chain reaction.

I would recommend having one of your healers focus on dispels, or have a DPS that can help with it sacrifice the GCDs, and see if that helps.

You vomit at 50%, 25% is a magical damage dot that you can dispel.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby inthedrops » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:13 am

The mechanics in P2 are pretty simple. I suspect it's the vomiting all over people combined with not killing and interrupting tentacles. Those tentacles are your only priority in P2.

Check wowlogs and look at how much DPS each player is doing on tentacles. Also check to see that people with interrupts are using them. You'll be able to identify the people who aren't doing their job, ask them to fix it, and get your kill.

Since you're melee heavy, but you're making it to P2 without high corruption, your raid setup isn't your issue. One thing you can do to take advantage of how many melee you have is tank the boss on his throne in P3. The tentacles tend to bunch up there, eliminating much of the running around usually required by melee to kill tentacles.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby domipal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:01 pm

Pyrea wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:I would wager someone hitting 25% is vomiting on other people and setting off a chain reaction.

You vomit at 50%, 25% is a magical damage dot that you can dispel.

maybe the dot isn't getting dispelled. It accelerates corruption greatly right?
domipal

Postby AIRchrist » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:08 pm

If I had to guess what was killing us in P2, I'd have to go with the debuff not being dispelled/casts not being interrupted. It devolves into chaos once the floor goes purple.
AIRchrist

Postby Hrobertgar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:41 pm

@ 25 corruption, ppl get corruption sickness or something and take an ADDITIONAL like 2 curruption per tick or something (until dispelled), it MUST be dispelled immediately. There are so many sources of corruption in ph2 that are difficult to avoid that the healers have to be on the dispells, or 25 corruption can quickly reach 50, 75 or 100 and impact the entire raid very quickly.

Yes, dispells are mana intensive, but the raid impact of allowing corruption to continue undispelled is worse that running low on mana due to dispells. And ph2 is a dps race anyways, its not like the healers need to finish the fight with 50% mana to conduct reses or something. Just keep the raid uncorrupted for as long as possible.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Treck » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:32 pm

Hrobertgar wrote:There are so many sources of corruption in ph2 that are difficult to avoid that the healers have to be on the dispells, or 25 corruption can quickly reach 50, 75 or 100 and impact the entire raid very quickly.

Important to know, the tentacles does NOT give corruption untill you change to heroic.
There really isnt that many things get corruption from in p2, you get some slowly all the time, its a raidwide aoe he does, and it gives you corruption.
And unless people were high from p1 (for whatever reason) you can sit in p2 without really getting 25% at all (this require pretty high dps in p2 tho, but should be no problem downing it before 50%, this also means a lot less raiddmg taken since people wont be friendly fireing the raid with shadowbolts.
If you use immunities, this spell wont hit you, and you also wont get corruption from it.
Pretty sure Cloak works aswell, bubble does, IB works but its not really helping much since you cant do shit in it.
IIRC a full ressist will also cancel your corruption stacking.

Really rather focusing on interupting Depravity and actually killing the small adds before they reach you, if you do, P2 will become piece of cake.
P2 is really the easiest part of the fight, if youve played the first part of the fight properly.
Treck

Postby Shathus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:47 am

We finally got him down last night. Ended up switching our boomkin back to bear (his MS), leaving our ret as prot, me (prot) to holy, our holy priest to shadow and resto shaman to enh. So 2 tanks, 2 melee, 4 ranged and 2 healers.

So they mainspec healers didn't top the charts, but the added DPS seemed enough to push us over the hump. Pushed to p2 with only 3 add spawns, and finished him off with only 3 sets of tentacles.

I def caused a wipe or two letting a tank die, but it was just due to getting used to the fight and healing again in general.

Felt good to finally kill the bastard, though I'm guessing this means I'm stuck healing this fight for the foreseeable future now :)
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Epimer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:45 am

Shathus wrote:I def caused a wipe or two letting a tank die, but it was just due to getting used to the fight and healing again in general.

Have you got a way of tracking defensive cooldown usage (e.g. GridStatusTankCooldown)? Since you have an off-spec tank they might not be particularly vigilant with their cooldown usage; make sure they're using something for Flame's Orders, because that's the only thing which should regularly endanger a tank's life.

I massively notice the difference when I'm healing this and it's the tank who's good with cooldowns on the boss vs. the one who uses a 20% cooldown when he's already at 15% health.
Epimer

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)