Remove Advertisements

[10] Heroic Maloriak

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Heroic Maloriak

Postby Arianne » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Before we let 3 out during the black phase, we would often have a cat go bear and pull one or two out to kill during red phase, which makes the add tank only have 7 instead of 9. This often works when you have enough DPS that you have to stop DPS at some point to not transition Maloriak early, but not enough DPS to let aberrations out during black phase.

Use the frost trap most of the time and then use the ring of frost just before aberrations 7,8, and 9 spawn so that the add tank can go pick them up without having issues from the other 4-6 that he already had (they're trapped in the RoF). This makes it so that you can pick them up easier because there are fewer buffs on them and they take more damage (thus more threat) and less issues with getting hit and taking a ton of damage.
Arianne

Postby 99sitr » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:19 am

We just started on this last night and put about 1 hour on it before killing Nef and finishing for the week. We were attempting the kill with 2 healers (Holy Pally and Holy Priest), DK tanking Mal, and myself (Prot Pally) tanking the Swill and Aberrations. Our DK is tanking him facing the cauldron for the black phases and we are letting the 1st set of Aberrations out before the Vile Swill (if Maloriak casts them).

I stay near the middle with the 1st 3 Aberrations and pick up all the Swill and slowly move them on the outside of the room until the swill and the Aberrations are dead. We have all our DPS on them including our assassination rogue with the exception of our ret pally who stays on Maloriak. Everything is fine during this part, we get all the swill and aberrations down and I move into position to pick up the next 2 sets of adds. Once both sets are on me I start kiting them with the help of a frost trap to ease inc damage until the green phase. My problem that I am seeing is that during this we are usually in a red phase and the healers are maxed out on getting the raid back up due to the flame breath. Should I have my mage attempt to trap these as long as possible to up my TTL during this part?

Everything I have read says 9 is too many to handle and 8 is touch and go as well. I'm dealing with 6 and the intake is too much it seems, should we be running 3 healers for this encounter? We are seeing Maloriak at about 50% before the first green phase.
99sitr

Postby Técaro » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:36 am

I definitely suggest 3healing it, I'm not even sure if 2healing is possible while it's a progression fight. If your dps is up to par you'll find yourself stopping DPS before the second green phase for 20-30s so it shouldn't be an issue.
We tanked 9 adds for ages, with a CD rotation and a frost trap. We also have our prot war shockwave when he has to come over for Maloriak. Lately we've taken to the 3+swills black phase though, whenever we can, it seems to make things a bit less 'HOLYSHITIMDYING'. We also had one week with a 6+swills black phase, but I don't suggest that to anyone, hilarity asides ^_^
Técaro

Postby 99sitr » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:06 am

Técaro wrote:I definitely suggest 3healing it, I'm not even sure if 2healing is possible while it's a progression fight. If your dps is up to par you'll find yourself stopping DPS before the second green phase for 20-30s so it shouldn't be an issue.
We tanked 9 adds for ages, with a CD rotation and a frost trap. We also have our prot war shockwave when he has to come over for Maloriak. Lately we've taken to the 3+swills black phase though, whenever we can, it seems to make things a bit less 'HOLYSHITIMDYING'. We also had one week with a 6+swills black phase, but I don't suggest that to anyone, hilarity asides ^_^

Yeah, I'm fairly certain in our very limited attempts that I still have several areas to improve upon for my handling of the adds. We employ the 3+swills whenever possible and its a non-issue, I will handle the remaining 6 a little different next time around. I think I will have 3 of the ranged burn down 2 of the first 3 on the second release leaving me with only 4 at the green phase possible 7 if we let a release go off (which would seem beneficial).
99sitr

Postby Arizair » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:11 am

our first two kills, we 2 healed this with a pally/druid and a pally/dk tanking. a dk on boss is amazing for limiting heals required in black as they can AMS the channel which actually blocks the MS for that time period. P2, i used the stair-hopping method to reduce rend stacks and cleared them with Hand of Protection when they reached higher numbers, though I didn't survive a kill with 2 heals, the boss did die each week.
Arizair

Postby 99sitr » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:14 pm

Anyone know how much a single Aberration hits for on 10 heroic?
99sitr

Postby PsiVen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:19 am

From our WoL last night, an unbuffed Aberration hit me for 8556 before block, 12723 with 2 buffs (in a 3-pack) at 40k armor. Swing timer looks to be about 2sec.

Hitting a cloth class, worst case is about a 40k crit from a solo add.

Hitting a paladin tank with 40k armor 30% avoidance 55% block:
3 adds -> 9072 DTPS (12600 during green slime)
6 adds -> 31352 DTPS (25200 during green slime)
9 adds -> 81266 DTPS (37800 during green slime)
12 adds -> 187238 DTPS (50400 during green slime)

This all assumes you are careful to keep them in front... if you let 9 adds catch you from behind you will take about 340k damage instantly.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby 99sitr » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks PsiVen, I couldn't find in our logs where I had a solo unbuffed add on myself or anyone.
99sitr

Postby mosa » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:41 am

Does anyone know how the acid spit mechanic in the 2nd phase works? We had some heartbreaking attempts on this last night... wiped at 100K booourns.
mosa

Postby Belloc » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

mosa wrote:Does anyone know how the acid spit mechanic in the 2nd phase works? We had some heartbreaking attempts on this last night... wiped at 100K booourns.

Maloriak casts Acid Nova every 30 seconds in the final phase. It's best to rotate cooldowns for it, if you have any (even a PW: Barrier, assuming people can continue paying attention to frost orb spawns). Otherwise, you'll just have to heal through it (I mean... you'll have to anyway, but you get what I'm saying). Healthstones are great, but you should probably expect to have to survive 3 gas novas during early kills.

Oh, and make sure you have Nature Resistance up for this.
Last edited by Belloc on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Belloc

Postby exiledknight » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:37 pm

mosa wrote:Does anyone know how the acid spit mechanic in the 2nd phase works? We had some heartbreaking attempts on this last night... wiped at 100K booourns.

I have honestly never even noticed this mechanic, I dont think our healers have either, although our normal burn phase CD rotation prob has always covered at least one if not 2 of them.
exiledknight

Postby mosa » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:35 am

Next problem... and I would love an answer for our raid night tonight.... We have everything down pat...but we are having issues with how Maloriak is being tanked in P2. We have 2-3 melee with us, and either the tank who is on him (I'm on prime subjects) is either trying to kite around the room or the orbs are spawning on the melee and owning them.

How do you tank him in P2 so that he is able to be killed? and is it orb/melee friendly?
mosa

Postby Belloc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 am

As a tank, you move Maloriak as little as possible without getting hit by the flame jets. If a frost orb spawns on or near melee, you pull Maloriak further away.

Your melee will have to watch out for the orb spawns and move out of the way, waiting for the boss to be moved. If your melee are getting hit, they're not paying enough attention. If they're simply unable to attack, that's somewhat normal and can be alleviated by the tank pulling the boss further away. In any case, the tank and the melee are going to have to pay attention to melee range frost orbs.
Belloc

Postby Fetzie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:02 pm

We killed him tonight.

We didn't bother resetting him if the abberations didn't spawn before the black phase. We simply interrupted one of the following casts and let the next three through, the last set spawning in about 10 seconds before green phase, which the 4set bonus GoAK covered.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby zelse » Sun May 08, 2011 3:08 am

Hello, I've been following this thread and last night my guild tried a few attempts on this.

We seemed to have everything down fairly well, but then one of our ranged DPS had to step out for a melee.
Our melee kept having problems doing damage to the swills in the black phase due to the black pools on the ground. We would barely have 1-2 swills alive going into the first red/blue phase, but if the first phase was a red phase and having swills spawn black pools on the ground made it near impossible to stack up.

We did NOT try having a set of aberations out during the black phase, because I was unaware of the change in 4.0.6, but since our DPS is already having trouble getting the swills down in time for the first red/blue phase, I am hesitant to try this.

I have a few questions that I would really appreciate answers to:
1. Do you need to limit the number of melee you bring for this fight? or are our melee just being dumb?
2. If you release 3 aborations before black phase, should one of the melee bring one aboration out to reduce their stacking buff on each other?
3. We run with prot pally/blood DK tank/resto shaman/resto druid/holy pally/1 survival hunter/1 marksman hunter/1 feral druid/1 destro lock/1 arcane mage and the melee that stepped in for a survival hunter last time was a fury warrior. Should some of these guys change specs to improve their performance on this fight? (namely getting these swills down in time, ideally to get swills AND 3 aborations down during black phase..which is going to be a jump from the results we got with no releasing of aborations).
4. Should we lay down frost traps for the swills to help the tank kite them? or should he just tank them while constantly moving backwards?

Our DPS is generally solid, I think we just aren't being smart about our plan going into this. Plus we've only given it about 6 attempts total, but I think we needed to clean up some things to make this work better.. this possibly being the specs of certain raiders (lock and mage maybe for demo and fire for more aoe?)

thanks for any help!
zelse

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)