japan tsunami

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: japan tsunami

Postby cerwillis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:01 am

Rachmaninoff wrote:
Aurelie wrote:I read that there's a plume of radioactive material heading across the Pacific.

In its current state, the steam blowing east from Japan across the pacific is less dangerous than living in Denver for a year.

wat?

otherwise good info, excellent explanation

Living at high altitudes exposes you to more naturally? occurring radiation in the atmosphere than being at sea level. Denver was used because it is ~5k ft in elevation. Hence the "Mile High City" designation.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Candiru » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:47 am

I like the graphs showing the current radiation levels in Tokyo are 1/5 of those from eating a banana once a week. While there *is* a leak, its currently rather low and not a threat to anything at the moment, Obviously need to be monitored though.
Candiru

Postby masterpoobaa » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:44 pm

So does that mean im getting FIVE TIMES the radiation dose EACH DAY from my banana intake?!?!

OH NOEZ. hehe
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Levantine » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:30 am

Not gunna lie, the shit I'm reading on Facebook from some Americans is making me disgusted with the human race.
Levantine

Postby Blackharon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:21 am

Levantine wrote:Not gunna lie, the shit I'm reading on Facebook is making me disgusted with the human race.

Not just Americans
The Cat's out of the bag!
Pickpawcket for iPhone and iPad
http://www.pickpawcket.com
Blackharon

Postby mew » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:53 am

What kind of stuff? I haven't heard anything too terrible, only the standard "God is punishing Japan".
ImageImage
mew

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:54 am

mew wrote:What kind of stuff? I haven't heard anything too terrible, only the standard "God is punishing Japan".

"God remembers Pearl Harbor and is punishing Japan because of it" is the thing I was hearing.

Edit: And this guy was fired from his job for making crass jokes about Japan. http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00039020.html
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:59 am

Nikachelle wrote:
mew wrote:What kind of stuff? I haven't heard anything too terrible, only the standard "God is punishing Japan".

"God remembers Pearl Harbor and is punishing Japan because of it" is the thing I was hearing.

Edit: And this guy was fired from his job for making crass jokes about Japan. http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00039020.html

Those jokes made me lol a little bit.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Masumi » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:52 pm

people that make fun of japan, don't know how bad it feels to not know if their love ones are doing fine. I wish their love ones were killed, I heard someone make a joke. I felt like picking up the first metal pole I could find and beat him with it until he stopped laughing.
Want to know how I am currently feeling? listen to the music in this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdNWYUMZpo
Masumi

Postby laterna » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:37 pm

I've had this long discussion multiple times. Loads of time I just see people after any disaster going "Oh we must help, lets give 5 euro, lets post this link on facebook etc"

This just makes so bloody irritated! Its not the actual "tragedy" that is bad, but the human mind realising there's a sudden big change in the world that is causing the "niceness" of people. People in japan are suffering right now. 2 weeks ago they weren't suffering. However people in africa have been suffering for the better part of a century from diseases, hunger and so many things which if they had the suddent media air-time that the japan earthquake is having, would shock you dead. However you don't care about it because its considered the norm. If people were intentionally "nice" and "caring" they would devote all of their money in helping easy people's burden not suddenly come out and help for a moment, then go on not giving a damn about it.

Masumi I have no qualms with you, and my apologies if this offends you, but its not directed to you, more to the people that suddenly appear as "intrested" and "super-caring"

How does japan's issues qualify for more "charity" over an african village with no water, medicine or food? Also, where do you draw the charity line? 5 bucks? 10 bucks? 15 bucks? is it "how much you can spare" type of deal? Can you not spare 100 bucks? Why stop there?

Please don't take my words badly. I'm just a person that is extremely skeptical of things around him.

Also, I agree, anyone who makes fun of this does deserve to have a plane fall on his head. However, I still never give any money to charity, and I still bash people who all of a sudden become the best charity folks in facebook, people who only do it to make themselves feel good and to appear good in the eyes of others.

/rant
laterna

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:40 pm

I think people telling jokes about disasters like this are really just revealing their own bigotry and small-mindedness.

I mean the casalty count could be like 20,000 at the end of the day. Imagine, wherever you live, whatever the area would be where 20,000 or so people live, if you were to wake up one morning and everybody was dead. How would you feel about someone lobbing cheap ones at the situation.

Hearing that 450,000 where living in shelters at least leads me to believe that the casualty count won't be nearly as bad as the Indonesia tsunami. Still, that was a lot of Japanese coastline devastated, and Japan is fairly densely populated.

On the reactor front, the longer they can go putting water on them and cooling them without a full meltdown, the less likely they are to melt through to groundwater, or even out of primary containment. And on that front they are supposed to be restoring auxiliary power as we speak, so in another day or so the reactors could be reasonably stable. As long as the primary containment is not breached, then things shouldn't get too bad.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby bldavis » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:53 pm

20k dead would be like waking up one morning and everyone is dead...at least for me
i live in a city with 17k ppl in it

i honestly think anyone who makes fun of human tragedy should be taken to where that tragedy is and left

be it natural disasters like in japan right now, or a nuclear plant malfunction (Japan, CHernobyl, Three Mile Island) or even a terrorist attack (9/11, madrid train bombings...etc those are the ones i can think of right off the top of my head)

ppl like that just make me sick

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:00 pm

Hrobertgar wrote:I think people telling jokes about disasters like this are really just revealing their own bigotry and small-mindedness.

Or they're just trying to make someone laugh.

people that make fun of japan, don't know how bad it feels to not know if their love ones are doing fine

I don't know. I've had family in combat situations and had a cousin killed in action in Afghanistan, but I'm not going to get butthurt over someone making a joke about the wars.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Masumi » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Flex wrote:
Hrobertgar wrote:I think people telling jokes about disasters like this are really just revealing their own bigotry and small-mindedness.

Or they're just trying to make someone laugh.

people that make fun of japan, don't know how bad it feels to not know if their love ones are doing fine

I don't know. I've had family in combat situations and had a cousin killed in action in Afghanistan, but I'm not going to get butthurt over someone making a joke about the wars.

joking about other people's expense is wrong no matter how you put it, you have to be heartless to think other's tragedy as funny. I am sure your cousin would be proud of you not caring that they make fun of what he died for? you are no better than that trash laughing at other people's suffering.
Want to know how I am currently feeling? listen to the music in this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdNWYUMZpo
Masumi

Postby Flex » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Masumi wrote:joking about other people's expense is wrong no matter how you put it, you have to be heartless to think other's tragedy as funny. I am sure your cousin would be proud of you not caring that they make fun of what he died for? you are no better than that trash laughing at other people's suffering.

Except it isn't that cut and dry. Humor is used for a great many things and tragedy is always countered with humor. You may not like shock humor but that doesn't mean they're wrong for doing it.

Additionally there is a huge difference between not caring and not getting butthurt/annoyed/wanting someone killed for the jokes they make.

I'll take my complete indifference towards comments that people I don't know/care about make about things that affect me over getting so worked up over it that I wish people death any day of the week.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum