How can I explain this to make them understand?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

How can I explain this to make them understand?

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:36 pm

I have a tank friend, who swears that Mastery is not good, and is attempting to gear for avoidance.

His character sheet stats:

13.39% Dodge
13.52% parry
36.37% block
=63.28% CTC (+5% miss)

He contends that this is the appropriate way to gear because his avoidance is higher than mine, and as such he is avoiding more hits.

For the record, I'm at

10.98% Dodge
11.19% Parry
54.83% Block
=77% CTC (+5% miss)

I tried to explain that while he does avoid more full hits than me, I take less damage over the course of a fight because I have 18.46% higher chance to take 40% less damage, while he has a 4.74% higher chance to avoid the damage all together.

I have tried to come at it from a logical mathematical approach. I need a way to approach it in "plain english". He isn't a guildy, so I can't take him on a run and "prove it".

Someone able to give me an "easy" way to explain this?
Shoju

Re: How can I explain this to make them understand?

Postby Athos » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:04 pm

I can't think of a better way to explain it than laying out the facts like you did.

Perhaps you could use the "healing is less spikey for your healers" approach.
Athos

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Oooh. I didn't think about that. I will give that a shot.
Shoju

Postby bldavis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:13 pm

Athos wrote:I can't think of a better way to explain it than laying out the facts like you did.

Perhaps you could use the "healing is less spikey for your healers" approach.

this

i think you should do runs in a reg dungeon with a fairly standard T&S boss (i just cant think of any right off the top of my head)
then show the differences of damage taken from recount or w/e meter you use

or you could send him here....
i promise we will play nice..ish

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Shoju wrote:I have a tank friend, who swears that Mastery is not good, and is attempting to gear for avoidance.

His character sheet stats:

13.39% Dodge
13.52% parry
36.37% block
=63.28% CTC (+5% miss)

He contends that this is the appropriate way to gear because his avoidance is higher than mine, and as such he is avoiding more hits.

For the record, I'm at

10.98% Dodge
11.19% Parry
54.83% Block
=77% CTC (+5% miss)

I tried to explain that while he does avoid more full hits than me, I take less damage over the course of a fight because I have 18.46% higher chance to take 40% less damage, while he has a 4.74% higher chance to avoid the damage all together.

I have tried to come at it from a logical mathematical approach. I need a way to approach it in "plain english". He isn't a guildy, so I can't take him on a run and "prove it".

Someone able to give me an "easy" way to explain this?

I find reducing everything to samples of 100 when explaining all things percentage-related to non-mathematical types is usually pretty effective. Even if you just present some quick napkin math it should be quite obvious to him.

Hey, buddy, if you take 100 hits from a mob, and I take 100 hits from a mob, and the mob hits for 100 damage per hit...
Your damage: 32 hits avoided, 36 hits blocked (60 damage/ea), 32 unblocked hits (100 damage/ea) = 5360 damage taken
My damage: 27 hits avoided, 55 hits blocked, 18 unblocked hits = 5100 damage taken
baleogthefierce

Postby Koatanga » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Was he around back in the days when we could be crit? Hit is simply the new crit. Becoming uncrittable is still Job 1.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Sadly, he was, but he was a warrior. I will come at him with the 100's napkin math, and the Healer piece. See if he can understand that.
Shoju

Postby Hokahey » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:39 am

Shoju wrote:Sadly, he was, but he was a warrior. I will come at him with the 100's napkin math, and the Healer piece. See if he can understand that.

I don't follow why playing a Warrior at that time would make a difference. Warriors also had to meet minimum levels of defense skill to be uncrittable up until 4.0, just like Paladins. Were you thinking "unhittable"/"block-capped", which was generally somewhere between impractical and completely pointless for Warriors until 4.0?
Hokahey

Postby Digren » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Walk him through the MDR math (you will take less total damage than him).

Walk him through the CTC math (you will have fewer spikes than him).

Unfriend him.
Digren

Postby Shoju » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Hokahey wrote:I don't follow why playing a Warrior at that time would make a difference. Warriors also had to meet minimum levels of defense skill to be uncrittable up until 4.0, just like Paladins. Were you thinking "unhittable"/"block-capped", which was generally somewhere between impractical and completely pointless for Warriors until 4.0?

Yes, they needed defense, but they didn't need 102.4 like we did, since they just spammed shield block all day long. He looks at 102.4 as an "old outdated Paladin number".

Digren wrote:Walk him through the MDR math (you will take less total damage than him).

Walk him through the CTC math (you will have fewer spikes than him).

Unfriend him.

I walked him through it last night, He is starting to come around to it. I can't unfriend him sadly. He is a childhood friend, and at times I REALLY wish he wouldn't have found me online. He comes at tanking from what seems like (and I could be wrong) such a "warrior" mentality, that he struggles with Paladin ideas. It wasn't until I showed him the math last night, and the way mastery works, that he understood why I wear the Signet of the Elder Council and Tia's Grace.
Shoju

Postby Dantriges » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Shoju wrote:Sadly, he was, but he was a warrior. I will come at him with the 100's napkin math, and the Healer piece. See if he can understand that.

I don't follow why playing a Warrior at that time would make a difference. Warriors also had to meet minimum levels of defense skill to be uncrittable up until 4.0, just like Paladins. Were you thinking "unhittable"/"block-capped", which was generally somewhere between impractical and completely pointless for Warriors until 4.0?

Yeah, I had quite a few discussions about that topic during BC.

It more or less goes like this:
Warriors can become crush immune because of shieldblock for two hits. Paladins can´t become crush immune, because they don´t have sheld block.
Shield block= makes tank crush immune.

Yeah total crap and shows a big lack of knowledge about tanking mechanics.
Ah well I remember my fellow co tank during a planning session for tanking flames on Illidan ask me why I add up the numbers. Doesn´t the game check them separately. First miss, then check if dodged, then parry then block. :lol: Well, our guild lead valued him more for his video skills. Of course he cut the video like he was the hero saving the day.

So yeah it doesn´t surprise me at alll that old school warriors don´t know what the combat table actually is. Many do, some don´t.
So seems your friend finally got it. Perhaps an even easier explanation. 3 times out of 10 he gets hit in the face. You got hit only two times on your nose, and you have your arms up one more time then him. Then ask him if he likes getting his nose punched.

Or he has to pay more and more to full evade, block stuff is cheaper and you don´t get taxed the more you have.
Dantriges

Postby Koatanga » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Just to clarify, is he a warrior now or a paladin? Our mastery mechanics are quite different.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 pm

He is in fact a Paladin now. Guild he is in needed more healers than dps, so he is main spec prot, off spec holy, instead of main spec prot off spec arms.
Shoju

Postby sherck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:11 am

Damn it, Shoju! Stop talking about me on this boar.......

Oh, wait. You said it was someone from outside the guild?

Whooooo, I just about threw a sissy-fit. Your life is now your own, again!

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Shoju » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:37 am

sherck wrote:Damn it, Shoju! Stop talking about me on this boar.......

Oh, wait. You said it was someone from outside the guild?

Whooooo, I just about threw a sissy-fit. Your life is now your own, again!

Cheers,

Yeah, not you. I know you listen. After I talked to him and got him to understand, we shared parses from raiding this week, as we both did halfus. The Damage taken is astoundingly different.

Our fight was 4:14.
I took 1665014 damage.

His fight was 4:29.
He took 2125031 damage.

Notable differences.

He did eat 3 more fireballs than I did.
He actually used Div Prot 2 more times than me. (I only hit it once)
I used AD once. He didn't.

We both cleared our own first stack of debuffs. After showing that, and letting him digest the numbers on our parse, I think I have finally gotten through to him.
Shoju

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice