Remove Advertisements

Is this even possible?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Is this even possible?

Postby Dazarol » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:34 am

Main spec is holy, I would like my off spec to be prot. My prot set is very near BiS pre-raid. I also have a ret set that is nearly BiS as well (pre-raid).

I am FnF in a raiding guild, most of the other guildies only run the daily random instances and want to blow through them as quickly as possible. Obviously at this point they outgear the instances easily.

Trouble is, I want the guild rep for a full guild instance run, but there are usually 2-3 guildies who want to go on their healer, leaving me to either tank the run (which I am not ready for skill-wise yet), or they always ask me if I have a ret set.

So my question is this, and I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere:

Is there a prot spec that would put out a decent amount of DPS if I wore my ret set? Or does it not work like that at all? I wouldn't need to max out the DPS meter, all I need to do is "hold my own" and help get us through the instance ASAP. Plus, my pea brain wouldn't be able to handle learning how to heal AND tank AND ret DPS. I am barely smart enough to handle two specs. Three would melt my brain.

Would this work even a little bit, or should I not waste my time (and the time of my guildies)?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for noobness.

Daz
Dazarol

Re: Is this even possible?

Postby theckhd » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:44 am

The only way to do decent DPS as prot is to have some Vengeance stacks, which generally means you have to be tanking.

On trash packs, you might be able to do decently as prot with Hammer of the Righteous / Consecration / AS spam, simply because our AoE DPS is pretty good. But on bosses, you'd be fairly low (<5k DPS most likely).

Honestly, tanking isn't all that hard. You're probably better off just spending an evening learning, especially if you have a BiS pre-raid set of gear already.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby fafhrd » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Tanking also means you can give the group an instant queue, which generally isn't the case if you're queuing without a tank. And they're your guildies, they'll hopefully be slightly understanding if you're not tanking as well as their raid geared tanks - you'll probably still tank better than a lot of pug tanks.

Just say in guild chat you're you're queuing as a tank and ask if anyone wants a random - I'd be happy to go just because it's an instant queue.

(I also tank heroics or BH10 now and then with level 80 pieces in my tank set, I think you'll be fine).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Arizair » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:12 pm

threat wise, it's also very easy to hit/expertise cap vs 85 (heroic trash) and be at least close for 87 (heroic boss).

I find that in a random, if you're running heavy stam in a slot (ie stam trinket), then it's easy to bump that to Str and help on the dps more. It really depends on your specific numbers and gear options as well as the group dynamic as to how far you can do this.
I do rep belt/neck and two dps trinkets and still have 48% block and around 146k hp. I call it my Baradin's Hold set and it generates about 9-11k dps on argaloth and 13-14k in a 5m random (overall with no stacks of LFG). The line here is "does the healer need me to take less damage" vs "does the healer do better with shorter fights."

Try a piece and see, but I find that proper use of CDs on each pull more than makes up for any ret gear I use. Bosses in heroics almost never require a CD as much as trash with no CC. Know your encounters and know your group and you'll be able to out dps some dps on some fights and throw on max tank gear on others.
Arizair

Postby Cascadian » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:18 pm

Dazarol wrote:Is there a prot spec that would put out a decent amount of DPS if I wore my ret set? Or does it not work like that at all? I wouldn't need to max out the DPS meter, all I need to do is "hold my own" and help get us through the instance ASAP.

If your raid group is really outgearing heroic dungeons doing dailies and they have another tank already, just go in your prot gear and spec. Turn off RF and don't stress it. You will have lousy DPS, but it doesn't matter. I cannot count the number of times I have done a random and carried 1-2 DPS doing lousy numbers with PvP gear or just lack of knowledge.

Typically 4 geared raiders should be able to carry 1 person.
I would even say that 3 geared raiders could carry 2 way below average DPS as long as the tank and healer are not the weak points.

If I were you I would just run a few regular dungeons and learn tanking.
One of my co-workers sounded similar to you about 3 weeks ago. Now he is practically semi-pro.
Cascadian

Postby Mannstein » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:44 am

Go prot.
I allready did hc as prot pala, ret pala, shadow and holy priest.
And nothing is more fun that undergear tank or/and ret equiped prot tank.

After 4months the only fight i remember was the ones i was tanking with ret gear... i think i was <5k hp five times in one add pull in GB hc.
And put a guildie raid equiped Holy pala OoM in 1pull :D
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby bldavis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:35 am

the easiest way to get comfortable with tanking, is to tank

maybe start with some regulars, or run with one of your raidtanks on vent

even if they are a different class, they should be able to help you learn some basic tanking guidlines and how-to's

hell i just now leveling my first dk through NR, but back in ToC and ICC, i taught my DK co-tank how to tank just running through heroics on my hunter with him and talking on vent

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Return to Basic Training & Talents