Remove Advertisements

[10] Heroic Maloriak

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Heroic Maloriak

Postby superworm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Saltycracker wrote:So here is my dirty little secret for 10man Maloriak. It seems he almost always casts his cone AOE after someone interrupts either arcane storm or release aberrations. During the red vial phase we only interrupt arcane storms. As soon as I see the first one cast, I pop Divine Guardian. Then I turn him 90 degrees to the left and wait for the next arcane storm. As soon as I see it, I pop Ardent Defender and Rebuke. 90% of the time, it works every time.

I also have taken Avenger's Shield off my bars for this fight because it was interrupting things it wasn't supposed to. You should have more than enough threat if you are keeping SoT up with Judgements during black phases.

I didn't pay much attention to this, but is the fire breath always cast on the tank, or on a random selected player? If it's always cast on the tank, then GS and AD can be really OP here.
superworm

Postby baleogthefierce » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:23 pm

superworm wrote:I didn't pay much attention to this, but is the fire breath always cast on the tank, or on a random selected player? If it's always cast on the tank, then GS and AD can be really OP here.

They fixed GS so that it's only 200% of the target's health absorbed (probably to combat this exact tactic), but yeah AD is great for this.
baleogthefierce

Postby Repartee » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:25 pm

Saltycracker wrote:...90% of the time, it works every time.

This phrase reminds me of the famous Yogi Berra baseball quote:
"Ninety percent of this game is mental, and the other half is physical"

:D
Repartee

Postby Gab » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:05 am

I have also noticed that when we interupted Abberations in the red phase we were more prone to getting a 3rd flame breath. As soon as we started letting the Abberations get cast in the red phase there was only one attempt where there was a 3rd flame breath. Not sure if this was just a coinicedence but with about 15 attempts I doubt it. If you are using PsiVen's suggestion of burning 3 Abberations down during black phases, this means you can let both Abberations go through in red phase and kick both of the Abberation casts in blue phase. Seemed to help a lot on our attempts last night. Anyone else noticed similar behavior?
Gab

Postby inthedrops » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:13 am

Gab wrote:I have also noticed that when we interupted Abberations in the red phase we were more prone to getting a 3rd flame breath. As soon as we started letting the Abberations get cast in the red phase there was only one attempt where there was a 3rd flame breath. Not sure if this was just a coinicedence but with about 15 attempts I doubt it. If you are using PsiVen's suggestion of burning 3 Abberations down during black phases, this means you can let both Abberations go through in red phase and kick both of the Abberation casts in blue phase. Seemed to help a lot on our attempts last night. Anyone else noticed similar behavior?

I honestly think it is a coincidence. We'd had plenty of attempts with a third breath and no red phase adds. Couldn't tell you the frequency, and I know you said "more prone" and not "eliminated" but I think it's just RNG.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:04 pm

When doing Maloriak this week, one of our DPS accidentally interrupted the Release Aberrations cast. We ended up with only six aberrations instead of 9, so to make up for it, we let out 3 aberrations during the second Vile Swill phase. I thought for sure we were done for, but it actually worked out great! I was able to tank the 3 aberrations and 5 swills no problem, and the aberrations did not buff the swills.
Kihra

Postby PsiVen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:57 am

Our sign of a 3rd fire breath has always been that the first one goes off early (before the timer says it should), but I think we've had a couple times where he just did an extra one right before switching phases.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Chunes » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:06 am

After a night of wipes, we could discern no reliable pattern for when maloriak uses his various abilities in a given phase.

On the pull, we would all race to interrupt his first arcane storm cast and I'd say we let it tick once in about 40 or so attempts. Of those 40 attempts, he would release adds probably 65% of the time, maybe 70%. Interestingly enough, the one time we all failed to kick the arcane storm cast and it actually damaged us, once interrupted he immediately released abberations, leading me to believe it's pure RNG as to whether or not he releases them.

Same story with his fire breath. Sometimes he did two, sometimes three. We always had something ready for the third one if it managed to get cast.
Chunes

Postby Belloc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 am

I've always gone off DBM timers for the third breath cast. If the CD remaining for the breath is less than the CD remaining for the phase change, expect a third breath. This has never failed me.
Belloc

Postby Ezelyn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:30 am

Someone said me that pets still protect from firebreath, is it true ? i've seen that was patched in 3.0.6

We are experiencing so much trouble on this fight :

offtank with his 6 abo and the raid under fire, its always a source of wipe on the third breath (the first on AM, second with disci priest, and the third no-cd...)
we are only 8 at this moment (1 with debuff and the offtank out of breath too)

Other question about this :
our tanks are a drood and a paladin, is it a good idea to have paladin being the offtank and the drood being the maintank ?

Thanks for the help and sorry for my english. Shakepseare must be spinning in his grave :oops:
Ezelyn

Postby Gab » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:34 am

Ezelyn wrote:Someone said me that pets still protect from firebreath, is it true ? i've seen that was patched in 3.0.6

offtank with his 6 abo and the raid under fire, its always a source of wipe on the third breath (the first on AM, second with disci priest, and the third no-cd...)

our tanks are a drood and a paladin, is it a good idea to have paladin being the offtank and the drood being the maintank ?

Thanks for the help and sorry for my english. Shakepseare must be spinning in his grave :oops:

We also use a Druid and a Paladin tank. With the Druid on the boss for the entire fight. The way we handled breaths is I use Divine Guardian for the first, our Priest uses Power Word Barrier for the second, and our holy Paladin uses Aura Mastery for the third.

I have also heard that a Paladin tank can use Ardent Defender and face away from the raid to "soak" one of the breaths, although we did not employ this method.
Gab

Postby Belloc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:05 am

Ezelyn wrote:Someone said me that pets still protect from firebreath, is it true ? i've seen that was patched in 3.0.6

I see no mention of any changes regarding using pets to help soak the fire breath damage. As far as I'm aware, it still helps.
Belloc

Postby PsiVen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:53 am

Even with 8 people soaking and no cooldown to use, the third breath shouldn't kill you unless there's a tick of Arcane Storm getting off. Everyone should be topped off just in case there is an extra breath. We routinely get a 3rd breath with no CDs, and the only problem is if I'm dumb enough to stand in it with 6 adds and no cooldowns.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Arianne » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:22 pm

I don't think you should be consistently getting a 3rd breath? Generally this means that you're interrupting too many Release Aberrations casts or just being very unlucky?
Arianne

Postby Vort » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:59 pm

The third breath is a bit of RNG as to whether he casts it or not.

Timers are not reliable for this either, we've had Mal cast it immediately before any other casts and BEFORE the timer expires. On the other end of the spectrum we use AD to soak the second Breath and I've had it run out on some attempts just because of her refusal to cast the damn thing.
Ilyashattack wrote:best ret pally, best prot pally, best jewish paladin, ugliest blood elf haircut person

Gárrosh wrote:You have rung a bell which cannot be unrung. Gladiator Astral and The Scum Cleave are an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression. Can you stop an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression? No you can't it's unstoppable.
Vort

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)