Front
Side

Wireframe
Wireframe without glass
Wireframe with glass

Details
Basic coloring
Closer detail

The UVing was done very last minute (this is a modeling project, just did the texturing on a whim in the last 10 minutes before uploading), so I know it's not perfect. All in all, I think it came out pretty well. We're moving on to a car modeling project next (fucking blueprints are impossible to find for old model cars), plus I'm starting to sketch out some side projects between failed job interviews.
Dazhbog

Re: What to do with a free copy of Maya

Postby Masumi » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:59 pm

3ds Max is a lot easier to use, one of the bad things about being a scene designer is that some companies will want you to use maya and I get head aches designing with it. 3ds max is more effective from my experience.
Want to know how I am currently feeling? listen to the music in this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdNWYUMZpo
Masumi

Postby Arnock » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Looks pretty good to me. I have very little experience with polygon modeling, mostly just fooling around with Blender. I've done quite a bit of nurbs modeling with rhino though.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Aergis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:00 am

Masumi wrote:3ds Max is a lot easier to use, one of the bad things about being a scene designer is that some companies will want you to use maya and I get head aches designing with it. 3ds max is more effective from my experience.

That was mine as well.
Maya is great if you have the people to support it, but it's a challenge if you're the one doing all the work.

Though, I do like the colors and overall UI feel much better in maya, I feel more comfortable. In max i feel like I need glasses.
Shit, maybe I need glasses.

What do you plan to get into Daz? Film? FX? Games?
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Dazhbog » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:36 pm

Don't get me wrong, Maya is HUGE, but I'd much rather learn the giant program now (over an 18 month course that shows us basically everything to do with it, plus post with Photoshop, Illustrator, AfterEffects, PLUS work in the Unity engine and some other programs), and feel comfortable dropping into a 3DS environment later on. My instructor says once you know Maya it takes about a week to convert to 3DS Max, and you're good to go.

The course is broad but I'm pushing into games, Aergis. I'm already opening lines of communication to some local studios, and sent my resume into Turbine this week (not for an artist postion - yet - but I'm pushing hard to get a network built for when I graduate). Also been chatting with some folks at Doublefine and Red5 Studios; PAX was good to me in making some new friends.
Dazhbog

Postby Aergis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Ah nice.
One of these days I'm going to save a bunch of money in the bank and go work as an unpaid intern at http://www.blur.com
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Dazhbog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:45 am

Ooooo, shiny. I could see myself being lured into films as well, although the money in the gaming industry seems better these days. (Yes, I know most of those were game trailer material. Vicodin apparently makes me go off on tangents).

In current news, however, I'm having a *bitch* of a time trying to find blueprints for a 1967 Mini Cooper S Mk2. Argh.
Dazhbog

Postby Invisusira » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:20 am

http://www.the-blueprints.com

All sorts of great rotoscoping material on that site, particularly if you're looking for vehicles.

Here's your Cooper S:
http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprint ... c_1964_67/
Invisusira

Postby Dazhbog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks Invis =) Already been over T-B with a fine toothed comb, though; the instructor is specifically asking us to find 4 matched drawings though (side, top, front, back) for our first car model, so my choices are going with a Mk1 (doable, but I really wanted to model the Mk2 since they're used in the original Italian Job) or choosing a different car entirely, it seems. Frustrating, particularly after I couldn't dig up nearly anything for a 1977 Lotus Esprit Series 1, which was my first choice.

I'm tempted to just do one of the new Minis and have done.
Dazhbog

Return to Arkham Asylum