Soloing Kael(25)?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Soloing Kael(25)?

Postby Izaac » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:42 pm

I've seen videos of hunters, DKs, and shadow priests successfully soloing Kael(25), and was curious if it would be possible for a paladin to do it as well.

Although I have cruddy gear(mostly heroic blues and a few rep epics), I went in to see how it world play out. A'lar and all the trash went off without a hitch. I then tried the positioning method I saw in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atATvXfxwPU, where you leave the room as the opening speech starts(before the doors shut), and go to the entrance of the raid. There I killed Thaladred and Sanguinar. I killed Capernian right by the shut doors to Kael's room and Telonicus on one of A'lar's balconies.

When the weapons phase started, I noticed i was taking more damage than I would have liked(at least with the advisors right around the corner), and the weapons didn't die fast enough.
This was problem #1.

When the advisors ressed, there were still a few weapons up, and I wasn't able to kill them(the advisors) fast enough to only have to deal with one or two at a time, even with the spacing I did in phase 1. In addition the conflags/stuns/fears kept my locked down for long periods of time. At that point I couldn't keep up with the damage and died.
This was problem #2.

Later on, just to see if I could solo Kael himself, I got someone to help me get through phases 1 - 3 and then leave. In this phase I was still taking too much damage to properly heal though, and I was having difficulty killing the phoenix and the egg, let alone damage Kael much. Afterward I realized I had forgot to put on Seal of Insight, which may have helped some, but would have increased the difficulty of the phoenix killing part. Needless to say, I didn't get though it alive.
This was problem #3.

Overall, it seems like there was a major lack of damage output and self healing.

My question to the experts here is if these problems are possible to overcome. Are future tiers of gear expected to give us the dps and self healing boost needed to get through this? Would going ret be a viable method? Will the WoG nerf make this a distant dream?

In essence, my question is: what is needed for us to down this guy?
Izaac

Re: Soloing Kael(25)?

Postby Vaxas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:03 pm

In my exp, its not keal himself but the advisors that kill. They will blast you away and lock your ass down. I have only killed him with 4 of us. Im skeptical on any soloing that might have been done (high king mulgore comes to mind)
Vaxas

Postby Belloc » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:13 am

Vaxas wrote:In my exp, its not keal himself but the advisors that kill. They will blast you away and lock your ass down. I have only killed him with 4 of us. Im skeptical on any soloing that might have been done (high king mulgore comes to mind)

Soloing by paladins or by other classes? Because other classes certainly can solo Kael without much issue. Paladins don't have the DPS or self-healing to currently do it, though.
Belloc

Postby Treck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:56 am

Belloc wrote:Soloing by paladins or by other classes? Because other classes certainly can solo Kael without much issue. Paladins don't have the DPS or self-healing to currently do it, though.

Its funny cuz its true.
And even so they wanna nerf the selfhealing.
The OP mentioned others could solo it, DKs selfhealing are fine i guess?

Even so i dont really care for the WoG change that much, i even kinda like it.
Treck

Postby Sarutankah » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Playing both a dk and paladin in equal gear on ptr we are well outclassed for soloing. Being balanced around seal of insight I guess whereas a dk gets great dps while popping his heal pally is weak.

Don't matter so much for tanking but I think it would be a good idea to keep a dk burning to 85 in the background if you want some redundancy for soloing as things are up and down for paladins too often.
Sarutankah

Postby Fetzie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Sarutankah wrote:Playing both a dk and paladin in equal gear on ptr we are well outclassed for soloing. Being balanced around seal of insight I guess whereas a dk gets great dps while popping his heal pally is weak.

Don't matter so much for tanking but I think it would be a good idea to keep a dk burning to 85 in the background if you want some redundancy for soloing as things are up and down for paladins too often.

Apparently rogues are also pretty good at soloing stuff, a wealth of -damage cooldowns and regenerating 3000 health per second from recuperate make for an impressive arsenal combined with high dps. Shame I want the stuff on my paladin though isn't it :<
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Newsom » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:17 pm

What fucks us over is our inability to equip the legendary staff really. It provides a neat aura that prevents you from being constantly CC'd by the advisors.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Izaac » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:19 am

Rogues are soloing him now, apparently...
Izaac

Postby Era » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:31 am

Hmm, rogues are soloing him? Better give them a legendary so they don't feel sad.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Newsom » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 am

You can easily two man him, however. I'm doing it every week with a mage. Just make sure one of you line of sights his mind control.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Izaac » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:43 am

Alright, so I've seen several videos of ret paladins soloing kael on youtube. I've pretty much never been ret, but this last week I put together a set from the new dungeons and justice points in order to try it out.

After a few attempts I've pretty much got it down through phase 3, but once I'm fighting kael I start taking a lot more damage and die. It isn't even really the pyroblasts that give me so much trouble; unless I'm disoriented it isn't that hard to dps down his shield and kick him. The 10 disorient combined with the constant fireballs and occasional flamestrike is what really seems to get me.

I try to interrupt the fireballs as much as possible, as well as seal insight and use WoG whenever I can, but i still am having difficulties staying afloat. I suppose a part of it is that I'm terrible at ret.

If anyone else has tried this, do you have any tips on making it through phase 4? It defiantly seems doable, if a bit tricky. This week I plan on experimenting with prismatic elixir and a few spec adjustments, as well as working on being not-as-awful at ret.
Izaac

Postby d07.RiV » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:34 pm

I've made one of the earier videos (http://youtu.be/BhwzMEvbc1I), I've explained most things in there.
Are you using the legendaries? The mace is a must for reducing fire damage by 50% - just equip it before WoG'ing.
d07.RiV

Postby Kelaan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Wow, wow. Very nice! Thanks for the guide.
Kelaan

Postby Izaac » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:10 pm

Just did it! Yay!

Using the legendarys helped, I made a few macros for quick access.

Mount didn't drop, but that's what next week is for.
Izaac

Return to General Strats