Remove Advertisements

Arena 4.06

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Arena 4.06

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:28 am

I figured I'd start a basic arena thread to be "CURRENT" with the most recent patch.

Possible discussion points: personal experiences, observations, strategies, specs, questions, team compositions, ect.

My example

I've spent this last month gearing up a warrior for PVP, I started Prot due to lack of gear, moved to arms before the 4.06 nerf and now I'm finally a melee god Fury Warrior ;).

Fury Warrior Pokku - Lightninghoof

I've been running 2v2 with a Holy Pally and have been winning 4/5 matches so far.

3 out of 5 losses have been to Lock / Druid teams. They obliterate us with the consistant roots, fear, cyclone, slow. They slowly dot down my healer while I spent 60% of the battle just trying to CATCH a target.

We have only lost 1 out of our 25 matches to a double DPS team and it was rogue mage but they had a 1900 rating when we where only 1300.

If anyone has any tips feel free to throw em out, or just post your own info.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Re: Arena 4.06

Postby Minarva » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:43 am

Fury is still a gimmicky spec for arena, only a few pull it off to above 2.2k (you'll get pissed once teams learn to shiv/soothe your CDs off). For arena you will still be wanting to be arms, altough paladin/warrior is a weak comp past 2k rating or so - most mage/x teams will eat you alive, fury or not.

Paladin healing in general is very weak in arena right now, there is a "wall" around 2.4k or so that most paladin teams can't beat due to the prevalence of CC chains or RMP gunning down the paladin. In 2s this is exaggerated with the huge amount of double dps teams (mage/lock and mage/spriest will actually make you cry).

Currently I'm at 2.3k running WLP and 2.4k in 2s Pal/war - we have decided to not play 3s until Wednesday where we can pick up our new weapons then rating doesn't matter. For 2s to get past 2.2k or so your paladin will be the major factor in how well you do. He needs to hug pillars like no tomorrow and be very vocal if he thinks he is going to be CCd, you need to do all you can to stop that.

Edit: Ret/war is fun too!
Minarva

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Minarva wrote:Fury is still a gimmicky spec for arena, only a few pull it off to above 2.2k (you'll get pissed once teams learn to shiv/soothe your CDs off). For arena you will still be wanting to be arms, altough paladin/warrior is a weak comp past 2k rating or so - most mage/x teams will eat you alive, fury or not.

Paladin healing in general is very weak in arena right now, there is a "wall" around 2.4k or so that most paladin teams can't beat due to the prevalence of CC chains or RMP gunning down the paladin. In 2s this is exaggerated with the huge amount of double dps teams (mage/lock and mage/spriest will actually make you cry).

Currently I'm at 2.3k running WLP and 2.4k in 2s Pal/war - we have decided to not play 3s until Wednesday where we can pick up our new weapons then rating doesn't matter. For 2s to get past 2.2k or so your paladin will be the major factor in how well you do. He needs to hug pillars like no tomorrow and be very vocal if he thinks he is going to be CCd, you need to do all you can to stop that.

Edit: Ret/war is fun too!

You said your 2's is pally / warrior at 2.4k - what spec is the warrior?
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Minarva » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Arms. We have been slowly tanking rating though, so we play little now until something changes. Double dps -will- make you cry. I have been thinking of going ret for 2s, with strong offhealing and much more damage/cc able to control teams. We were at one point number one 2v2 on our bg for about a week, but mage/feral , mage/spriest , mage/lock and mage/rogue pretty much ended that. We only win against them if I get lucky dispells (dispelling the root instead of the slow etc).

Your ability to dispel your warrior and keep him on the target makes or breaks this comp.
Minarva

Postby Jeffersonian000 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm a prot/PvP prot pally, doing 2v2 with a ret, and we've hit the 1300 bounce point on our rating. If we're pitted against a team that is no more than a few hundred points higher than us, we still do quite well; however, we keep getting pitted again teams in the upper teens/lower 20's ratings, which frankly sucks.

Generally, we heal each other rather than ourselves, which seem to be a good strategy most of the time as it lets us survive the 2v1 stacking when the two of them focus on one of us. If they focus on me, the ret burns one then we both burn the other. If they focus on him, well, he might die but I can still pull off a kill shortly after and outlast the other guy in 1v1. Of course, we burn the more dangerous target first, etc.

Except for the fact that we can't seem to break past 1300 rating in 2v2. Our 3v3 (us two + a heal-shammie) is still at 560, as we just can't seem to keep the shammie up past the first few seconds of the fight.

SJ
Jeffersonian000

Postby Kelaan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:18 am

Consider changing what time of day or what day of the week you play - sometimes, the pool of people it uses to match you with is small. (We once lost to the same team three times in twelve matches, presumably because no one else had an MMR low enough for us at that time.)
Kelaan

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes