Feedback wanted on theorycrafting site

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Feedback wanted on theorycrafting site

Postby Spectrum » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:31 am

Hey all. Been quite a while since I visited this forum. I got pulled into doing resto shaman duties for a group after my old one fell apart and my pally is still sitting at 80 in T9 gear. However, I'm working on something for which I could use your input. I remember a lot of good discussion on this forum, so I thought you guys would be good ones to ask.

CasualAddict

I'm trying to put together a collection of "on-line spreadsheets". Basically a site where I can put all those various spreadsheets and analysis on-line in one place. Sort of a one-stop-shop for theory-crafting numbers. Right now it's just a resto shaman calculator, but if I can get some decent feedback and interest I can spend some time doing spreadsheets for other classes (like tankadins). I'm working on being able to run sims in the vein of SimCraft and EnhSim as well.

I'm also curious if there are any sites you already use for similar purposes (gotta know what my competition is).

If you guys wouldn't mind, please take a look and tell me what you think. Oh, and I'm not actually sure that the feedback form is working for anyone but me, so if you'd please leave some feedback (even if it's just a test) please do. You can also email me at {my forum username}@casualaddict.com

Happy Tanking.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Re: Feedback wanted on theorycrafting site

Postby bldavis » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:01 am

really the only one like this i know of for a specific class is femaledwarf.com for hunters

there is always maxdps.com, but ya ....

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby thatguy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:26 pm

Redcape's spreadsheet for ret dps is one that many turn to for tweaking gear but it's an excel spreadsheet so maybe you can work with him to implement it into an online thing.
thatguy

Postby thegreatheed » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:24 pm

doesn't elitist jerks already have all this info?
thegreatheed

Postby Spectrum » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:26 am

They have some of the info. The idea is to make the sort of spread-sheet part of it on-line. I think someone might have posted an Excel spreadsheet, but who knows how updated that will be in the future. I'd like to have an on-line place where you can go, pull in your character from the armory, and have all the numbers crunched.

It would be sort of like MaxDPS, but I'd like to put more info than just gearing.

I'm also planning to hook into a simulator, either SimulationCraft or a custom one I've written (which is still a bit slow), so people can get good, high-quality data about different types of fights and make sure that odd interactions like trinkets are accurately represented. Of course, the simulations only really work well with DPS classes, which is probably my next target.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:17 pm

The most important things I would say about the future site are:

- Avoid claiming that your site has all up-to-date knowledge, because no one source ever will. Always cite your sources and link to them heavily, with a prominent date/patch number for when the last update took place for that particular spec spreadsheet.
- Be as inclusive as possible, even if you think it gets confusing. If the six different options XY has for Z don't flow logically, change the layout so they do.
- For DPS classes with multiple specs, be sure to include the different specs which might be higher DPS, and include "forced utility" such as needing to be frost for a fight.

Generally, you will need to be as comprehensive and informative as possible to stand out, otherwise people will stick to places they know even if the information is bad or old.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Return to General