Remove Advertisements

WTF is Sucker Punch?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: WTF is Sucker Punch?

Postby Arnock » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:10 pm

I, personally, just see a trailer, think something along the lines of "hey, that looks interesting," and then precede to either see the movie in theaters or wait for its release. Reading film reviews beforehand tend to make me overthink the movie when I see it.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Garov » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:24 pm

Arnock wrote:I, personally, just see a trailer,

If you see 4 cool fight scene trailers, this is basically Sucker Punch. Except they added some really lame crap in between each fight trailer.
Garov

Postby Gracerath » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:21 am

Movie = Enjoyed

When you sit back and let it dawn on you that the movie takes place in an insane asylum, it works. It is kind of cheap when you can just plop down any movie down in an insane asylum if you want to have some sort of crazy mental adventure, but it still works for me.

I thought the plot was quite simple. Its not deep or anything but again, it works.

I try to ignore most film critics and decide for myself if something interests me. The only time I've let a film revew sway my decision was for The Last Airbender. I'm glad I waited and then Redbox'd that shit.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Hokahey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:32 am

Arnock wrote:I, personally, just see a trailer, think something along the lines of "hey, that looks interesting," and then precede to either see the movie in theaters or wait for its release. Reading film reviews beforehand tend to make me overthink the movie when I see it.

On the other hand, I *do* like to read reviews afterward. I like to see what other people thought of it.
Hokahey

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:04 am

I generally avoid reviews... though sometimes I'll ask a friend that has seen a movie if they liked it, but I don't request a full synopsis or a breakdown of why they did/didn't like the movie. On the same token, if someone asks me if a movie is good... my usual response is "I liked/didn't like it." More often than not, my decision to watch a movie is based on whether or not I saw a really awesome trailer for it and if I have nothing else I'd rather be doing. Movies based off games/books that I like will almost always get at least one viewing in theaters.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:38 pm

Skye1013 wrote: Movies based off games/books that I like will almost always get at least one viewing in theaters.

Unfortunately, this logic led me to see the Eragon movie...

*shudders*
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:20 pm

I never said the movies always turn out to be good. :P

Though there were some hotties in Eragon, so it wasn't a total loss. :)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22 am

Just saw the film, I enjoyed it a lot. It was 100% what I hoped it would be.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:47 pm

I saw it in IMAX this weekend, it was entertaining. Not a particularly deep film, just an excuse to combine a bunch of different genres within an action sequence. However, those action sequences were pretty cool.
Last edited by theckhd on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby bldavis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:56 pm

theckhd wrote:I saw it in IMAX this weekend, it was entertaining. Not a particularly deep film, just an excuse to combine a bunch of different genres within and action sequence. However, those action sequences were pretty cool.

and what more do we need?

oh ya five hot chicks beating the crap out of everything....
CHECK!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Chunes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Saw it this last weekend, admittedly more drunk than I probably should have been to really enjoy the movie, but hey, whatever.

I think at the end of the day, I didn't really enjoy this one. Let me put it another way, had I been stoned out of my mind, I probably would have loved this flic. Only being boozed up though, my mind had a hard time reconciling all the disparate elements in each "combat scene". Samurai with chain guns? M4's and airplanes vs. orcs and dragons? I wasn't really digging it.

I did enjoy the various layers that the movie presented, but probably owing to my intoxication I was not able to reconcile it at the end.

spoiler question:
so she gets lobotomized in the end? assumed that jenna malone was her alter-ego, but if the main char got a spike driven through her frontal lobe, what happened to her alter ego? It was all in her head? Not sure if I really like that.
Chunes

Postby culhag » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:17 am

I forgot to mention, Babydoll really needs more CBH.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Blackharon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:07 am

culhag wrote:I forgot to mention, Babydoll really needs more CBH.

I left the movie saying the same thing. It was a good 'turn off your brain' movie imo. Just the kind of movie I wanted when I walked in.
The Cat's out of the bag!
Pickpawcket for iPhone and iPad
http://www.pickpawcket.com
Blackharon

Postby Jonlo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:23 am

Speaking of movies, I saw this movie, and it was awesome (Yes, it's real)
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby Melathys » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Fivelives wrote:Why would people only listen to critics they agree with? That ... doesn't make much sense. It's like "hey, I'm only going to listen to people that validate my opinion, instead of challenging it".

I think its more a "hey, I like the movies this guy likes, so when he likes a movie, maybe its worth me going to see"

Chunes wrote:Saw it this last weekend, admittedly more drunk than I probably should have been to really enjoy the movie, but hey, whatever.

I think at the end of the day, I didn't really enjoy this one. Let me put it another way, had I been stoned out of my mind, I probably would have loved this flic. Only being boozed up though, my mind had a hard time reconciling all the disparate elements in each "combat scene". Samurai with chain guns? M4's and airplanes vs. orcs and dragons? I wasn't really digging it.

I think this movie just isn't for some people. The disparate elements are exactly why I loved this movie. Does it make sense?...does any movie with dragons make realistic sense?
One of the things I like most about this movie was thinking outside of the box for telling the story, and for that exact reason, a lot of people don't like it. Like for the dances. Instead of showing what's going on as she dances (ie, boring, lets show so and so grabbing the map while so and so dances in the background) we get an entertaining "dream" sequence showing what's getting got while not being boring about it
Melathys

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum