Celebrity Idol - America vs World

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Celebrity Idol - America vs World

Postby Gerunna » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:01 am

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Where was it decided that this was about pop? I thought this was just about good vocals in general.

hmm so Jay-Z and Nate Dogg would be on this list.

Still sad about Nate passing away last week; Regulators was an awesome record.
ImageImage
Gerunna

Postby Brekkie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:07 am

cerwillis wrote:
tlitp wrote:
cerwillis wrote:(...) if you guys really wanna cut heads with USA musicians, I welcome the challenge, post your best, and I'll come back with a Yank that created or perfected the style. FACT.

Some people may call them oldies, but all the listed performers are still in the business. Try to find US analogues.

Let's change the game : early The Prodigy (up to and including The Fat of The Land), Laibach, Aussies such as Snog or Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (sorry for picking an extremely cheesy example, this clip makes me giggle like a little girl every single time). Not challenged enough, should we up the ante ? :P

For the first part of the list, well, folk music is folk music. Those clips are good, but I thought that this game was about pop stars. And besides, you actually called her the "French Madonna". We currently have a star by the name of Lady Gaga. Perhaps you have heard of her.

IMO music isn't a competition, but these stupid shows have made it one. I was a little drunk last night, but again, in a steel-cage match of pop stars, it's not a fair fight.

Lady Gaga is British.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:15 am

Gerunna wrote:
Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Where was it decided that this was about pop? I thought this was just about good vocals in general.

hmm so Jay-Z and Nate Dogg would be on this list.

Still sad about Nate passing away last week; Regulators was an awesome record.

Oh...forgot another silky smooth rapper in Q-Tip.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby cerwillis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:52 am

Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:08 pm

I would say that Gaz Coombes from Supergrass is a great English rock singer, a modern day Mark Bolan. Score one for the UK.

tlitp, I really did enjoy your links, thanks for posting.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:24 pm

cerwillis wrote:The Beatles are of course, awesome. They were just trying to sound like Elvis and black American musicians at the time, in their own words. NEXT!!!

And to a large portion of the world they did it better than Elvis and black American music... so since we're talking abut the best, not the first, how on earth can you dismiss them so easily. If you're simply saying your top singers fine, but you can't even pretend to speak for the majority and ignore a group like the Beatles.

Speaking of, Eric Clapton (uniquely 3 time inductee Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), Sting and Freddy Mercury say hi too ;)
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:28 pm

sahiel wrote:
cerwillis wrote:The Beatles are of course, awesome. They were just trying to sound like Elvis and black American musicians at the time, in their own words. NEXT!!!

And to a large portion of the world they did it better than Elvis and black American music... so since we're talking abut the best, not the first, how on earth can you dismiss them so easily. If you're simply saying your top singers fine, but you can't even pretend to speak for the majority and ignore a group like the Beatles.

Speaking of, Eric Clapton (uniquely 3 time inductee Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), Sting and Freddy Mercury say hi too ;)

I <3 Queen
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:52 am

adding to the rock list:

Axel Rose - Guns 'n Roses
Ronald Belford "Bon Scott" - ACDC (ok so he is dead (RIP) but still one of the best rock band frontmen of all time)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum