Remove Advertisements

[10] Maloriak or "Why I hate my life"

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Maloriak or "Why I hate my life"

Postby PsiVen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:40 pm

With regard to adds, the solution is always to kite more and tank less. Remember that adds only buff each other, not themselves, so the stacked buff amount is #adds-1.

3 adds deal 3x140% = 420%
6 adds deal 6x200% = 1200%
9 adds deal 9x260% = 2340%
12 adds deal 12x320% = 3840%

That's assuming a linear stacking buff, but since the buff doesn't actually stack as one, I believe it stacks multiplicatively:

3 adds deal 3x(1.2^2) = 432%
6 adds deal 6x(1.2^5) = 1493%
9 adds deal 9x(1.2^8) = 3870%
12 adds deal 12x(1.2^11) = 8916%

This is why twelve adds are completely untankable when grouped together. Not only do they deal insane damage, but they take 91% less damage which cancels out the division of healing threat (which is 93% reduced with 13 threat targets, but in practice far higher because healers will be spamming you).

The key, then, is to kite the adds so thoroughly that not only are you not getting hit by more than a few at once, but they are spread out enough that they aren't all buffing each other. If you do 2-tank it, you should do so with a plate DPS or even a healer holding aggro on 1-3 of them. 9 per phase means that the add tank will be taking manageable damage and not really have to kite (though he still can and should) and whoever is helping just has to pick up the last few and will still take less damage than the add tank. Ideally they can kite 3 to reduce damage and still be totally safe if they actually do get hit a few times.

For my money, a rogue spamming crippling FoK on a clump of adds is the best thing ever. You're not restricted by a static totem or trap, which lets you take a wider arc and avoid them ever hitting you. You should always be able to afford the DPS loss of a DPS coming out to help for 30 seconds before the green phase, as long as you have someone else to cover interrupts.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Azash » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:02 am

As the add tank on 10 normal attempts, I'll share my perspective. In normal mode there is no reason to have more than 9 adds at a time.

Note: I am not good at kiting, found myself getting smashed in the back of the head too often so we adopted this strategy.

I easily tank 6 at a time without kiting. When the last set of adds is coming out, I have the mage in our group drop Ring of Frost holding the 6 adds, I can freely collect the 3 new ones and kite them over the Ring freezing these in place. If they break loose, either the mage will freeze them or the hunter will frost trap and I will kite across till the green vial gets tossed out.

Tanking 6 is no problem, without chaining CD's its impossible to tank 9 from my experience.
Azash

Postby Syncognition » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:13 pm

I usually add tank this fight since the boss hits like a little girl and our OT is a bit more squishy. We've had the boss on farm for weeks, however I ran into a weird issue last week. I usually tank 9 adds at a time, blowing CDs if things get dicey. On the last set of adds before a green vial, our frost dk drew aggro by mistake on an add. No big deal, I just used Righteous Defense on him from healbot (the DK, not the add) to taunt since Hand of Reckoning was on CD. Somehow I got the boss, too, and we wiped. The DK insists he did not have aggro from the boss, and I couldn't really tell as I didn't have the boss targeted to see his threat in omen.

Is this a bug or was our DK mistaken? Our 2nd unit Paladin tank reported similar issues in their raid, so we have just been avoiding using Righteous Defense in that fight since then.
Syncognition

Postby PsiVen » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:33 am

Someone was likely mistaken there. Righteous Defense is dangerous to use on adds due to MT aggro potential, but if you were careful and targeted it on the DPS DK then I'm not sure what happened. He does seem a little squirrely during the Green phase, but I'm guessing since this caused a wipe that it was during Red.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Syncognition » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:49 am

Meh, I'm certain I targeted the DK, and he is a notorious aggro whore. Just wasn't sure if anyone else has had a similar experience on that fight. If it happens again he'll just get the penalty box (HoP) :twisted:
Syncognition

Postby yappo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:31 am

Syncognition wrote:Meh, I'm certain I targeted the DK, and he is a notorious aggro whore. Just wasn't sure if anyone else has had a similar experience on that fight. If it happens again he'll just get the penalty box (HoP) :twisted:

Unless your boss-tank is doing something outright awful (as in not even trying to hit the boss), or that DK isn't deliberately taunting the boss, there's simply no way the DK could have aggro on the boss as far into the fight as just before a green vial.
yappo

Postby Shathus » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:53 am

yappo wrote:
Syncognition wrote:Meh, I'm certain I targeted the DK, and he is a notorious aggro whore. Just wasn't sure if anyone else has had a similar experience on that fight. If it happens again he'll just get the penalty box (HoP) :twisted:

Unless your boss-tank is doing something outright awful (as in not even trying to hit the boss), or that DK isn't deliberately taunting the boss, there's simply no way the DK could have aggro on the boss as far into the fight as just before a green vial.

What vial phase were you on prior to green? Only other thing I can guess is that if it was a red phase, maybe he targeted the DK for <whatever buff that increases fire damage taken, etc> is right when you taunted? Sound weird bug in that while the DK didn't have aggro, he was targeted by the boss so RD taunted the boss too.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Syncognition » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:10 pm

That very well may have been it. It's is far enough back though that I honestly can't remember which vial was up at the time.
Syncognition

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)