4.3 Item Enhancement Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 4.0.6 Item Enhancement Guide

Postby Arothand » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:28 pm

I would be interested in seeing some theory behind the choice of Stam/Mastery versus pure Mastery. I had been using the following gemming strategy:

Blue: +60 Stam
Yellow/Colorless: +20 Stam/+20 Mastery
Red (good bonus or meta): +20 Parry/+20 Stam
Red (otherwise): +20 Stam/+20 Mastery

But after asking for some advice regarding Cho'gall (namely the fact he was beating the snot out of me during my guild's attempt) on Wowhead (not the best place for advice, I know, and I would trust the advice gotten here much more than there) I was told go pure Mastery, not Stam/Mastery, and I regemmed accordingly replacing all my Stam/Mastery gems with +40 Mastery gems. I didn't see a large spike in Mastery (maybe a percent or two) nor a significant loss of health, but I'm wondering if I should go back to Stam/Mastery now that I've gotten some epic gear.
Arothand

Postby theckhd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:10 am

Changing from a stam-heavy to a mastery-heavy gemming strategy (or vice versa) is unlikely to make a significant difference in your ability to kill bosses. The swings are just too small; you can at most trade ~10-20k health for ~5-10% block or so with gems and enchants. The best advice is to talk to your healers and see what they prefer; some would rather have the bigger buffer of extra hit points, others would rather have the extra mitigation. It has more to do with their play style and reaction time than it does with anything you do.

Digren: I'm not sure where else to put this, as I don't think it warrants its own thread, but I wanted to plug askmrrobot.com as a gear/enchant/reforge optimizer. I helped them fine-tune their stat weights for protection paladins a few weeks ago, and they now produce very reasonable gear sets. It might be worth mentioning them in the guide. If nothing else, their algorithm automatically takes care of diminishing returns, and will thus balance dodge/parry properly for you, saving the headache of doing it by hand.

The default stat weights favor a mastery-heavy gearing strategy, but changing the stamina weighting from 66 to 67+ will switch it to a stamina-favoring gear strategy.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Forgrim » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:33 am

I used Mr. Robot a couple weeks back, and noticed a heavy Stam favor for gems/enchants and didn't like it one bit. Today, I noticed it's favoring mastery gems, which is what i favor'd so I was happy.

Then i find out it was your doing Theck? You never cease to amaze me.
Forgrim

Postby Ezharon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:45 pm

theckhd wrote:Digren: I'm not sure where else to put this, as I don't think it warrants its own thread, but I wanted to plug askmrrobot.com as a gear/enchant/reforge optimizer. I helped them fine-tune their stat weights for protection paladins a few weeks ago, and they now produce very reasonable gear sets. It might be worth mentioning them in the guide. If nothing else, their algorithm automatically takes care of diminishing returns, and will thus balance dodge/parry properly for you, saving the headache of doing it by hand.

The default stat weights favor a mastery-heavy gearing strategy, but changing the stamina weighting from 66 to 67+ will switch it to a stamina-favoring gear strategy.

I had reforged parry to dodge on some of my gear and I found that Mr. Robot was telling me not to on a few pieces. I was surprised and at first I thought that it was better optimized when fully buffed (taking better care a diminishing returns that I've done manually).

But then I found that the unbuffed parry/dodge as shown by Mr. Robot weren't the same (and were higher) then my stat as shown in game on the character sheet. So the fully buffed optimized stats were wrong too.
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby theckhd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:14 pm

You might want to post that on their forums Ezharon. The last time I checked my gear, it lined up almost exactly with what I had on the character sheet. I haven't checked it recently though (as in, in the last week).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Torias » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:22 am

Ezharon wrote:I had reforged parry to dodge on some of my gear and I found that Mr. Robot was telling me not to on a few pieces. I was surprised and at first I thought that it was better optimized when fully buffed (taking better care a diminishing returns that I've done manually).

But then I found that the unbuffed parry/dodge as shown by Mr. Robot weren't the same (and were higher) then my stat as shown in game on the character sheet. So the fully buffed optimized stats were wrong too.

I don't recall where, precisely, but I remember reading on the Mr. Robot forums that their numbers for "base" dodge and parry may be slightly off in some cases but that it shouldn't affect the results of the Optimiser since those base numbers aren't affected by DR. Not to say there might not be a bug somewhere in there but just a heads up.
Torias

Postby masterpoobaa » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:46 pm

I have to say the weapon enchants are pretty uninspiring.
I am currently using the weapon chain, and I think I will be for some time to come.
Getting chain disarmed and not being able to generate Holy Power in Grim Bartol is irritating to say the least.

As I don't raid, I cant really justify the massive price of windwalk, and Ive tried the mending enchant (To help the healer out). Considering its a cata level enchant, Mending is a truly feeble enchant, only giving 850-950 health back per proc, and the proc rate seems pretty low. On the target dummy I've had non-proc streaks of greater than 30seconds.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Re: 4.1 Item Enhancement Guide

Postby Toshirou » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:46 am

A note to the thread starter - there is one leg enchant you have not gotten in you list that would apply to anyone creating a threat set:
[Dragonscale Leg Armor] - Attackpower +190 & Critical Strike Rating +55.

Thats the equal to [Dragonbone Leg Reinforcements], only it is not BoP Leatherworking.
Toshirou

Re: 4.1 Item Enhancement Guide

Postby Digren » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:17 am

Toshirou wrote:A note to the thread starter - there is one leg enchant you have not gotten in you list that would apply to anyone creating a threat set:
[Dragonscale Leg Armor] - Attackpower +190 & Critical Strike Rating +55.

Thats the equal to [Dragonbone Leg Reinforcements], only it is not BoP Leatherworking.

Got it. Thanks!
Digren

Re: 4.2 Item Enhancement Guide

Postby Cipri » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:07 am

Patch 4.2 added the [Drakehide Leg Armor] as a new leg enchant, now that agility lost its dodge chance. Think you could add that to the list of leg enchants?
Cipri

Postby Eanin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm wondering what one should do if there is a +30 stamina bonus with a yellow socket and a red socket, when going for a mastery-heavy strategy. The yellow socket with +15 stamina implies I should match the socket, but the red socket with +15 stamina isn't enough. What breaks the tie? (This applies to the t11 chest).
Eanin

Postby Digren » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Cipri wrote:Patch 4.2 added the [Drakehide Leg Armor] as a new leg enchant, now that agility lost its dodge chance. Think you could add that to the list of leg enchants?

Gah, I new that was coming but still forgot to include it. Thanks!
Digren

Postby Digren » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Eanin wrote:I'm wondering what one should do if there is a +30 stamina bonus with a yellow socket and a red socket, when going for a mastery-heavy strategy. The yellow socket with +15 stamina implies I should match the socket, but the red socket with +15 stamina isn't enough. What breaks the tie? (This applies to the t11 chest).

That's a good question. Refer to the guide for the mastery-heavy strategy:

Mastery Heavy
    Red Slot (with really good* bonus) : [Fine Ember Topaz] : +20 Parry Rating and +20 Mastery Rating : Jewelcrafting
    Blue Slot (with good** bonus) : [Puissant Dream Emerald] : +20 Mastery Rating and +30 Stamina : Jewelcrafting
    Yellow or Colorless Slot (all***) : [Fractured Amberjewel] : +40 Mastery Rating : Jewelcrafting

* A really good bonus is more than 13 mastery rating or 20 stamina tied to a single non-yellow slot
    ** A good bonus is 10 or more mastery rating or 15 or more stamina tied to a single non-yellow slot
    *** including all slots with poor socket bonuses

With a mastery-heavy strategy, yellow sockets are freebies; you are going to put a pure mastery gem in every yellow socket no matter how good or bad the socket bonus may be.

That means that, in this case, the decision to match the socket bonus is entirely based on what you want to put in the red socket. That means you should consider the entire socket bonus attached to that red socket. +30 stamina tied to a single red socket is a "really good bonus", and you should match for it. I suggest a parry/mastery gem.

Keep in mind that my suggestion will not give you the highest possible combat table coverage. You will get better coverage by ignoring the socket bonus and just stacking mastery. That said, stamina is always important, right? And since you need stamina, it wouldn't be wise to give it up someplace where you can get a lot of it for a low cost. I value stamina at about 2/3s the value of mastery, even in a mastery-heavy strategy. In this case, that means by matching the red socket you get +10 parry rating (worth about 3.6 mastery rating in terms of ctc) plus +20 mastery rating (from the gem) plus +30 stamina (worth about 20 mastery rating per my valuation), for a total of about 43.6 mastery rating equivalent. If you ignore the bonus and just insert a 40 mastery gem, you only get 40 mastery rating equivalent. It's close, but not quite as good.

Thanks for the question, and good luck!
Digren

Postby Wonton » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Great thread. After reading it, I've got a task list about 15 lines long for "fixes" I can make when I get on WoW tonight.

Having said that, I'm looking for some advice concerning gems. I currently have 135K unbuffed health, and my dodge+parry+block is 63.15%. Therefore, if we're to follow the "tank stages" thread, my health is above that of a stage 2 (recommended 130K), while my CTC is far below (recommended 70%). To fix this, should I just stack +40 mastery gems on every single gem socket, regardless of colour? Or is a +20 Parry socket bonus still worth matching for?

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... m/advanced
Wonton

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:18 am

Not that this is necessarily a high priority except maybe for threat sets (and maybe it's been mentioned before, I haven't read through the rest of the thread), but under the wrist enchantments, why is the leather enchantment for strength lower on the list than the regular enchantment for strength?

Just something I noticed :)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice