Remove Advertisements

[Ele Shaman] Gearing questions

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ele Shaman] Gearing questions

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:07 pm

So my Ele Shaman will be 85 this weekend, and I obviously want to get in heroics soon, so I'm looking to see what gear I can snag on the AH, and I've found there's not much. Either there's a shortage of it, or too much competition for it, and there's not much in the way of spellpower mail on the AH besides the legs and belt. But, there's another question that needs deciding..

Staff, or Mace/Dagger + Shield?

There's the BOE 359 staff on the AH, and the crafted 359 shield, but there are no BOE 359 1H weapons for an ele shammy. There's only one BOE 346, and it's not optimal due to the crit on it. So I can take the better spellpower and stam of the staff, or the armor and lower spellpower of the mace/shield. There is a 353 spellpower mace and dagger coming in ZA/ZG, so perhaps I should just wait for those?..

But given the lack of BOE gear and my bad luck with drops, it might be a long time before I get in heroics if I don't find some BOE gear to push me into heroics. Perhaps the crafted PVP gear?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Re: [Ele Shaman] Gearing questions

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:23 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=61 ... 525.0.4067

PvP mace + BoE Shield
35 Int
11896 Armor
97 Resilience (0.26%)
59 Crit (0.33%)
77 Haste (0.6%)

= 35 int + (136) stats

vs

Chelley's Staff
7 Sta
101 Spi
140 Mastery
(0.78)
1 Spell Power

= 242 stats
The staff looks marginally better, despite not being able to enchant for the extra 40 int. So basically the question is how you value the armor and 35 int (regen, spellpower) versus the spirit/mastery?
Kelaan

Postby Levantine » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:11 am

Remember that Intellect is vastly superior to secondary stats. As in, you're looking at it being more than twice as good as the best bang for your buck secondary (which from what I remember is haste, not hit(spirit) or mastery anyway.
Levantine

Postby RedAces » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:19 am

hey,

Levantine wrote:Remember that Intellect is vastly superior to secondary stats. As in, you're looking at it being more than twice as good as the best bang for your buck secondary (which from what I remember is haste, not hit(spirit) or mastery anyway.

You should get hitcapped anyway... so:
Spirit (never gem hit and only reforge into hit if the item already has Spirit) till cap > Int >> Haste = Mastery > Crit

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby halabar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:13 pm

Levantine wrote:Remember that Intellect is vastly superior to secondary stats. As in, you're looking at it being more than twice as good as the best bang for your buck secondary (which from what I remember is haste, not hit(spirit) or mastery anyway.

Thanks for the pointer, it's good to keep that in mind.

According to EJ and MrRobot, after hitcap, it's int>haste=mastery>crit, and it's been pretty easy to get hitcapped.

After doing some more digging, it looks like my best choice is waiting for ZA/ZG, one of the new BOE's in 4.1, or archeology. There's one of the Arch staffs that are actually BiS pre-raid. Current price for Chelley's staff is 40k+, and I'm not paying that...

halabar

Postby Levantine » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:17 am

Staff of Sorcerer-Thane Thaurissan makes me not regret levelling Arch... That and the Spirit version and Tyrande's doll.
Levantine

Postby halabar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:10 am

Levantine wrote:Staff of Sorcerer-Thane Thaurissan makes me not regret levelling Arch... That and the Spirit version and Tyrande's doll.

Yeah, since mining is totally in the crapper from the botters, I'm looking at starting up Arch again on my hunter while in LFG, and will be gunning for that staff. The Ring of the Boy Emperor isn't bad either, especially if you are not raiding yet.

halabar

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes