[10] Heroic Magmaw

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Heroic Magmaw

Postby mosa » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:19 am

Should my ranged dps and healers (so there is 4 people at ranged) be stacked for this? It seemed like last night people were getting infected and I"m assuming other then the hunter doing the kiting that should never happen.
mosa

Postby ravengage » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:39 pm

mosa wrote:Should my ranged dps and healers (so there is 4 people at ranged) be stacked for this? It seemed like last night people were getting infected and I"m assuming other then the hunter doing the kiting that should never happen.

On our kill we had our 2 ranged and 3 heals all stay at range spread out, the DK kiter also counted as a ranged and we even had the add tank keep the adds at range (he had camera issues if he took them close to the boss) which meant that our melee had to come out to range as well to DPS the constructs.

It sounds weird I know, made more sense to have people stack up at melee as much as possible but when we tried that we had problems with pillars spawning in melee once in a blue moon and causing deaths. Seems like everyone found the ranged and spread out strat easier. We collapsed in for PW:Barrier but that's about it.

Just try out each way 1-2 times to see what people are comfortable with, but no you don't *need* to stack up at all.
ravengage

Postby mosa » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:44 am

We noticed that if we had the ranged stack up the spit seemed to hit more than one person... so we quickly did away with that.

Another question? How do your healers deal with the spit? When we were two healing it spit was killing people, how do your healers handle this? We ended up having to 3 heal it to get the kill, but that felt a bit like overkill healing wise.
mosa

Postby Belloc » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:27 am

I'm willing to bet that most people use 3 healers. It might feel like overkill, but it's also much more safe.
Belloc

Postby Geaux » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:17 am

Hey does anyone have any good information to share with getting through phase 3? My guild cant pull it together for phase 3 and everyone dies so fast. We use the DK kiting strategy and put 3 dps (Fire Mage, Shadow Priest, and a Frost DK)in melee and DK kiter (HB slow specced), Holy Priest, and Destro Lock in ranged so the constructs and worms spawn away from the bulk of the raid. Usually the head goes down for phase 3 around 30-34% and our best attempt is 6%. Thanks in advance for any usefull tips :)
Geaux

Postby Belloc » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:19 am

Stop stacking in melee during phase 3. Shadow Breath deals splash damage which means that you are taking a lot more damage than necessary. Once you stop stacking in melee during the last phase, your attempts will last a lot longer.
Belloc

Postby Geaux » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks, we will have to stress that more tonight. Does the kiter tradtionally continue to kite during phase 3 when worms spawn or just dps magmaw and prey? May seem like a silly question but in this thread noone has gone into detail about phase 3 of this fight as I'm guessing its the easy part of the fight. Our raid has no trouble usually untill we get to the 30% mark then people lose their freaking minds lol.
Geaux

Postby Belloc » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:52 pm

I'd suggest having the DK continue kiting in phase 3 -- at least for a first kill.
Belloc

Postby Geaux » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks Belloc, your help is greatly appreciated :)
Geaux

Postby Fetzie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 pm

P3 is now triggered at exactly 30% unless the boss is impaled.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Belloc » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Pyrea wrote:P3 is now triggered at exactly 30% unless the boss is impaled.

I was under the impression that such was always the case.
Belloc

Postby Fetzie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:43 am

he would go into P3 somewhere between 27 and 29% for us before the patch, so we were surprised last night when we did our damage stop at 30% before the last mangle and nef started shooting shadow bolts at us. It is no real biggie, we just do our damage stop 2-3% earlier but still.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Geaux » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:31 am

I am happy to report that thanks to the advice given yesterday from you fellow tankadins, we were able to 1 shot Heroic Magmaw last night. Spreading out made it a piece of cake and my reward for 2 weeks straight of constant wipes is my T11 heroic gloves. Yummmm
Geaux

Postby Daenerys » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:23 am

How does the kiting work? Do the worms eventually despawn on their own, or is the kiter supposed to kite more and more worms until the end of the fight, or is one kiter able to kill most of the worms while kiting? We don't have a hunter or frost dk available, unless i make our Main tank go dps and shift a healer to tank and a dps to heal, which I would like to avoid. I have two mages, however. Just trying to figure out how the kiting works so that we can come up with a strategy for our 10 man.. Thank you!
Daenerys

Postby Arianne » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:42 am

You just kite more and more of them as the fight goes on unless they die from attrition (or other DPS with DoTs that like to boost DPS by killing them). AFAIK having one of the mages be fire and using flamestrike/living bomb to pick them up will work.
Arianne

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)