P67 Chipset Re-release

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

P67 Chipset Re-release

Postby Drathian » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:32 am

So, I'm not sure if there are many people on here that have been following the Sandy Bridge P67 motherboard Chipset recall, but if my google-Fu is correct, Asus/Asrock has started shipping them out this week. Here's some linkee's:

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/10124/

http://www.asrock.com/news/events/201102ex/warranty.html

I've been following this because my laptop motherboard ended up frying shortly after Sandy Bridge was released, and since the cost of replacing the mobo seemed excessive, I started looking into building a desktop based around the i5 2500k, only to have all the p67 motherboards pulled.

I was just getting ready to say screw it and build around a phenom II x4 975 when I saw this news. Beyond giving anyone who was interested a heads-up, I was also wondering if anyone else had seen news about any of the other brands re-releasing their boards (I like having options, and I have a bit of a softspot for MSI after working with their 790/890FX-GD70 boards).
Drathian

Re: P67 Chipset Re-release

Postby Levantine » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:37 am

Worth the wait, even if they take a while. I got mine like, yesterday, so I doubt they're actually gone at the moment. Either that or Australia is a dumbass. FWIW the Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer (amd's version) blow everything else out of the water completely so it's really not worth getting anything else at the moment.
Levantine

Postby Drathian » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:57 am

Yeah, I spent way too many hours reading benchmark comparisons on the i5 2500k vs the Phenom II x4 975, and was completely blown away by the 30-50% performance gains, not to mention the massive overclocking potential of the i5. And at just a ~$50 price difference between the builds, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger.

I was considering skipping going intel all together and waiting for Bulldozer, but the only material I read mentioned octo-cores, which I'm not interested in for a gaming centric rig, and I heard through the grapevine that the reason Bulldozer hasn't been released yet is because of Sandy Bridge's massive performance gains and low price point blew Bulldozer away. But that's just talk.
Drathian

Postby Drathian » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:07 am

Oh, out of curiosity, which motherboard did you grab?

For anyone who is interested, the i5 2500k is achieving overclocks up past 5GHz on air cooling. Also, the issue with the p67 Chipset had to do with the SATA2 ports degrading with prolonged use, and only affected 5% of retail boards released. Definitely been some interesting reading material for my overnight shifts :)
Drathian

Postby theckhd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:06 am

I bought an Asus P867 in January. It's been working fine, but the failure mode probably wouldn't be apparent yet. I have my system and WoW drives on the "good" SATA connector just in case though, so I probably wouldn't notice much anyway.

I'll have to look into the return program. If they cross-ship, I'll probably just make the swap. At this point it's not really worth being out a system for a week while they ship it though, since there's a 95% chance my board is fine.

I have my 2600K running at 4 GHz with the stock heatsink/fan, but I haven't pushed it very hard yet. When I let it auto-overclock, it had it running at around 4.3 GHz and bumped the RAM speed, but it wasn't stable. I suspect it was the RAM speed that the issue, so I might try and boost it back up to 4.2 GHz or more in the future.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Levantine » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:58 am

I went with a Gigabyte P67A UD4.

So far I'm just letting mine sit at 3.7GHz, but that's only because the ambient temp in my room is fairly high for that sort of thing with only the stock fan. I'm grabbing a NH-D14 in the next few weeks though, and I'll bump it up some more then.
Levantine

Postby Arnock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Very tempting, but I only purchased my current i5 back in september, and I haven't even had a need to overclock it yet.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Return to Arkham Asylum