Remove Advertisements

Nook Color

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Nook Color

Postby Melathys » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:14 pm

knaughty wrote:
Melathys wrote:It basically turns it into a xoom or ipad with no applications and crappy battery life!


FIXT!

If you want a tablet, buy an iPad. If you want a cheap toy shaped like an iPad, buy an etch-a-sketch. I'm sure there's a Linux port by now.

I can't understand why people even consider the Xoom... Costs more, no apps, worse battery.



considering I was talking about the nook color, not fixt.

I've been running my nook color now for about 3 days, and its still not dead yet. the price is right at $200, and then a few mins of your time to burn an image to an SD card and you have a full fledged tablet with full access to the android market. There is no chance at all of bricking the nook, as it boots off the sd card by default. so if you mess it up, just burn a new image and try again.

Does the nook color compare to the ipad, no, but at half the price, I'm more than happy with it (I also like the size better, but thats me). Sure, its missing cameras, and gps, and 3g, but I'm perfectly happy with that, I have those things on my phone, I don't need them on a tablet (so now I'm not spending money on them, or wasting battery life on them)...besides, I can wirelessly tether my phone's 3g to the nook.

but, xoom vs ipad? yea, ipad is a better product, I won't deny that. but once you have an android device, one thing to consider. when you buy an app, its yours to put onto as many devices as you register with your account. ie, all the apps I've bought for my droid, I don't have to buy again to put on my nook, I just go download it again and keep rolling.
Image
User avatar
Melathys
 
Posts: 1908
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:08 pm

Re: Nook Color

Postby knaughty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:45 pm

Melathys wrote:but, xoom vs ipad? yea, ipad is a better product, I won't deny that. but once you have an android device, one thing to consider. when you buy an app, its yours to put onto as many devices as you register with your account. ie, all the apps I've bought for my droid, I don't have to buy again to put on my nook, I just go download it again and keep rolling.


Same with iOS apps. You buy them once, and can load them on as many devices as you like. (Same with iTunes music as well - you're allowed as many iPods as you like, no limit). So this isn't an advantage to Android, it's an equivalent.

Your iTunes account can only be linked with five computers at a time, but you can remove the association when you switch computers. If you forget/use them all up/whatever, you can reset your account to "no computers authorised" and start over.

But yeah, own 30 iPads? You only need one copy of the app.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
User avatar
knaughty
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Re: Nook Color

Postby knaughty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:56 pm

Melathys wrote:I've been running my nook color now for about 3 days, and its still not dead yet. the price is right at $200, and then a few mins of your time to burn an image to an SD card and you have a full fledged tablet with full access to the android market. There is no chance at all of bricking the nook, as it boots off the sd card by default. so if you mess it up, just burn a new image and try again.

Does the nook color compare to the ipad, no, but at half the price, I'm more than happy with it (I also like the size better, but thats me). Sure, its missing cameras, and gps, and 3g, but I'm perfectly happy with that, I have those things on my phone, I don't need them on a tablet (so now I'm not spending money on them, or wasting battery life on them)


I highlighted a couple of things I thought were really good points. I assumed you had to jailbreak the device - if "boots off SD card" is a feature, then more power to you, go wild.

If "half the price, less features, but does have the ones I want" meets your criteria, also a good reason.

And size is a killer - Apple have more or less stated that they're not doing anything sized between an iPhone and a iPad any time soon, so if you want a 7" device, look elsewhere.

Melathys wrote:I can wirelessly tether my phone's 3g to the nook.


iPad is available without 3G if you have a hotspot capable phone (or don't need mobile Internet). My iPhone 4 gets better 3G reception than my iPad 1, so next iPad I'll probably just buy a Wifi one and tether iPad to my phone. Saves me $20 / month for a second SIM as well.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
User avatar
knaughty
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Re: Nook Color

Postby Dane » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:50 pm

I got one of these for Christmas from the in-laws...they had my wife find out if I'd rather get the Nook or the Kindle...sure glad the reviews pushed me to the Nook! I didn't even know at the time it COULD be rooted...but a few weeks ago, I read up on it.

Anyway, bottom line:
Have one.
Love it.
Plan to root it.
Hope to love it even more.

If you're any level of reader...it's a great gadget, even if you don't root it. The screen is beautiful, and the browser has thus far been adequate. Most of all though, I love the feel...it just fits my hands VERY comfortably.

I also use my phone as a mobile hotspot all the time, and have internet on a decent sized screen anywhere I go...I totally should have posted this FROM the Nook, instead of my phone, but I think pulling it out at work (it's in my leather folder I carry with me, on a shelf above my desk) might draw some unwanted attention.
Image
Image
Dane
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:16 pm

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest