Remove Advertisements

Nook Color

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Nook Color

Postby Melathys » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:57 pm

anyone else have one and hacked it? I've got mine running phiremod.

pretty neat getting a real tablet for $200, instead of $500+ for ipads and xooms. Some people try to say "yea, but its cheap and flimsy, unlike ipad"...well, those people haven't actually seen a nook color. I think of it this way. There's no money wasted on cameras, 3g, gps, vibration etc. Instead, you get a solid device with a great screen (the screen is very crisp and responsive)
Melathys

Re: Nook Color

Postby Kelaan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:51 am

I have one, but have not rooted it yet. What do you use it for? Putside of reading stuff, I'm having a hard time thinking of what I can/should use it for.
Kelaan

Postby Melathys » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:04 pm

It basically turns it into a xoom or ipad. So anything you want to do on those, but smaller and much cheaper. (Or a bigger droid, without the phone)

They've even got honeycomb running on it, which so far only the xoom has been released with.
Melathys

Postby Kelaan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Aside from robot unicorn attack (if it played flash, sadly) or Angry birds, I can't think of what I'd use it for, though. I don't have a smartphone, and don't know what I'd do with it if I took it out of the house.
Kelaan

Postby fafhrd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:51 pm

It should play flash fine once you've rooted and flashed (heh) in a more recent ROM Kelaan.

If it had 3G and GPS I'd point out all the conveniences of a smartphone, namely access to all of the internet, google maps, google goggles, irc, bittorrent, skype, google voice and various other webservices (does it have 2G/Edge connectivity though? Even that for interenetaccess would be pretty sweet). I find myself using my phone much more as a portable computer than for actually making/receiving phonecalls. Without those I can't really think of much I'd use it for though, since any place I have wifi I generally have a desktop too. You can still use it to watch movies, read books, play native games and run emulators for PS1, PS2, NES, SNES, SEGA, Gameboy and other games at least, I mostly would just use it for books. I've held off buying one since I mostly just use my phone since it's easier to carry and whip out.

Theoretically rooting should also get you better batterylife through more recent kernels and more control over underclocking, but I don't know how well that works out in practice, especially if you end up running more stuff on it after getting access to the market.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:06 pm

How well does it do video? Does it support wifi networking?

I bought an Inspiron Duo recently that I'm liking a great deal -- price point was good for a convertable tablet ($550), and it's powerful enough to play 1080i video files and runs WoW well enough to jump around in circles in org. It's a little heavy for extended reading in bed, but I don't mind the extra weight.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:00 am

Melathys wrote:It basically turns it into a xoom or ipad with no applications and crappy battery life!

FIXT!

If you want a tablet, buy an iPad. If you want a cheap toy shaped like an iPad, buy an etch-a-sketch. I'm sure there's a Linux port by now.

I can't understand why people even consider the Xoom... Costs more, no apps, worse battery.

Oh yeah! Flash!

Wait, wait.... 4G! Err... I have to ship you my tablet for a week... "soon" ?

Seriously, it's not a cult, people, it's simply the market talking.
  • Better OS
  • Better battery.
  • 1,000 times as many apps.
  • No Android malware...
  • Cheaper than the competitors

There's a reason Apple sold more iPad 2s in one day that Samsung sold Xooms in a month.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Levantine » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:59 am

Man, I'd forgotten how much of a macfag you were, Knaughty. Miss you, man.

For what it's worth, not all of us think Android is the devil and that the AppleOS is the best thing in the universe, but meh.
Levantine

Postby Dunkan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:23 am

knaughty wrote:If you want a tablet, buy an iPad. If you want a cheap toy shaped like an iPad, buy an etch-a-sketch. I'm sure there's a Linux port by now.

I can't understand why people even consider the Xoom... Costs more, no apps, worse battery.

Seriously, it's not a cult, people, it's simply the market talking.
  • Better OS
  • Better battery.
  • 1,000 times as many apps.
  • No Android malware...
  • Cheaper than the competitors

There's a reason Apple sold more iPad 2s in one day that Samsung sold Xooms in a month.

100% true.
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:10 am

I read the subject of this post as Nook Cooler. I was expectecting an amazing refreshment dispenser or something.. lol

so disapointed after re-reading subject title :(
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Kelaan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 am

fafhrd wrote:I find myself using my phone much more as a portable computer than for actually making/receiving phonecalls.... any place I have wifi I generally have a desktop too.... I mostly would just use it for books. I've held off buying one since I mostly just use my phone since it's easier to carry and whip out.

That's it for me, to. The only time the nook is more convenient than my PC is if I'm in bed (sleeping!) or on the couch (already watching netflix), or at someone else's house (no wifi). So, reading books it is.
Kelaan

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:33 am

What do you use your iPad for? I'm realize I'm probably not the target demographic for something like this, but I'm trying to figure out the actual utility of this device.

Also, obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtxqYoVfoTg
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:14 am

Levantine wrote:Man, I'd forgotten how much of a macfag you were, Knaughty. Miss you, man.

For what it's worth, not all of us think Android is the devil and that the AppleOS is the best thing in the universe, but meh.

yeah but that just makes you wrong.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Arnock » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:38 pm

Still don't understand the reasoning behind spending $500+ on a tablet over a 2-300 dollar netbook that can do so much more.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Arnock wrote:Still don't understand the reasoning behind spending $500+ on a tablet over a 2-300 dollar netbook that can do so much more.

having purchased and attempted to use for actual things a Dell Mini 10v in the past year, I can safely say that I disagree, purely on the merits of the hardware. Maybe the Mini 10v is a bad example, and there are netbooks out there with usable keyboards and touchpads? That aren't significantly more expensive? I don't know.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum