Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Elxir » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:32 am

Love the guide, great job on it! Just one little thing i saw in the main list, you have http://cata.wowhead.com/item=55779 listed as Item Level 333, when they're actually 308, though still not bad for the budget.
Elxir Breauer, at your service...

Elxir (85 Undead Warlock, Nagrand [Oceanic])
Celyssena (85 Blood Elf Paladin, Nagrand [Oceanic])
Calynda (83 Blood Elf Priest, Uther [US])
Wijas (81 Troll Warrior, Uther [US])
Elxir
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:22 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby vexryn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:35 am

Elxir wrote:Love the guide, great job on it! Just one little thing i saw in the main list, you have http://cata.wowhead.com/item=55779 listed as Item Level 333, when they're actually 308, though still not bad for the budget.


Oops, indeed there shouldn't be any regular BRC gear on the list (since I was only aiming to list the 333+ gear).

I'm just going to remove it from the list completely to avoid confusion. Thanks for the heads-up!
vexryn
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Elxir » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14 am

No problem, also (though I know it's likely been debated quite hard) the Dragonmaw Revered helm enchant http://www.wowhead.com/item=62368 is pretty good for the mastery alone not to mention the Parry you get from the Strength it gives, the loss of Stamina may be what's keeping people from using it instead of the Earthen Ring one though, just a thought for someone's Threat set as an option, or if you don't have Earthen Ring at Revered yet for whatever reason. whether or not you list it is entirely up to you.
Elxir Breauer, at your service...

Elxir (85 Undead Warlock, Nagrand [Oceanic])
Celyssena (85 Blood Elf Paladin, Nagrand [Oceanic])
Calynda (83 Blood Elf Priest, Uther [US])
Wijas (81 Troll Warrior, Uther [US])
Elxir
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:22 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby vexryn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:06 am

As requested, I've shown some love to my warrior brethren; ranged slot (gun) tank options are now listed. :)

My sympathies to the warriors. Your options for this slot really suck until you get/buy the Bastion of Twilight trash drop! If I missed another piece of gear in this slot, please let me know!
vexryn
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Njall » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:14 am

vexryn wrote:As requested, I've shown some love to my warrior brethren; ranged slot (gun) tank options are now listed. :)

My sympathies to the warriors. Your options for this slot really suck until you get/buy the Bastion of Twilight trash drop! If I missed another piece of gear in this slot, please let me know!



I think you missed the engineering bows and weapons. I can't link them here at work but the Kickback5000 is supposedly pretty good.
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby vexryn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Njall wrote:
vexryn wrote:As requested, I've shown some love to my warrior brethren; ranged slot (gun) tank options are now listed. :)

My sympathies to the warriors. Your options for this slot really suck until you get/buy the Bastion of Twilight trash drop! If I missed another piece of gear in this slot, please let me know!



I think you missed the engineering bows and weapons. I can't link them here at work but the Kickback5000 is supposedly pretty good.



I took a look at some of the bows and such and didn't see many options. They're all agility, and while that isn't necessarily fatal, most of it that I saw doesn't even have masteyr. The Kickback 5000 is agility/crit/haste; perhaps it's of interest to dps warriors, but the ilvl 318 quest gear would seem to be far better for actual tanking?
vexryn
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Belmage » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Vexryn, thank you SO much for this guide - I've finally got round to levelling up my pally, and you've saved me an awful lot of research!

Your efforts are much appreciated by this mage pretending to know how to drive a tankadin :)
Belmage
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Kibaikasu » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Hey, just wanted to point out something in the Enchant section of the guide, you forgot to add Cardboard Assassin onto the belt portion. IMHO it is a better engineer tinker as the PSG tends to backfire, and one of the side-effects is nasty, a increased % chance to take a crit and only absorbs about 20k damage when it works properly. Cardboard Assassin, on the other hand, pops a training dummy that has almost 80k hp, an AoE taunt, and the ability to parry. AND it works on bosses and trash alike. I've used it when I tank and it's an awesome trinket to have. I wouldn't run without one. XD
Kibaikasu
Enforcer of the Unreal

Image
Kibaikasu
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby theckhd » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:33 am

We noticed last night that Cardboard Assassin was no longer taunting Chimaeron, at least on Heroic mode. I didn't think to test it on other bosses, but I'll try it on Maloriak or Nef/Ony tonight. It's possible they've hotfixed it (though, given that every other tinker has a pretty nasty backfire, it's still probably the best option we have).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 7956
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby vexryn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Kibaikasu wrote:Hey, just wanted to point out something in the Enchant section of the guide, you forgot to add Cardboard Assassin onto the belt portion. IMHO it is a better engineer tinker as the PSG tends to backfire, and one of the side-effects is nasty, a increased % chance to take a crit and only absorbs about 20k damage when it works properly. Cardboard Assassin, on the other hand, pops a training dummy that has almost 80k hp, an AoE taunt, and the ability to parry. AND it works on bosses and trash alike. I've used it when I tank and it's an awesome trinket to have. I wouldn't run without one. XD



Thanks for the suggestion. I've added it to the guide!
vexryn
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby BlindTank » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:50 am

Awesome guide.

Some of the rep reward gear that isn't strictly tanking gear seems like it would be pretty decent (compared to blues) if reforged.

Belt of the Ferocious Wolf http://www.wowhead.com/item=62384 for example. Right now I have the JP belt (Girdle of the Mountains), but am tempted to replace it with that. As I don't raid, most of the good stuff is out of my reach, so I'm looking for alternatives...

What do you think?
BlindTank
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby michael000 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Was playing around w/ ring combinations a few nights ago and noticed that i got more total avoidance towards the CTC cap using a Heroic Umbriss Band and Red Rock Band w/ their 168 mastery each than i did using either one of those rings and a Felsen's Ring of Resolve. This being the case wouldn't this move those 2 rings above all the 346 rings (and possibly a couple of the 359s) especially since the dmg mitigation from mastery is our primary tanking stat? Rings become even more attractive once you reforge out the expertise and hit into either dodge or parry.
michael000
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Drogba » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:33 am

The BOE trash drops are only normal, the heroic ones dosnt exist (no heroic trash).

Also the T11-Hc leg token is dropped by Maloriak-Hc.
Drogba
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:43 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Athos » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:01 pm

This guide is outstanding. Thank you for taking the time to put it together!
Athos
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby rosefirelite2358 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:16 am

I didn't find this on your list, I got it during Love Is In The Air off Apothecary Hummel <Crown Chemical Co.> In SFK
Shard of Pirouetting Happiness
http://www.wowhead.com/item=68172

BTW to see it on me I'm in <K A S> Stormscale
Image
User avatar
rosefirelite2358
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:20 am
Location: Stormscale-US Horde

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot] and 1 guest