Is it worth reforging parry/dodge in mastery?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Is it worth reforging parry/dodge in mastery?

Postby Téuntjûh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:34 am

Sorry if I didn't look good enough, but couldn't find a clear answer on this question I have.
I'm trying to optimize my prot gear to the max, and the question I have is about reforging.

If you got an item with hit on it and a huge amount of dodge/parry, is it worth to reforge the dodge to mastery instead of the hit to mastery? Example : http://www.wowhead.com/item=65059

My migitation goes a bit up, but is it worth it?
As block is just stopping a bit of the incoming damage, and dodge stopping it all.
What's the formula I have to use here?
Téuntjûh

Re: Is it worth reforging parry/dodge in mastery?

Postby Koatanga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:13 am

You get more per point of mastery rating than from any other stat.

If you are at all concerned with damage avoidance/mitigation, then shouldn't you be reforging the hit?
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby lythac » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:22 am

Mastery is roughly 15% more effective at reducing damage point for point than avoidance, (based on gear better the gear the more effective it is). See quote below which was a conversation about belts.

So -

Unforged 215 = 215

Dodge>Mastery = 0.6*215 + 0.4*215*1.15 = 227.9

Hit>Mastery = 215 + 0.4*109*1.15 = 265.14

For overall damage reduction reforging Hit>Mastery is the way to go. If you chose to reforge Dodge>Mastery you would get a higher CTC, this could be worth it if you are closing in on 102.4% or if you are a 10 man raider and hit is semi valuable to you for interrupts.

theckhd wrote:In this case, it takes 114 mastery to give the same damage reduction as 132 avoidance rating, which means the mastery is about 15% better at reducing damage intake point for point. Since one belt has more than 15% more avoidance rating than the other belt has mastery (132/95=1.389, or +39%), the avoidance belt will do a slightly better job of reducing damage intake.

However, that's just reducing damage intake, which may or may not be a relevant comparison for gearing. The mastery belt is far ahead in combat table coverage (CTC) because mastery is 2.5-3x stronger in that department rather than 15% stronger. Ala Digren's math, the 132 avoidance from the Conclave belt gives 0.5713% CTC, while the 95 mastery on the Jumbotron gives 1.19%.

If you go back a page in that thread there is some explanation of where that 15% comes from.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Téuntjûh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:49 am

will do that now, thanks
Téuntjûh

Postby theckhd » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:27 am

Reforing a combination Threat/Avoidance item

theck wrote:To minimize damage taken: the break-even point occurs when the amount of threat rating on the item is 7.5% of the avoidance rating on the item. For an item with less threat rating, you would be better off reforging the avoidance rating to mastery. Since this should not be the case for nearly all (all?) items available right now, you will in general get a larger reduction in damage intake by reforging the threat rating to mastery.

To maximize combat table coverage: if the threat rating on the item is less than about 60% of the avoidance rating on the item, you get better combat table coverage by reforging the avoidance rating. This value will increase as our avoidance goes up due to diminishing returns on avoidance.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Téuntjûh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:34 am

Thanks Theck! Gonna reforge my hit, want to get rid of all of it!
Téuntjûh

Postby inthedrops » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:50 am

theckhd wrote:Reforing a combination Threat/Avoidance item

theck wrote:To minimize damage taken: the break-even point occurs when the amount of threat rating on the item is 7.5% of the avoidance rating on the item. For an item with less threat rating, you would be better off reforging the avoidance rating to mastery. Since this should not be the case for nearly all (all?) items available right now, you will in general get a larger reduction in damage intake by reforging the threat rating to mastery.

To maximize combat table coverage: if the threat rating on the item is less than about 60% of the avoidance rating on the item, you get better combat table coverage by reforging the avoidance rating. This value will increase as our avoidance goes up due to diminishing returns on avoidance.

I like how Theck broke down the two forks in the road of survivability :)

The common mistake people make is to assume that "maximize combat table coverage" is equal to "minimize damage taken". It's not. I think once people understand that they usually start making better choices.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Treck had a good point when this came up in early January in this thread:
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... ic#p635243

You can sometimes get more CTC reforging a large amount of Dodge vs a smaller amount of Hit. It's not a huge amount (the JP shoulders and pants were a 0.3%), but technically correct.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Cascadian » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Téuntjûh wrote:If you got an item with hit on it and a huge amount of dodge/parry, is it worth to reforge the dodge to mastery instead of the hit to mastery? Example : http://www.wowhead.com/item=65059

The two items where this issue seems to arise are Ironstar Amulet (Atramedes)
http://www.wowhead.com/item=65059
+215 Dodge
+109 Hit
In this case it makes sense to reforge Hit into Mastery.

Legguards of Unseeing (Atramedes)
http://www.wowhead.com/item=59317
+321 Parry
+133 Expertise
In that case, it seemed to make more sense to reforge 128 Parry to Mastery.

Hope I did it right.

I just got the 3rd piece of my tier set.
Reinforced Sapphirium Legguards
http://www.wowhead.com/item=60357
No matter how I reforge them, the Legguards of Unseeing (Atramedes) still provides better CTC.
So I won't be using them until I have the 4th piece for the tier bonus.
Cascadian

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations