Void Reaver

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Blaen99 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:03 am

Exodius wrote:Sig should be working... It gives the basic numbers, armory should give you the details, unless I've logged off in soloing gear again. :P

It's around 13k unbuffed health, 15-16k buffed, 14k armor, 250-300 spell damage, uncrush, uncrit...

From what I have read around the stats should be fine. :?

Spell damage is seriously low on VR.
Blaen99

Postby Exodius » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:12 pm

If 300 is too low, how in the world would you kill him on a progression kill?

Remember it's not about holding him for 90% of the fight. It's about killing the boss.

More tps means dps can do more - if they are not being targetted by orbs or getting killed by poundings and running around...

But as far as I know, I think you would be hard pressed for maybe 500 spell damage without top level kara gear...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the fight or something... but those numbers just don't seem right, 1k spell damage. :?

I'm not interested in spell damage when you are farming Hyjal, I'm interested in spell damage when he's still a progression fight. :P
Exodius

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:22 pm

I don't have all the spelldamage tanking gear I could from pre-T5 content, but I usually end up in the 450 range when I'm gearing for threat and not hps or block value or something else.

I mean, you *should* expect top level Kara gear for T5 content, don't you think? :) And Gruul. And Magtheridon. Basically, a nice 200+ spelldamage weapon, 4 or 5 pieces of T4, maybe the tankadin purples from heroics to round them out, etc.

I'm shy 2 pieces of T4 and one of the heroic pieces right now. I need to get on some heroic black morass.. :(

-- Oh, and you don't really need to be in a "tank" group for VR, if that's how you normally do things. Get yourself a shaman in a caster group, and/or shadow priest, and/or ret pally (I see you've got one of those. /jealous), and they will do way more for your threat than what the other tanks want, like windfury or LotP.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Blaen99 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Exodius wrote:If 300 is too low, how in the world would you kill him on a progression kill?

Remember it's not about holding him for 90% of the fight. It's about killing the boss.

More tps means dps can do more - if they are not being targetted by orbs or getting killed by poundings and running around...

But as far as I know, I think you would be hard pressed for maybe 500 spell damage without top level kara gear...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the fight or something... but those numbers just don't seem right, 1k spell damage. :?

I'm not interested in spell damage when you are farming Hyjal, I'm interested in spell damage when he's still a progression fight. :P

I had over 500 spell damage on my guild's progression kill - ~570ish IIRC.

A better question is how did you have under 450ish spell damage?
Blaen99

Postby Lakirby » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:02 pm

Went in tonight for the first time, had pretty much a dream setup for me to open (ret pally for Sanctity Aura and elemental shaman with Wrath of Air totem). With totem, I had ~580 spell damage (I was using Flask of Blinding Light + Superior Wizard Oil + Blackened Basilisk) and never really dropped aggro on VR down to 65% when the raid leader called a wipe due to DPS being stupid and dying to orbs.

We'll get him next time :)
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby Exodius » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:10 pm

You use to require attunement to get into the Eye...

That included a bunch of solo and group quests, plus running pretty much every hard heroic, and then killing Mag...

I'm pretty sure I could meet all those requirements. Without 550 spell damage. And without a lot of Kara drops. I've cleared SL and SV with a lot less than my current gear. I wasn't being carried by overpowered people, I was working well in a team and doing my job. :P

I don't know if the rest of the guild can. I am still trying to get to know them all. I remember one person saying they have never run a heroic, yet there they were in the Eye for dps...

That just does not sit right for me. From what I understand, PvPing and arena stuff can give you a lot of good PvP gear...

Still though, if you cannot contribute enough to clear all the hard heroics in your designated role... well, that just feels slack to me.

Sure, it's great that they took off the entry requirements. It's long, it's hard, it's a pain and a half to get 25 people to that level, let alone 25 class balanced people...

And yet people call him "loot reaver"... where's the respect for the complexity of the content? :(

But back to spell damage, you don't need 500+ to clear Kara or kill Gruul or Mag. It's probably near impossible to get that amount from that level of content.

I can understand that one stacks threat for the fight. But I don't like people quoting silly numbers. I did not have a flask or potion up, yet I was able to get aggro after a while from the T4 geared warriors. And they have killed him before. :?
Exodius

Postby YoYoMa » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:27 am

Saying you can't obtain that level of spell damage at t4 level is wrong. It sounds to me like you haven't done your homework and you aren't coming prepared to your raids to do the best you can do. Going into VR on a progression kill with 250-300 spell damage just sounds rediculous to me.

Ok here's the data behind my "silly numbers". 900-1000 spell damage all buffed, flasked, totemed up and all that is attainable in t4 level gear. We are currently not in hyjal or bt yet and to be honest, most of spell damage gear is t4 or vendor, with 2 crafted t5 level items. I don't have the numbers in front of me but here is what I've been tanking him with (listing only spell damage stuff, and sorry I can't get to any sites to see the exact numbers to total them up):

Gear
T4 helm
T4 shoulders
T4 gloves w/ +20 spell enchant
T4 legs w/ spell thread enchant
(note both set bonuses)
Darkmoon Card: Vengeance
Icon of the Silver Cresent
S2 arena mace w/ +40 spell enchant
Boots of the Protector (crafted)
Belt of the Guardian (crafted)

So that's all the gear. The only 2 items that wouldn't be readily attainable if you are just starting the eye would be the two crafted items. Without those two items you should still be around the 500 mark.

Consumables
Flask of Blinding Light +80
Spell Damage Food + 23
Superior Wizard Oil + 42

That's another 145

Toss in Wrath of Air totem, Judgment of the Cruader and you add almost 300 more.

There, 900+ easily attainable at your level of gear. In my opinion even if you take away WoA and JoC you're right where you'd want to be for that fight. Can you do it with less, absolutely. But my job tanking this guy isn't to try and trim down and just keep barely ahead of the rest of the group. I'm there to build threat as fast as possible and give our dpsers the biggest margin possible so that they can open up and go to town. Doing anything other than that and I'm not doing my part.
YoYoMa

Postby Tekkel » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:36 am

So I was looking at my wws logs and sov seems to be the best seal for this boss. U basicly want to obtain the trinket from alar. Get a good spelldmg+on use spelldmg trinket and wait for the proc on spelldmg. Pop your other trinket, pop aw and apply sov. I've yet got to do fully testing but based on my last VR takedown I see a difference of 180 damage per sov tick with this way of applying it. It basicly makes the alar trinket remotely useful when u are in a situation that sov has a relative small chance of falling off. Maybe swap your high spelldmg weapon for the lc mace to keep the stack up throughout the fight. That 180damage would probably do more tps then the 50dmg extra on your weapon does for concecration and holy shield damage. sov hits on a 5 stack are pathetic anyway.
http://wowwebstats.com/d1x34fq3yri6q?s=5803-6179&m
Tekkel

Postby Frickit » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:23 pm

Exodius wrote:If 300 is too low, how in the world would you kill him on a progression kill?

kara+badge loot =450ish SD
Frickit

Postby Infernosaint » Sat May 24, 2008 6:58 am

I'm running with 403 spelldmg unbuffed in my boss tanking gear.. NO T4 whatsoever..

i have the 2.3 chest and the 2.4 leggings and the 2 crafted items. Amani Punisher +40 SD.. thats about it.. I guess i will get the T4 gloves, head and shoulders when i can, an then get a spelldmg trinket.. never been on VR yet.. but i will be soon
If you don't fall over when looking at my zomgawesome stats, i'm in prot or RP gear.
Infernosaint

Postby MrDuck » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:32 am

So i've just tanked VR for 1st time now, had 350 unbuffed spelldmg with my MgT(that warlock/sp one) trinket, Flask of blinding light + wizard oil + food got me to 495 spelldamage and i was really surprised, i didn't have mana issues even though I forgot to judge Wisdom (lol shoot me, no judgement >.< /fail), but i still owned all 3 warriors on threat, cos he spams his aoe often enough to keep my mana pool healthy,and SoVengeance makes huge sense then :)
I dodged 1st 2 knockbacks, another few i held aggro anyways so he kept moving to me :/ Then i was fighting for it with another 2 warriors,but i think that definitely shown these who said i can't tank it before the fight :)
So imo, 400sd buffed should do the job if you have SoV, dunno how would SoR do here,it's some not really small difference imo,but it's pretty easy,though i had the luck to get 1st hit even without asking, so i was way above other tanks for first 25% :-)
MrDuck

Postby Jellypop » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:18 pm

i actually have trouble raising my spell damage now that i'm in hyjal.

can't seem to break 600 flasked and everything.

with totems of course i break 700
Jellypop

Postby Talmus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:02 am

Lakirby wrote:Went in tonight for the first time, had pretty much a dream setup for me to open (ret pally for Sanctity Aura and elemental shaman with Wrath of Air totem). With totem, I had ~580 spell damage (I was using Flask of Blinding Light + Superior Wizard Oil + Blackened Basilisk) and never really dropped aggro on VR down to 65% when the raid leader called a wipe due to DPS being stupid and dying to orbs.

We'll get him next time :)

Sounds like our run...I held agro almost the entire time with 350'ish SD, the healers had no problem keeping me alive, but unfortunately they couldn't keep themselves alive. :(
Talmus

Postby Losbullitt » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:32 pm

3.0.2 update

VR was easy. Two tanks held him against the knockbacks. Solid burn through and through. It is cake now. :shock:
Losbullitt

Postby Worldie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:02 am

Well, not like it was anywhere close to hard before ;)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Tempest Keep