Remove Advertisements

The List: What can I solo as a level 80 prot pally?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: The List: What can I solo as a level 80 prot pally?

Postby Halshar » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:13 pm

The thing that makes soloing still a challenge is that although HP values have gone up, there hasn't been much increase in self-healing relative to level 80. Most bosses that would have killed you at level 80 will probably still kill you at 85 until better gear is obtained (Though there are exceptions).
Halshar

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:30 pm

"there hasn't been much increase in self-healing relative to level 80"

Sorry but I have to disagree here.

With the "usual suspects" buffs (Might, Drums of kings, +90 stam food and a +150 stam scroll), my health is now THREE times that it was at 80, Armor has increased some 8k. This alone vastly increases ones "time to live" value to begin with.

At 80 I was doing 12k WoG's, now they are 15-20k (seen the odd 33k Crit).
Gift of the Naruu (Draenei racial) healing for 10k a tick as it scales directly with total health.
Pots/elixirs/flasks more powerful.
Bandages improved.
Have the AoE 10sec Hot that ticks for close to 1k a sec.
Healing Seal scales with level from what I've seen.
Have the uber GoAK which we did not have at 80.
LoH now effectivly heals 150k+, not 50k.
And lastly, higher DPS. Higher DPS = boss dies quicker = less total damage to manage.

Just the massive health pool alone makes managing incomming damage far easier.
I not worried if my health falls below 50% as it will still take a long time for it to reach 0, and Ive got lots of tools available to fix the problem.

In the last mags fight my health hovered around 50-75% most of the time. I could have popped cooldowns to get it back to 100, but it just didnt feel at all necessary. WoG on 3 HP stacks was keeping me nice and steady.
Back at 80 when I had 55k health Mags was a challenge, especially when he was doing his AoE. I had to pop quite a few cooldowns to stay alive. My health regularly dipped into dangerous territory of sub 20%.

Another test: Attumen in kara. With NO healing done at all I came out of that fight with 80% health left.

This week I might try solo'ing some heroic LK bosses.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Njall » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:51 pm

Been soloing what I can in AQ40. Can't get past Falkriss the Undying. His adds and poison just kill me. Suggestions? Any one else have any advice/experiences to share?
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Khanakazi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:44 pm

hello all,

iv become somewhat bent on picking up the 3 legendary weapon achievement for my guild (ok theres some self interest in there too... :D ) and so far iv picked up thunderfury and sulfuras just by my own efforts. my questions for you all are as follows.

1. someone recently mentioned to me that they thought the bloods for shadowmourne were changed to drop in 10 man icc, this sounds like a total load to me but i wanted to check with people that probably know more than i do. is this this the case? because if so that would VASTLY simplify trying to get that finished (retarded RL split up the blood rolls so i only got ONE and then cata dropped and nobody runs ICC25 anymore >.<) because i could probably rope in 5-7 guildies and shorthand icc10 vs trying to get a large enough crew together for the 25 man.

2. warglaives are sexy, and they are just a simple drop chance. again the trouble becomes getting people together to reach them, thus bringing me to this thread. i recently did a very smooth 7 man with my guild and we downed everything, but with an eye towards the fact that i will undoubtedly be needing to run BT every week for the next few months id like to reduce the number of other people i need to bother to pull it off. beyond the first boss and his pissant antics with the impale and shield do you think it would be possible to solo or at most 2 or 3 man the rest of the instance? i never got to raid in BC so iv literally only been in BT 2 or 3 times at most so i dont have a very good gauge of what to expect beyond the one full clear. i was planning to do this on my frost/blood DK as my pally cannot use the glaives ( :x :cry: ) however given that condition i also dont care if both toons get saved to the same instance, so if it becomes problematic my pally is much better geared and can clear up to illidan and then i can switch.

the real choke points i can forsee would be the council and illidan himself (fire elementals in particular) do you think this is feasible or should i just offer cash rewards to my reliable guildies for their help once a week?

as always, thank you for your time and responses :)

if you are curious about the gear involved it would be on the following characters
pally
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... han/simple

DK
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... ndk/simple
Khanakazi

Postby Leuthas » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:59 am

I managed a solo on Teron Gorefiend and Supremus today. Neither was difficult - though I had to mix in some Ret gear for Teron, it's a bit of a DPS race, but nothing as bad as Sapphiron at level 80.

Njall wrote:Been soloing what I can in AQ40. Can't get past Falkriss the Undying. His adds and poison just kill me. Suggestions? Any one else have any advice/experiences to share?

Every time I threw my face at Fankriss it would seem like it was all about luck. It's been far too long since I raided that place at level, so I can't recall the spawn mechanics (in timing) of the worms. It would seem, what would tend to get me down is getting poorly timed teleport/stuns with the worms, thus I wouldn't be able to get them down.

I guess the best I can advise is to burst them down as if they had just stolen your cookies, but I'm also assuming you're already doing that. I don't think I've killed him since the Holy Power Patch(TM), not that I've tried.

I'm going to run into AQ40 and do it fast - see what happens.
*EDIT: My server is shut down for restarts, I'll have to get back to AQ40 after I do my rounds tomorrow.*

1. someone recently mentioned to me that they thought the bloods for shadowmourne were changed to drop in 10 man icc, this sounds like a total load to me but i wanted to check with people that probably know more than i do. is this this the case? because if so that would VASTLY simplify trying to get that finished (retarded RL split up the blood rolls so i only got ONE and then cata dropped and nobody runs ICC25 anymore >.<) because i could probably rope in 5-7 guildies and shorthand icc10 vs trying to get a large enough crew together for the 25 man.

2. warglaives are sexy, and they are just a simple drop chance. again the trouble becomes getting people together to reach them, thus bringing me to this thread. i recently did a very smooth 7 man with my guild and we downed everything, but with an eye towards the fact that i will undoubtedly be needing to run BT every week for the next few months id like to reduce the number of other people i need to bother to pull it off. beyond the first boss and his pissant antics with the impale and shield do you think it would be possible to solo or at most 2 or 3 man the rest of the instance? i never got to raid in BC so iv literally only been in BT 2 or 3 times at most so i dont have a very good gauge of what to expect beyond the one full clear. i was planning to do this on my frost/blood DK as my pally cannot use the glaives ( :x :cry: ) however given that condition i also dont care if both toons get saved to the same instance, so if it becomes problematic my pally is much better geared and can clear up to illidan and then i can switch.

the real choke points i can forsee would be the council and illidan himself (fire elementals in particular) do you think this is feasible or should i just offer cash rewards to my reliable guildies for their help once a week?

1. The bloods do not drop in ICC10.
2. Naj'entus is easily 2 manned. I think it may be possible to solo him, but I don't quite know his mechanics well enough as I never did level 70 progression. While his bubble will eventually fall off, he heals through the duration. I think it'd be possible to dps through the healing factor, but it'd take a very long time. The most significant problem I see in in the actual spikes - I don't know if they fade or just stay there, sticking you to the ground for all eternity.

Supremus, Teron Gorefiend and Shade of Akama are each soloable, however Akama is a trick, taking down his adds. The trash is probably harder than the boss, though.

Reliquary of Souls can be 2 manned, however you'll need a tank with around no less than 6k single target dps and a dps with no less than 18k.

I've been very close to 2 manning Bloodboil, it's a trick though. I'd say, like Reliquary, a tank with no less than 6k dps, but with a damage dealer who can pump out more than 20k. *EDIT: Thinking about it again, if you had a healer, I don't think it'd be a severe issue to 2 man Bloodboil.*

Unfortunately I can't say much about Shahraz and Council - though I think Council would be the most difficult to do with less than 5 people. Illidan shouldn't be a problem, in fact I believe he can be killed by a Protection Paladin solo. The only worry lies in the fire elementals, but with effort a tankadin might be able to burn them down before they set too much fire or get too angry due to distance from a glaive.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Leuthas » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:55 am

So I'll compile a list quick, as it doesn't seem the OP has been updated in some time.

(only listing those soloable right now, at 85, as Protection.)
Classic
[s]Molten Core
All.
Blackwing Lair
Broodlord Lashlayer
Firemaw
Flamegor
Nefarion
Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj
All.
Temple of Ahn'Qiraj
The Prophet Skeram
Bug Family (Yauj, Vem, Kri)
Battleguard Sartura
Fankriss the Unyielding
Princess Huhuran
The Burning Crusade
Heroic 5mans
All.
Karazhan
All.
Zul'Aman
All.
Magetheridon's Lair
Magtheridon.
Doomwalker/Doom Lord Kazzak
Doomwalker
Gruul's Lair
Gruul the Dragonsomething
Serpentshrine Cavern
Loethris the Blind
Black Temple
Supremus
Teron Gorefiend
Hyjal Summit
Sunwell Plateau
Wrath of the Lich King
Heroic 5 mans
I'll do this part soon
Obsidian Sanctum10
Sartharion (not including Shadron)
Naxxramas10
Noth, Heigan, Patchwerk, Grobbulus. (Sapphiron once we get ToC/ICC levels of avoidance)
Cataclysm
Heroic 5 mans
Baron Ashbury - SFK heroic
Lord Walden - SFK heroic
Corborus - Stonecore heroic (REALLY DAMN HARD)
Last edited by Leuthas on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Khanakazi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:18 pm

thank you for your input Leuthas, i missed the previous lockout due to weekend plans but im going to try and treat it like a standard 5 man and see how that goes (council, i am looking at you) nobody in my guild is close enough to 18k dps for me to warrant trying to severly short man it.

to elaborate on naj'entus though, when you are impaled it has a duration of 30 seconds.
Khanakazi

Postby Leuthas » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Khanakazi wrote:thank you for your input Leuthas, i missed the previous lockout due to weekend plans but im going to try and treat it like a standard 5 man and see how that goes (council, i am looking at you) nobody in my guild is close enough to 18k dps for me to warrant trying to severly short man it.

to elaborate on naj'entus though, when you are impaled it has a duration of 30 seconds.

Well in that case, I'm going to see about soloing him today.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Tiluvar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:37 pm

The problem with Naj isn't so much the impale, it's that he doesn't impale the tank.

No impale means no way to shatter his bubble. I only tried it once, but I don't see it working without some way to get him to impale something (and no, he doesn't try to impale Guardian of Ancient Kings ;P) maybe one of those trinkets that summons helpers?
Tiluvar

Postby Belloc » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:00 pm

I'm not aware that heroic Oculus is soloable... nor is Shadron, when working towards Sartharion.
Belloc

Postby Chicken » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:03 am

Tiluvar wrote:The problem with Naj isn't so much the impale, it's that he doesn't impale the tank.

No impale means no way to shatter his bubble. I only tried it once, but I don't see it working without some way to get him to impale something (and no, he doesn't try to impale Guardian of Ancient Kings ;P) maybe one of those trinkets that summons helpers?
He can only target actual players with the ability, and you can't free yourself from being impaled. Basically, the only way to truly solo him is to do enough damage that he'd die before using his water bubble, and that needs 44264 DPS. He's easy enough to two-man though, or you could farm up some Naj'entus spines with a friend beforehand and then solo him.

---

And yeah, heroic Oculus isn't soloable from what I've tested. There's an upper limit to how much the drakes scale with your gear, so the Cataclysm gear hasn't made them strong enough for it. I'm not sure if a Paladin could solo heroic Pit of Saron either: My warlock definitely can't because of the Overlord's Brand Scourgelord Tyrannus uses. I either end up killing my pet or healing him for too much, but a Paladin might be able to just stand there and take the hits while its up.
Chicken

Postby Leuthas » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:35 am

I'm afraid I've made some sweeping generalizations with the Wrath heroics. You're both right in regard to PoS an Occulus - an oversight on my end. With regard to Sartharion though, I intentionally overlooked the drakes. Shadron won't be soloable.

One the subject of Naj'entus however, it doesn't seem he'll be soloable any time soon. I can survive all of his mechanics without breaking a sweat, but unfortunately he'll heal all of the damage you've dealt, while he's bubbled. In fact he's such a soft-hitter I managed to run out of the instance once I realized I couldn't kill him.

I edited the list. Also in regard to WotLK heroics, I don't believe TOC5 is soloable either. I don't recall attempting it since I hit 85, but as memory serves, when attempting the jousting at 80, it didn't seem possible regardless of health pools, or reasonably obtainable levels of damage. Maybe I'm bad at jousting.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:31 pm

The jousting should be impossible to solo as well yes; the horses for it don't scale with your gear at all. The mobs for it also have a tendency to reset if you jump on a new horse when your current horse gets low on health. I've actually succesfully soloed the three waves of 'adds' of ToC before, but the bosses have too many health for it to be possible.
Chicken

Previous

Return to General Strats