Remove Advertisements

Rate ZA bosses, from Easiest to Hardest with Pally MT?

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Splug » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:06 am

The bear and lynx encounters are "gear checks" to some extent. They're simple tank and spank fights, with a lot of damage flying around. The eagle and dragonhawk encounters require group coordination and repositioning. I'd classify those as "execution checks" more than anything. Thus, the better your gear is, the easier bear/lynx will seem relative to eagle/dragonhawk.

As for hex lord, if everyone can get ahold of ~200 buffed SR, he suddenly becomes a lot easier. When spirit bolts drop down to about 2k damage to the raid once a minute, the abilities he gains from soul drain start to look fairly unimpressive and the raid damage isn't too bad. Just remember to swap back to normal gear for Zul'jin.

So, from my perspective (a T6 guild with SR gear and uh... no paladin tanks unless I bring my alt, who is then not in T6 gear...) we saw:
bear < eagle < hex lord < lynx < zul'jin < dragonhawk

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:26 am

So in other words, Malacrass > * unless you have T6 gear.

Great.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Dorvan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:34 am

Sabindeus wrote:So in other words, Malacrass > * unless you have T6 gear.

Great.

Yep, as a 6/6 SSC 3/4 TK guild that's cleared ZA a couple times now, that's been our experience.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:38 am

Malacrass is an ass. We've gotten him down to sub-25% four times. He's killed me 18 times. I'm not going back until we have a couple cauldrons of SP pots, and everyone can dig up around 125 SR.

We're 5/6 and 3/4, and have gotten 2 timed chests and missed the 3rd by a minute.

I usually duo ZA with a bear; he tanks the Bear form on Bear, and the boss on Dragonhawk and Lynx. I MT the rest because we are complete and utter hax in there.

In terms of difficulty I would rank them:

Bear -> Lynx -> Dragonhawk -> Eagle (then presumably) Zul'Jin -> Hex Lord.

Bear and Lynx are easy if your healers are pro and work well together. Dragonhawk can be a bit dicey if you go the kill-all-the-hatchlings-in-two-pulls route, but at least it's a fast reset. Eagle just kind of sucks if you have a clothie get hit by a bolt and three birds at the same time.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Marimmar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:20 am

Malacrass went down at our 4th try at him, completely without SR (except for the priest buff) or SR-Pots. Equip is a little better than T4 and our DPS is mostly PVP-specced and our priests worked miracles with their CoH (we have no shamans).

Halazzi and the Dragon Hawk boss each cost us an evening of tries without downing them but after some adjustment to our tactics we usually down them in 1st or 2nd try.

Zul'Jin made us some problems with his flying phase and getting the claw assault victims properly healed but he also was downed recently during our 2nd night of tries at him.

As for progression, it depends more on your healers than the actual tank.
As soon as you are at 18k life buffed plus crush immunity you should be able to clear ZA. I think the healers have most of the work to do because of the tremendous damage output to the entire raid in some encounters.
Marimmar

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:20 am

I hopped on my priest and let the bear OT tank Hex lord. Swapped in a couple melee for casters. Died easily. Had a druid and pally healing as well.

Priest AoE and HoTs and instant casts (I'm CoH spec) make this a hell of a lot easier.

Of course the plate helm dropped, and went to the holydin.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Sthallas » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:40 am

Our group would probably say the order of difficutly is the same as the normal progression through the 3 chests (which we almost always get though we never have time for a 4th).

Bear < Eagle < Dragonhawk (why is the 3rd chest always the caster/healer ring??) < Lynx < Malacrass (with CoH it's so easy) < phase 1/2/4/5 ZJ < phase 3 ZJ 8) (since we only ever have 1 rogue)
Sthallas

Postby Questioner » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:04 am

A circle of healing priest makes Hex Lord Malacrass a completely different fight. Without one he is easily the most difficult boss.

Odd that I see people stacking ranged for him...we had to stack melee to get him down (without a CoH priest). With a CoH priest, it didn't matter.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Blaen99 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:02 am

Wow.

My guild was 0/6 and 0/4 when we got down Malacrass...On our first day on him

He's not that hard, honest :( There's a couple tricks with killing him.
Blaen99

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:44 pm

Yeah, Malacrass definitely has tricks and specific raid makeups that make the fight easier.

Which is why I find it amusing that T6 guilds break out the SR gear for him. We've killed him plenty of times and my raid has never had SR gear in their bags, let alone on their person for this fight.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:53 pm

It irritates the hell out of me that you have to stack the raid for him in order to do it without SR.

If you have more than 3 melee, eagle is a monster pain in the ass if you don't also have a shaman. If you have too many casters Hex lord is problematic unless you have someone with imp conc aura.

Swapping people in for hex lord is stupid. You're basically burning some of the raid's ZA timers for that reset for one encounter.

"Hey, thanks for coming in for that. Run along now, baibai."

Killing things is better than not killing things, but it sucks to have to do that.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Zul'aman