Remove Advertisements

Help me Help my MT

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Help me Help my MT

Postby keepoffgrass » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:00 pm

Alright, so I'm a Raider in a HM raiding guild and our Prot Pally who is our MT is just getting crushed. I don't want to approach her with my problem until I have a solution for her. I had this site recommended to me and am hoping you can help me help her. I have no idea what she's doing wrong or how to fix it. Gear ? Rotation ? Spec ? Just tell me whats wrong and I'll relay the info. It's unfortunate that I have to do this but I don't see any other way that will avoid drama at this point. Below is her Armory and WoL Links. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks !!!

She does tank adds in phase 3 of Nefarion so that will skew the amount of blocks in that particular fight. Keep that in mind.

Armory:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/arygos/valianaa/simple
WoL's:
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-c0zuu6zwh1d1xcv0/details/15/
keepoffgrass

Re: Help me Help my MT

Postby blakk » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:00 am

they are in a healing set of gear.
blakk

Postby keepoffgrass » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:08 am

Unfortunately I can't tell her to stay in her tank set when she logs off. I'm sure she will more often then not though. She may have just been toying around with her OS. Sorry bout that !
keepoffgrass

Postby Linkie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:38 am

While I can't see her gear, I can still see that her spec is not the spec most people consider ideal.

This is the spec most people use today, although some people take a point from Grand Crusader and put it into Reckoning.

There's a couple of different reasons for this. Mostly that the only useful talent in Holy is Last Word, but it's still not all that great, and the points you have to spend to get it is pretty much useless. As such, the retribution talents provide better survival, threat and utility. Crusade and Rule of Law provides good threat (which isn't really needed, but it's better than other things), Improved Judgement provides some extra range on your judgement which is nice for the pull/picking up adds. Lastly you have Pursuit of Justice. This talent is pretty great for paladins since we don't have any movement abilities. This means that the extra 15% (7% more than the boot enchant) can be pretty important to us. Also you get to put mastery on your boots.

The choices she have taken are not very good. Seals of the Pure provides less threat than both Crusade and Rule of Law due to the low damage on tanking weapons. The haste from Jugdements of the Pure gives us pretty much nothing, again, due to our low weapon damage. The extra critical chance on jugdement from Arbiter of the Light is also a very very small damage/threat increase.
Linkie

Postby Cascadian » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Maybe she has already bought everything for the other two specs.
But I noticed that the healer relic is 700 valor points. And her two specs are Retribution and Protection.

Her record of raiding is impressive with solid performance on a lot of raids.

Without being able to see her tank gear, my guess is that she probably knows her stuff.

If she is "getting crushed" it might just be because heroic raids are actually hard.
I would agree with Linkie that her choice of talents are not ideal.

I also go with 0/31/10.
If Theck does it, I know I don't have to redo the math.

The other Pally Tank that I model my toon on is Paragon's Lazeil. 0/31/10

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/l ... l/advanced

Those guys are all reforging, gemming and enchanting for pure Mastery/Parry/Dodge.
I do also and it works for me.
I take 30% less damage than the warrior tanks in my guild who stack Stamina and Expertise.
That is 30% less healing on me that the healers can focus elsewhere.
Cascadian

Postby keepoffgrass » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:17 am

She's not just getting crushed as a result of the content being hard. As it is now on most fights we need to have 3 healers on her at all times or she drops like a rock. I see that she has 6 pure stamina gems which I'm not positive but don't believe are the correct ones to use. Could it really be just her spec ? Her tank gear is on in the armory now.
keepoffgrass

Postby Digren » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:43 am

She's using pure stamina and pure mastery gems instead of puissant (combo) gems. It's an equally valid strategy, and probably a better one for jewelcrafters or on servers where the pure gems are cheaper.

There are a few flaws, namely that she's enhancing for expertise in several places. You would clearly prefer her to live over her making more threat, so she should adjust that. Also, she's using the block value meta instead of the armor meta, but her combat table coverage isn't high enough to make the block value meta as good or better.

Speaking of CTC, she's at around 77%. I would expect someone with her gear to be higher. Given that gemming is fine, this is due to her dual stamina trinkets. I prefer a mastery / stamina trinket combo and suggest she do the same.

She's chosen to get the tier set for the four-piece bonus. Okay. Does she really use Guardian of Ancient Kings a lot? Because if so, this is fine. However, the log shows that she got just 0.6% of her healing from Light of the Ancient Kings. Was this 0.6% exactly what she needed to avoid a wipe? Was the extra 50% duration necessary? If not, she should have skipped some of those tier pieces to get better non-tier gear, which is better all the rest of the time.
Digren

Postby Gab » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:39 pm

On her gloves she has expertise enchanted, but there is a mastery option available. She is also reforging parry/dodge to hit/expertise and she isn't reforging hit/expertise into mastery/dodge/parry... In addition she is gemming for expertise. A minor gripe is her choice of which pieces to use for 4 pcs. If I decide to go with 4 pc I will be using shoulders not the helm. There are some pretty strong heroic helm choices, but not so much with shoulders.

It looks like from a quick glance she has 650 hit rating and 140 expertise rating. She won't be able to get rid of all of that hit/expertise but should be able to get rid of most of it which would net her around (again purely off the top of my head) 5 percent additional CTC, most of which would be coming from dodge/parry. This is pretty significant.

If she is having problems with threat then speccing "correctly", RoL vs AotL and JotP, would help plus she would be able to pick up Imp Judgment and PoJ. Others have already mentioned the more conventional 0/31/10 spec. Threat really shouldn't be an issue anyway, unless it's the first 30 seconds of the fight.

TLDR: There are definitely some significant improvements that could be made to her spec, reforging, gemming, and enchanting.
Gab

Postby Cascadian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:24 pm

It looks like she has already changed it. The gloves are now Mastery enchanted.
Some of the earlier comments are no longer valid, so I guess someone in your guild suggested changes over the weekend.

Here are my only criticisms based on looking at it on 3/21.

1) Legs should have Parry reforged into Mastery.
2) She is using two DPS trinkets (Heart of Rage and Crushing Weight) on her otherwise Tank set. Instead she should be using Symbiotic Worm (Magmaw) and Vial of Stolen Memories (Valiona). I am sure she has them with the number of normal raid kills on her record.
3) Her weapon should have the Windwalk enchant and she should be using the Maloriak Mace of Acrid Death. Soul Blade has Hit on it. Mace of Acrid Death is pure Parry/Mastery. Windwalk enchant gives an incredible Dodge bonus and speed boost.
4) She changed her talent tree and is much closer to the ideal now. She just needs to drop 2 points in Seals of the Pure and instead put those into Pursuit of Justice.
Cascadian

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice