I love my Netflix!

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: I love my Netflix!

Postby d503 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:22 pm

Aergis wrote:I have comcast... There's a cap?!

250gb and you get a nasty letter. There's a meter on comcast.com if you sign in.
d503

Postby Gladia » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 pm

d503 wrote:
Aergis wrote:I have comcast... There's a cap?!

250gb and you get a nasty letter. There's a meter on comcast.com if you sign in.

Unless your on business class, and even then I've heard stories of people using 300-400gbs and getting a disconnect and a letter. Generally if you call them and play stupid, they enable your service again, with a "do it again and we'll permanently disconnect your service." But i have a friend who consistently goes over 250gbs a month, and gets suspended almost every month.
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
-Stalin

Gladia - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Aelthena - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Veylina - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Druid
Gladia

Postby d503 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:48 pm

I haven't hit the cap since they imposed it, but I'm not a particularly heavy data user.
d503

Postby Arnock » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:12 pm

Does the netflix streaming service have current episodes as they're released like hulu? Or is it only previous season's episodes?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Flipthebird » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Shyrtandros wrote: GF wants to watch Lie To Me.. looks interesting.

I hate that show, personally, but I'm hardly a barometer for what is/isn't good TV. I just despise shows that prop up the protagonist as some sort of superman who's smarter, cooler, and tougher than anyone in a bazillion mile radius, and even their flaws don't make them genuinely vulnerable or weak in any relatable way. For reference, I despise House for exactly these reasons, so if you like that show, then you'll *probably* like Lie to Me.

Except that both those main characters are extremely flawed. In Lie To Me, his flaws are what makes him so great at what he does.
So Hitler was a vegatarian, and a painter.

He must of been like, 'Ahh I can't get the fricken trees...DAMN I will kill EVERYBODY in the world!"

-Eddie Izzard
Flipthebird

Postby d503 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Arnock wrote:Does the netflix streaming service have current episodes as they're released like hulu? Or is it only previous season's episodes?

It's basically like a Movie Rental Store...if it's out on DVD, it can be on Netflix. They have had past seasons of shows, but they do not have the rights to distribute "real time." That being said, they've recently started buying the rights to shows so they are the sole owner/distributor. They'll be launching a Netflix "online only" series called House of Cards later this year.

It may seem like Netflix is pretty limited because of the inevitable delay in that content, but they do a better job of filling the gaps of previous seasons (provided they've got the license to distribute/stream that content). A good example is LOST. Before the finale, I know a bunch of friends that binged on Seasons 1 - 5 because they were on Netflix, and then used OnDemand, or Hulu/ABC.com for the newer ones.

I definitely think Netflix' offer is worth my money. In the last, you can pay $7.99 a month to get just streaming, which is a pretty decent deal.

Lump in the collaboration with XBOX 360, PS3, AppleTV, every browser, Roku, and integration in Internet-enabled TVs, and you can't really deny the inherent value.
d503

Postby d503 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Flipthebird wrote:
Hokahey wrote:

I hate that show, personally, but I'm hardly a barometer for what is/isn't good TV. I just despise shows that prop up the protagonist as some sort of superman who's smarter, cooler, and tougher than anyone in a bazillion mile radius, and even their flaws don't make them genuinely vulnerable or weak in any relatable way. For reference, I despise House for exactly these reasons, so if you like that show, then you'll *probably* like Lie to Me.

Except that both those main characters are extremely flawed. In Lie To Me, his flaws are what makes him so great at what he does.

The little bit of Lie to Me that I watched, I really enjoyed. Tim Roth has a great range, and uses his cynicism enough to be exciting, but not so much to be annoying (House...though I love House :P).
d503

Postby Gladia » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:47 pm

d503 wrote:
Arnock wrote:Does the netflix streaming service have current episodes as they're released like hulu? Or is it only previous season's episodes?

It's basically like a Movie Rental Store...if it's out on DVD, it can be on Netflix. They have had past seasons of shows, but they do not have the rights to distribute "real time." That being said, they've recently started buying the rights to shows so they are the sole owner/distributor. They'll be launching a Netflix "online only" series called House of Cards later this year.

It may seem like Netflix is pretty limited because of the inevitable delay in that content, but they do a better job of filling the gaps of previous seasons (provided they've got the license to distribute/stream that content). A good example is LOST. Before the finale, I know a bunch of friends that binged on Seasons 1 - 5 because they were on Netflix, and then used OnDemand, or Hulu/ABC.com for the newer ones.

I definitely think Netflix' offer is worth my money. In the last, you can pay $7.99 a month to get just streaming, which is a pretty decent deal.

Lump in the collaboration with XBOX 360, PS3, AppleTV, every browser, Roku, and integration in Internet-enabled TVs, and you can't really deny the inherent value.

For the most part this is correct, however there are shows that they go up on netflix the following day after airing. Since most of the content for netflix streaming is from their agreement with Starz
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
-Stalin

Gladia

Postby d503 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:58 pm

Gladia wrote:For the most part this is correct, however there are shows that they go up on netflix the following day after airing. Since most of the content for netflix streaming is from their agreement with Starz

Also worth nothing, Netflix is apparently losing the rights to a few Showtime shows that they previously had carte-blanche on - Dexter and Californication: http://goo.gl/aLLvC

Hopefully this doesn't become a trend :/
d503

Postby Gladia » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:11 pm

d503 wrote:
Gladia wrote:For the most part this is correct, however there are shows that they go up on netflix the following day after airing. Since most of the content for netflix streaming is from their agreement with Starz

Also worth nothing, Netflix is apparently losing the rights to a few Showtime shows that they previously had carte-blanche on - Dexter and Californication: http://goo.gl/aLLvC

I saw that earlier today, hopefully like you said, it doesn't become a trend, I know there was an article from Starz that they didnt have any plans to discontinue anything with netflix. I'm not sure who their other content providers are, but it would be disappointing to see new episodes from shows not on netflix until they are out on dvds.
-Stalin

Gladia

Postby Hokahey » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:29 pm

Flipthebird wrote:
Hokahey wrote:

Strictly my opinion, but a flaw that makes you great at what you do isn't a flaw. A character's flaw should genuinely hinder them, or cause them serious problems. For clarity, I don't consider "being a jerkass" anymore a flaw than "being too likeable". That's a character trait, but its not a flaw if nothing really bad happens to you because of it.

If you want to see character flaws, watch "The Shield". There's the episode where Det. Mackey beats information out of a child sex abuser with a phonebook, and it works, but that's usually as close as he gets to being a "good guy". He's a completely amoral monster, and he and everyone around him suffers for it throughout the series. About the only thing he doesn't do is have a substance abuse problem, and I'm guessing that's because it would cripple his ability to do more insanely heinous shit while wearing a badge.
Hokahey

Postby Kelaan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:37 am

Hokahey wrote:I just despise shows that prop up the protagonist as some sort of superman who's smarter, cooler, and tougher than anyone in a bazillion mile radius, and even their flaws don't make them genuinely vulnerable or weak in any relatable way. For reference, I despise House for exactly these reasons...

Hokahey wrote:Strictly my opinion, but a flaw that makes you great at what you do isn't a flaw. A character's flaw should genuinely hinder them, or cause them serious problems. For clarity, I don't consider "being a jerkass" anymore a flaw than "being too likeable". That's a character trait, but its not a flaw if nothing really bad happens to you because of it.

You have a fantastic point about the Shield -- but at the same time, House is still a pretty deeply flawed character. He is in constant pain, struggles with drug addiction, had what seemed like a doomed crush on his boss FOREVER (only recently resolved, I think, though I've seen about thee episodes in the past year), and has few friends. He's often right about a diagnosis, but he's frequently wrong when it comes to how he deals with people. Hell, he's often WRONG the first several times about the diagnosis, but is quick to throw out crap that doesn't work. He's not in the same ballpark of flawed as Mackey is, but he's still a more complex character than many on TV.

It does get a little old sometimes, the "I'm a dick but I'm right" routine, but I generally watch it for the interpersonal soap opera-ness and not with any windering about whether House will eventually get the right diagnosis.
Kelaan

Postby Flex » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:48 pm

d503 wrote:

Probably depends on how aggressive the pursue being a content creator.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Hokahey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:33 am

Kelaan wrote:
Hokahey wrote:I just despise shows that prop up the protagonist as some sort of superman who's smarter, cooler, and tougher than anyone in a bazillion mile radius, and even their flaws don't make them genuinely vulnerable or weak in any relatable way. For reference, I despise House for exactly these reasons...

Hokahey wrote:Strictly my opinion, but a flaw that makes you great at what you do isn't a flaw. A character's flaw should genuinely hinder them, or cause them serious problems. For clarity, I don't consider "being a jerkass" anymore a flaw than "being too likeable". That's a character trait, but its not a flaw if nothing really bad happens to you because of it.

You have a fantastic point about the Shield -- but at the same time, House is still a pretty deeply flawed character. He is in constant pain, struggles with drug addiction, had what seemed like a doomed crush on his boss FOREVER (only recently resolved, I think, though I've seen about thee episodes in the past year), and has few friends. He's often right about a diagnosis, but he's frequently wrong when it comes to how he deals with people. Hell, he's often WRONG the first several times about the diagnosis, but is quick to throw out crap that doesn't work. He's not in the same ballpark of flawed as Mackey is, but he's still a more complex character than many on TV.

It does get a little old sometimes, the "I'm a dick but I'm right" routine, but I generally watch it for the interpersonal soap opera-ness and not with any windering about whether House will eventually get the right diagnosis.

I've watched the show a few times. Substance abuse/addiction is a great flaw, *if* it actually causes you a serious problem. The problem I've had with House is I've never seen even a single episode where he's faced a serious tangible consequence (i.e. a patient dying due to his impaired judgment; having his medical license revoked; having his credibility as doctor completely destroyed; a car wreck while driving under the influence; serious financial problems; seriously impairing health problems; etc.) as a result of it. Same thing with the constant pain. He still does great at almost everything, for all intents and purposes, so how is it a flaw?

As an example, even on the occasion where he checked a mental health patient out of an inpatient mental hospital (while he was a patient, no less), and said patient ends up jumping off a building and seriously injuring/killing himself (I don't clearly recall), neither House nor any other character suffers any tangible consequence. House just looks a little sad for about 5 minutes afterward, *but* he starts to take his own mental health treatment seriously, so its a-ok! :lol:

This isn't to say the show has no entertainment value, or that people who watch it are stupid, but I dislike the way the absence of consequences pretty much ends up *glorifying* his supposed flaws. Like I said, I'm hardly a barometer for good TV, and people should watch what they enjoy, I just don't enjoy those 2 particular shows.
Hokahey

Postby Gracerath » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:54 am

I bought a PS3 and I only have one game that I've played for about 10 hours (Red Dead Redemption) when I first hooked it up. Since then, all I do is use it for Netflix. Also, Netflix on my iphone is pretty sweet.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum