Need help learning how to interupt properly.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Need help learning how to interupt properly.

Postby Sir_Onion » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:12 pm

I am having trouble...

So we got our brand new interrupt in 4.06 and I was called to interrupt on the Acendent Council fight and I was missing interrupts left and right. I was either hitting the wrong spell (ugh!) or hitting the hydro-lance too late and it getting off.

Any tips, or clarifications on interrupts?
Sir_Onion

Re: Need help learning how to interupt properly.

Postby Aubade » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:15 pm

uh

See cast

Hit button

???

Profit!!

The key to interuppting well is to interupt early in the cast, if you do it in the last 1 second or so, there's a chance server lag etc will not register the interuppt until after it has gone off.

Know when your cast is coming to interuppt, and hit it as soon as you see the cast. This can get kind of tricky on interuppting bosses or mobs that can cast more than 1 spell.

Also; tanks should not interuppt since we have 1% or less hit most of the time. this will change in 4.1 though.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Poclain » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:40 am

I use tidyplates and Quartz.
Both help to see, when the enemy starts casting.
Pocladin@EU Gilneas
English is hard ...
Poclain

Postby Epimer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:07 am

Have a good way to see enemy cast bars - be it nameplates, unit frames, or a cast bar addon like the aforementioned Quartz (or similar). Enemy cast bars are something I don't mind having redundancies for in my UI, i.e. on nameplates and unit frames (and I'm thinking of getting a dedicated cast bar addon again). Then just pay attention and hit Rebuke when the cast starts and pray it doesn't miss.

If I'm on sole interrupting duty for P2 on Nef (which is not good strategy but sometimes raid make-up enforces it) I'll hold off on Avenger's Shield and not cast anything when the timer for Blast Nova is coming up, so I can hit AS (on the GCD) and Rebuke (off the GCD) simultaneously in case of misses. 4.1 will make this unnecessary, thankfully.
Epimer

Postby Epimer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:09 am

Oh, and for Twilight Ascendant Council specifically, Feludius is quite fond of casting Hydro Lance immediately after a Glaciate. I tend to hold off on Avenger's Shield when Glaciate is coming up so I can hit it on the run back in, since an uninterrupted Hydro Lance immediately after Aegis can occasionally finish someone off if the healers have been slow at getting the raid back up.
Epimer

Postby Brutalus » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:49 am

Make sure your interrupt button is keybound to some easy-to-hit and logical key so that you can do it quickly and without pushing the wrong button!
Brutalus

Postby Epimer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:05 am

Oh yeah, that's the other one: don't be a clicker. Or if you must, have your interrupt bound to mousewheel or mouse button 4 or something you can hit reactively and instantly.
Epimer

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:51 am

Brutalus wrote:Make sure your interrupt button is keybound to some easy-to-hit and logical key so that you can do it quickly and without pushing the wrong button!

+100
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:14 am

i feel dirty saying this, but my main tank toon right now is my warrior

i use quartz cast bars and tidyplates set to show enemy cast bars, and have my shieldbash (soon to be pummel) bound to 8, shockwave to 7, and spell reflect to 9
(i also use a razor naga so its right below my main rotation abilities)

get used to seeing the cast bar and instantly hitting rebuke
what helped me was dueling casters, esp those w/o a bunch of insta cast (destro lock is the best imo)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby djlar » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 am

I'm guessing your are just missing them.. what % hit again?

Even avenger's shield misses so..

You should have a ranged interrupting him... or get more hit..
djlar

Postby Kelaan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:54 am

Aubade wrote:Know when your cast is coming to interuppt, and hit it as soon as you see the cast.

This is very important. Know when to expect the casts (if they are regular or preceded by an event), and save your interrupts (AS, Rebuke) for that. Know what ELSE they cast which either CANNOT or SHOULD NOT be interrupted -- if you blow your interrupt on Glaciate, for example, you're (potentially) screwed unless you can get in melee range to Rebuke the next hydro lance.

Talk to your DPS so that they know that you WILL be holding back every so often so that your attention is fully on interrupting hydro lances, and so threat will/may suffer.
Kelaan

Postby benebarba » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:53 pm

I found the caster mobs in Tol Barad to be a great training ground for hitting an interrupt in the middle of your rotation. Once I got that down, I started interrupting anytime I had the chance in 5-mans. It's second nature now. As a tank I still miss occasionally, but usually have someone there helping out.

Other than that, Aubade's got it. See cast, hit button, hope it hit. Also, other than unit frames, DBM helps by screaming at you in huge letters if something should be interrupted (now if your strat agrees may differ).

(BTW - am I the only one that loves the Rebuke animation? Me Pally! Me kick you in da face!)
benebarba

Postby Lightstrike » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Epimer wrote:Oh yeah, that's the other one: don't be a clicker. Or if you must, have your interrupt bound to mousewheel or mouse button 4 or something you can hit reactively and instantly.

Hey now!

Nothing wrong with being a clicker :)

Personally, I click.. but my UI is designed knowing this. The abilities I use most are close to the centre, the abilities i use least are further away, the abilities I need in an emergency though are all keybound or mousebound with the help of healbot which i prefer over grid+clique for some reason.

All in all though, mouse wheel or extra buttons and keybinds are the best for interrupts and bubbles, if you insist on clicking them have them close by and be quick!
Lightstrike

Postby Aubade » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Lightstrike wrote:Hey now!

Everything wrong with being a clicker. It shows you aren't willing to spend a few minutes to improve your character. and if anyone trys to say you are just as good while clicking you're absolutely wrong and you know it.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Lightstrike » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Aubade wrote:
Lightstrike wrote:Hey now!

Everything wrong with being a clicker. It shows you aren't willing to spend a few minutes to improve your character. and if anyone trys to say you are just as good while clicking you're absolutely wrong and you know it.

Heh, I will concede that keybinds may be more efficient in the right hands, but not necessarily the best for everyone, like in in mine.. Clicking is more efficient for me :) I keybind things I don't use often that can't fit in mouse range.
Lightstrike

Next

Return to General