Remove Advertisements

trinket swapping

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

trinket swapping

Postby Talek » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey there, just a quick question...

I just got a purple mastery trinket and a couple purple stamina trinket and just have 1 very easy question:

when would I use my mastery trinket over one of the stamina trinkets and why? The mastery trinket in question is the mirror of broken images. Basically I need to learn the situations where 1 is better over another, examples are good too (raids)

Talek

Re: trinket swapping

Postby BlackNet » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:06 am

I suggest 3 trinket classes, 1 for threat, 1 for mastery and 1 for stam.

Stamina is good for gimmick fights, i.e. magic damage and damage that bypasses block/parry/dodge. There is currently no good clean way to reduce it so you have to eat it by stacking stamina.

Mastery is good for general purpose main stream day to day melee damage. Learning fights toss it on.

Threat is good when everyone knows the fights, has a good solid sound strategy and ready to open that can of whoop ass on the boss and unleash pure hell.
Uncomfortable truth : We're all pugs.
BlackNet

Postby PsiVen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:02 pm

I've used my Valiona stam trinket (use: dodge) and Baradin mastery trinket (use: resist) on every fight so far, and can't think of a reason to deviate from that. Mastery is good for mitigating physical damage on every fight, stamina is always good for having a healthy buffer, and they provide 1 cooldown each for magical and physical damage. Anything with tons of magical damage just makes the resist cd more important, and anything with more physical damage just makes the mastery more important. I guess if there was an equal-ilvl mastery trinket with a physical cd, that would see some use.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby yappo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:11 am

PsiVen wrote:I've used my Valiona stam trinket (use: dodge) and Baradin mastery trinket (use: resist) on every fight so far, and can't think of a reason to deviate from that. Mastery is good for mitigating physical damage on every fight, stamina is always good for having a healthy buffer, and they provide 1 cooldown each for magical and physical damage. Anything with tons of magical damage just makes the resist cd more important, and anything with more physical damage just makes the mastery more important. I guess if there was an equal-ilvl mastery trinket with a physical cd, that would see some use.

Eh, Unsolvable Riddle? 4% avoidance is pretty good.
yappo

Postby econ21 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:43 am

This question is essentially about the relative value of stamina vs mastery and so, while it might be easy to ask, it is rather hard to answer. It's been endlessly debated here, with proponents on both sides and no consensus. Most agree that the principle is to get enough stamina for the encounter then stack mastery (until block capped) but what is enough stamina is unclear (and few can get block capped without straining hard).

That said, my impression is that even some of those keen on stamina on this board also use the Baradin Hold mastery/resist trinket because of the on-use function. It is a nice all rounder because the mastery helps with melee damage while the resist can help with some magic damage that mastery would not help with. I use it and a stamina trinket for my sadly limited raiding; from the posts of more experienced raiders here, it seems the most common set up.

I would go all mastery if it could get me to block cap, but I am still a few points shy of that gemming mainly for mastery and that gemming strategy has left me with relatively low HPs. Consequently, I use a stamina trinket to bulk me up.

EDIT: If you want to know what bosses mastery is good/bad for relative to stamina, a user is trying to start a discussion on that issue here:
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic
econ21

Postby yappo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:01 am

econ21 wrote:This question is essentially about the relative value of stamina vs mastery and so, while it might be easy to ask, it is rather hard to answer. It's been endlessly debated here, with proponents on both sides and no consensus. Most agree that the principle is to get enough stamina for the encounter then stack mastery (until block capped) but what is enough stamina is unclear (and few can get block capped without straining hard).

That said, my impression is that even some of those keen on stamina on this board also use the Baradin Hold mastery/resist trinket because of the on-use function. It is a nice all rounder because the mastery helps with melee damage while the resist can help with some magic damage that mastery would not help with. I use it and a stamina trinket for my sadly limited raiding; from the posts of more experienced raiders here, it seems the most common set up.

I would go all mastery if it could get me to block cap, but I am still a few points shy of that gemming mainly for mastery and that gemming strategy has left me with relatively low HPs. Consequently, I use a stamina trinket to bulk me up.

EDIT: If you want to know what bosses mastery is good/bad for relative to stamina, a user is trying to start a discussion on that issue here:
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic

Again, depends on content.

Those of us who got started late need a lot less health than the numbers given here. I'm at 143k ub, but an average ilevel 356 gear (that would be what I'm actually wearing, not the inflated number given me by PvP gear in my bags) with 90% CTC gives me a combination of armour and CTC that allows me to have far less health than adviced.

For comparision I'm 5/12 (I never get pugged in for Magmaw due to an usually absent tank never failing to be present during that farming fight, so it OUGHT to be 6/12) with Atremedes, Valiona and Council wipes resulting from just about anything but tank (that would be me) dying. Nef, Cho and Alak being totally unknown entities.

While 5/12, normal mode, is newbie progression, it's still way too much to allow me to state that I'm a pre-raiding tank.
yappo

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice