Remove Advertisements

Graphics Card Question

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Graphics Card Question

Postby knaughty » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:13 pm

gibborim wrote:My point is more that in the Ven Diagram of Electrical Engineers and people who could assemble their own computer, the EE circle should be almost completely within the 'can assemble a computer' circle. Or, they should easily be able to learn it quickly.

They could also assemble a toaster from parts if they wanted to. But maybe they're not actually interested in build toasters (or PCs). Maybe they're interested in power-grids, green energy or whatever the fuck else and they simply think of their personal computer as a tool.

Apple get this. Go look at their "post-PC" marketing material.

In the 30's till the 50's people built "specials" - home-brew cars that were often amazing performers. That's how Lotus got started, as an example.

The only sort of car you can still build from bits is the descendant of the Lotus 7, and it doesn't comply with current road rules. Cars are now a "No user serviceable parts inside" device. PCs are going the same way.

Right Now:
  • You cannot assemble any equivalent to an Apple computer from parts, except the Mac Pro. Same specs, butt-fuck-ugly-case-with-eight-things-haning-off-it does not count as an iMac.
  • Many of the Intel parts are Apple exclusive - want the world's fastest desktop IO interface? Buy a Mac, no one else in the world is shipping Thunderbolt.
  • If you're using a Mac Pro, you're probably running Mac-only software (entire entertainment industry).
  • Last time I checked, the Mac Pro was good value. I don't need something that powerful, so I don't stay current.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby gibborim » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:25 pm

knaughty wrote:[*]Many of the Intel parts are Apple exclusive - want the world's fastest desktop IO interface? Buy a Mac, no one else in the world is shipping Thunderbolt.

I guess I should redirect you to your own point about market share and practicality.
gibborim

Postby laterna » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:45 pm

Knaughty, I never said macs weren't safer than windows....

Also, safety in the general banking world =/= basic user safety. If someone goes out of their way to hurt my computer, having a mac is not gonna stop me, or any other end-user.

I still think you're missing my point. Entertainment business does need macs. Hence why the firm Isiz contacted said they'll supply him with a Mac when he signs up. However, whether he needs, or any user needs to buy a mac is extremely debeatable. Why would you waste money on something you do not really need? Is Isiz going to absolutely need to buy a Mac? From the reasons he showed me, not necessarily. The only critical reason is the fact that he has a few mac-only programs, which he can always run off a partitioned OS X. Whether or not it is legal, is irrelevant, simply because he is a home user. No one is EVER going to question him.

Mac Pro being cost-effective? it costs 2450 quid to build the basic one, with 3 gigabyte ram, a 4core Nehalem, 1 terra drive and a 5770. NO SCREEN (from what I saw). My 8 giga, 4core SB, 1 terra, 570, 64gb ssd machine costed nearly half of that, for more performance. And all of this to get an "apple" ?

Its pretty obvious that if you need an apple, you have to pay the premium. Its very wrong to pay the premium because you want an apple for the "looks" unless you value looks so much.

Furthermore I disagree that PC's are becoming "non-servicable parts inside". The difference between cars and PC's, is the size of usage that is going on. In most developed countries, people are using PC's for more and more hours every day, from business to entertainment. Simply due to the amount of people who use it people will always look to increase performance, make stuff cheaper etc. Also, building a computer takes 2 hours. Building a car ?

Gibborim, I'm still trying to decide my masters discipline. I would like to avoid power signal and communications and deal with the electronics side of things. Ideally, digital electronics design, silicon manufacturing etc. Unfortunately, that represents an extremely small sector of the marketshare, and I experienced it first hand earlier this year where we got practically 5 digital electronic placements requests. Although, it is considered that communications usually holds the money of the industry.

Also, you'd be suprised at the number of EEENG's who can't build a pc. Especially chinese students. The university average in marks had the students who were in exchange from a chinese university scoring about 52% average in the laboratorie and 86% average in exams, with all other students scoring an average of 75% in laboratories and 50% in exams
laterna

Postby knaughty » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:48 pm

Just pointing out that "I want bleeding edge tech" is not necessarily a reason to skip buying a Mac.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:50 pm

laterna wrote:The university average in marks had the students who were in exchange from a chinese university scoring about 52% average in the laboratorie and 86% average in exams, with all other students scoring an average of 75% in laboratories and 50% in exams

I know which I'd rather hire...
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby laterna » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:54 pm

Me ? :p
laterna

Postby gibborim » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:17 am

laterna wrote:Also, you'd be suprised at the number of EEENG's who can't build a pc. Especially chinese students. The university average in marks had the students who were in exchange from a chinese university scoring about 52% average in the laboratorie and 86% average in exams, with all other students scoring an average of 75% in laboratories and 50% in exams

Almost all the Chinese exchange students I interacted with were working on Math degrees. I accidentally enrolled in an "international" calc section one year. I got pretty good at deciphering heavily accented English that year. My TA used "plurse" and "minurse" as the name for literally every mathematical operation.
gibborim

Postby knaughty » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:18 am

laterna wrote:Mac Pro being cost-effective? it costs 2450 quid to build the basic one,

AH HA!

The ridiculous "Foreign person" tax that Apple apply to most of their export markets.

We have the same problem in Australia.

Aussie $ is currently buying like $1.04 US. Tax is 10%. Shipping is bugger all.

US Mac Pro: $2,499. Add 10% = $2,750

"Shipping".... $500.... IE: 20 damn percent.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:20 am

laterna wrote:Also, you'd be suprised at the number of EEENG's who can't build a pc. Especially chinese students. The university average in marks had the students who were in exchange from a chinese university scoring about 52% average in the laboratorie and 86% average in exams, with all other students scoring an average of 75% in laboratories and 50% in exams

Just to head off any cries of "Racism" - unless the job you're hiring someone for is "doing exams", the ability to do practical work is more important than the ability to pass exams.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Talaii » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 am

Mac Pro being cost-effective? it costs 2450 quid to build the basic one, with 3 gigabyte ram, a 4core Nehalem, 1 terra drive and a 5770. NO SCREEN (from what I saw). My 8 giga, 4core SB, 1 terra, 570, 64gb ssd machine costed nearly half of that, for more performance. And all of this to get an "apple" ?

You're running a Xeon in your desktop? The price difference on the chips is big. The 2.8GHz quad-core xeon in that Mac Pro is $1229 on newegg, whereas your sandy bridge chip is more like $224 or $328 (2500k/2600k). They are also running ECC ram, which is also more expensive, and so are boards that support both of the above.

Now, whether or not a Xeon is worth the money at the moment (without going dual-core) is questionable, especially since sandy bridge is a lot newer than the socket-1366 xeon lineup the mac pros are using, is another question entirely. But your Sandy bridge desktop to a mac pro is far from a fair comparison.
Talaii

Postby Panzerdin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:56 am

How do you figure Macs are cost effective? A PC with an i5-2500k, GX560/HD6950 and 4GB DDR3 1600MHz is ~£800. A Mac with equivalent specs has three disadvantages, namely that it : a) doesn't exist; b) would cost me at least a grand more and c) includes the price of a screen that I already own. As a bonus, the cooling sucks, OSX is frankly annoying, and it has no expandability. Unless you like to do bad things to your hardware and need a PC you physically can't open to stop yourself or break Windows repeatedly (in which case an equally good solution would be to use Linux), then Macs are so much more expensive than equivalent PCs that they don't factor in.

Oh, and Thunderbolt is useless because it isn't any faster than USB 3 for practical purposes: only the very highest of high-end SSDs can actually read/write fast enough for anyone to notice a difference.
Last edited by Panzerdin on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Flex » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:30 am

As a bonus, the cooling sucks

Hot cases? Pretty sure they're designed so heat is funneled to the case to bleed it off.

Oh, and Thunderbolt is useless because it isn't any faster than USB 3 for practical purposes: only the very highest of high-end SSDs can actually read/write fast enough for anyone to notice a difference.

Thunderbolt isn't limited to disk drives and the tech demos show how it is pretty cool for what it is.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Panzerdin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:43 am

In order:

1. I mean that the mac either runs hot or has the fans go crazy if it's doing anything demanding.
2. You can store data on Hard Disks, USB Sticks, CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, SSDs or magnetic tape: you're still limited by the read/write speed of the storage medium you're using. SSDs are the fastest things going, and even then only the very fastest actually exceed the maximum speed of USB 3.0. Thunderbolt can be as fast as it likes, it's still limited by what it's reading from and writing to.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Flex » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:52 am

Panzerdin wrote:In order:

1. I mean that the mac either runs hot or has the fans go crazy if it's doing anything demanding.
2. You can store data on Hard Disks, USB Sticks, CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, SSDs or magnetic tape: you're still limited by the read/write speed of the storage medium you're using. SSDs are the fastest things going, and even then only the very fastest actually exceed the maximum speed of USB 3.0. Thunderbolt can be as fast as it likes, it's still limited by what it's reading from and writing to.

1) What mac are you using? My iMac does not do that, nor does my MacBook. The loudest thing in my room is my external 2TB hard drive.
2) But Thunderbolt is not limited to just file storage devices like you are implying as it can drive monitors as well as sending data to your SSD raid array and drive a docking station for various other items and being such high bandwidth all that can go on without making any other part of it worse. It is a one port to rule them all thing, basically what the original point of USB was taken up a notch.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby knaughty » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Panzerdin wrote:Oh, and Thunderbolt is useless because it isn't any faster than USB 3 for practical purposes: only the very highest of high-end SSDs can actually read/write fast enough for anyone to notice a difference.

Typical WinTel bigot argument.

Macs suck because they don't have BlueRay / USB3, which are awesome! Firewire and USB2 simply don't cut it!

<Apple launches ThunderBolt, which kicks the shit out of USB3>

USB3 is clearly good enough! No one needs anything faster!

Any Windows technology that Macs are missing is always critically important. Any PC technology that Apple launch first (hello, USB?) is always beyond the bleeding edge and useless.

Obviously SSDs are going to remain slow and expensive forever. I mean, it isn't like Moore's law applies to flash chips.

Oh... wait... never mind.

Panzerdin wrote:: a) doesn't exist; b) would cost me at least a grand more

Are you insane or simply incapable of using this thing the rest of use refer to as "logic"? You can't claim something doesn't exist and is more expensive, you just come across like a frothing WinTel fanboi.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Stuff