Remove Advertisements

When's the home page going to be updated for Cata expansion?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: When's the home page going to be updated for Cata expansion?

Postby bldavis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:47 am

Sabindeus wrote:considering how little I just did I think thanks are a bit premature

did i say it was just the site changes?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:49 am

lol. Thanks.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby bldavis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:03 am

that actually applies to all the mods and guide authors

thank you all for all the hard work and long hours you guys and gals put in
i know it takes alot, and you dont get alot of appretiation for what you do.

and no i am not trying to brown nose.... :twisted:
*wipes nose*

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Thalia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Well, tbh, this site goes down regularly anyway, sometimes for the entire work day, so we're kind of used to downtime anyway.

i blame [snip] warcraftoverachiever

A site which is never updated either.

When Mike updates this site I'll tell him to take down the Overachiever link since I don't update it anymore, in fact, I'm going to give the site to my friend so she can update it cuz I have no interest in it anymore since I have not played WoW in a year. As for blaming overachiever for bringing the site down, that might have happened once due to a holiday event, but it gets no traffic so it's not the source. Our server, Dreamhost, loves to do a lot of updating which brings the site down, and that we have no control over.
Thalia

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Thalia wrote:When Mike updates this site I'll tell him to take down the Overachiever link since I don't update it anymore, in fact, I'm going to give the site to my friend so she can update it cuz I have no interest in it anymore since I have not played WoW in a year. As for blaming overachiever for bringing the site down, that might have happened once due to a holiday event, but it gets no traffic so it's not the source. Our server, Dreamhost, loves to do a lot of updating which brings the site down, and that we have no control over.

totally true, but overachiever actually has decent search rankings and refs from wowwiki so on holidays it gets a bunch of traffic. the PHP code that Aergis wrote to grab the achievement list from the armory has issues (which we've discussed), so it sits and spins and takes up cycles on the VPS that slow down maintankadin. If we got rid of that code it would have no impact.

But ASIDE from that, all the problems are dreamhost's fault.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Invisusira » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:17 pm

Sabindeus wrote:the PHP code that Aergis wrote to grab the achievement list from the armory has issues (which we've discussed), so it sits and spins and takes up cycles on the VPS that slow down maintankadin.

This, a thousand times over more than anything else. Sure, the site used to come down from time to time; it was never as anywhere near as bad as it has been since Overachiever.
Invisusira

Postby Aergis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:18 pm

Not to get too deep into it, but the general reason for the front page in the first place was to make the site more informative to non-regulars. Yes, you guys who spend lots of time here clearly don't need a front page. But to the person who might be new to paladin tanking our forums look pretty intimidating. It's great that every minuscule detail of threat analysis exists here, but there should also be a way to surface some of the more general info quickly.

For example, if I was to start playing again I would much rather prefer to see a more consolidated place with the most valuable info to get me going. It already exists in the guides written here but they are scattered through several forums and several posts. If you don't know where to look it can be a challenge to find. And searching (once re-implemented) isn't quite enough, especially with the way phpbb handles search results...

Now, an update.
I've already been working on this with several members for several months, however as is often the case with the random guy who says "hey, I'll help out!", nothing has come of it. I'm also a bit hesitant to muck about with it TOO much for a fear of losing all our data and everyone's post count going to 0... I was hoping to lean on someone a bit to help get it done, but everyone it seems is super busy.

However I recently quit my job to go fulltime freelance, and will have a lull in between projects coming up soon, probably this weekend. So if the site is down for a considerable amount of time, remember, you did ask for it!
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Aergis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Invisusira wrote:This, a thousand times over more than anything else. Sure, the site used to come down from time to time; it was never as anywhere near as bad as it has been since Overachiever.

Coincidentally that was the same time we moved to dreamhost...
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Invisusira » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 pm

Aergis wrote:Not to get too deep into it, but the general reason for the front page in the first place was to make the site more informative to non-regulars.

All well and good, but as we've been discussing in the mod thread, absolutely useless since we don't have someone specifically tasked with keeping it up to date. And when I have tried, the database chokes.

Aergis wrote:So if the site is down for a considerable amount of time, remember, you did ask for it!

If it means the server being back up and running (*cough*and clean of a site that hasn't been touched in a year*cough*) better than before, I'm all for it.
Invisusira

Postby Aergis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Invisusira wrote:All well and good, but as we've been discussing in the mod thread, absolutely useless since we don't have someone specifically tasked with keeping it up to date. And when I have tried, the database chokes.

I have been working on ideas for that. I don't want to get into it here but it should solve most of those problems. And it might not work at all and we end up back with just forums, so we'll see.

But yeah, the joomla shit is going out the window.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Eroslight » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Wow - with 3 little sentences I touched off a firestorm.

Thanks all for the feedback & discussion.

We (and yes I'm using the Royal We) all DEEPLY appreciate this site and all the people supporting it.

<3
Eroslight
Eroslight

Postby laterna » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 pm

I don't mean to be cheeky, but the home page just told me we have 10 members online and 1117 guests. :)

Just pointing out bugs, I still love the site, not bashing the admin/mods
laterna

Postby Aergis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:21 pm

laterna wrote:Just pointing out bugs, I still love the site, not bashing the admin/mods

Good, cause now you are one.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Shoju » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Man, I love this site too :)

And I don't bash mods either. I'm just the resident "The Sky is falling Paladin".
Shoju

Postby Aubade » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:13 pm

What does that make me? The resident, -_- paladin?
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

PreviousNext

Return to General