Remove Advertisements

Acquired Tastes

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:31 am

katraya wrote:
Fivelives wrote:
I don't get how people can dislike vegetables. I'm the biggest carnivore I know, but I still LOVE me some veggies.


I think a lot of people never had veggies cooked properly. If all you have ever had is canned/boiled/frozen stuff it's kind of understandable. I know several people who hated brussel sprouts but were converted when I made them.

Speaking of: Best Cauliflower Recipe Ever!

I don't know, certainly different preparations that mask or mellow their actual taste can be more palatable, but considering that they are often eaten raw, I don't think their taste is a mystery. From my own experience it's just a genuine dislike of their flavor. I used to dislike most veggies too, but now I eat and even crave them regularly.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9666
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby Fivelives » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:25 am

It's funny how our tastes change as we get older. When I was a kid, I never really "got" the taste of swiss cheese - now that I'm older, I love it.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby bldavis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:56 am

Fivelives wrote:It's funny how our tastes change as we get older. When I was a kid, I never really "got" the taste of swiss cheese - now that I'm older, I love it.

same with me and feta

i hated feta as a kid, now i love it
oh and pastrami.....mmm pastrami /drool
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7350
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby Skwigelf » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Fivelives wrote:It's funny how our tastes change as we get older. When I was a kid, I never really "got" the taste of swiss cheese - now that I'm older, I love it.


When I was a kid I loved lobster. I remember going on a trip to my grandparents house in the east coast of Quebec. We traveled through the US. In Maine we ate at a seafood restaurant and I ordered a whole lobster(I was around 7 at the time). Finished the whole thing off.

Now? Eew! Thats an insect! With its buggly eyes and antennae and creepy crawly legs...Eew! Also, howsaboot the inhumane way they are cooked, eh? At least when I buy a steak at the store the cow is already dead and butchered. Lobster? You buy them alive and then throw them in a pot of boiling water. Talk about animal, or in this case insectical, cruelty!
User avatar
Skwigelf
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:07 am

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby Skwigelf » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Oh, also Kraft Dinner.

When I was a kid I would put ketchup and chopped up wieners in it. Now...I look back and wonder what the hell I was thinking...well except the wiener part. NOM NOM NOM.
User avatar
Skwigelf
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:07 am

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby Thornir » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Skwigelf wrote:Oh, also Kraft Dinner.

When I was a kid I would put ketchup and chopped up wieners in it. Now...I look back and wonder what the hell I was thinking...well except the wiener part. NOM NOM NOM.


What kid didn't? Hell, I still do.

I have an idea for dinner tomorrow.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
User avatar
Thornir
 
Posts: 621
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: In some sewers beneath a prison somewhere

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby Gracerath » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Skwigelf wrote:
Fivelives wrote:It's funny how our tastes change as we get older. When I was a kid, I never really "got" the taste of swiss cheese - now that I'm older, I love it.


When I was a kid I loved lobster. I remember going on a trip to my grandparents house in the east coast of Quebec. We traveled through the US. In Maine we ate at a seafood restaurant and I ordered a whole lobster(I was around 7 at the time). Finished the whole thing off.

Now? Eew! Thats an insect! With its buggly eyes and antennae and creepy crawly legs...Eew! Also, howsaboot the inhumane way they are cooked, eh? At least when I buy a steak at the store the cow is already dead and butchered. Lobster? You buy them alive and then throw them in a pot of boiling water. Talk about animal, or in this case insectical, cruelty!


If you put your lobster in the fridge for ~15-30 mins before cooking, they basically go into a deep dark sleep and then when you plop them into the steamer / boiling water, they are dead within seconds. But lets be honest, if you can eat a steak and have no qualms about it, you can eat a lobster. Thats the food chain. Something living dies in order to provide! Do you enjoy shrimp? Crab? They are "bugs" too. That reminds me, I'd love to try cooked tarantula or scorpion some day. I hear they taste crabby.

Although this is an acquired tastes thread :P so any reason for liking / disliking is reasonable!
Bye space sword!
User avatar
Gracerath
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:31 pm

katraya wrote:
Fivelives wrote:
I don't get how people can dislike vegetables. I'm the biggest carnivore I know, but I still LOVE me some veggies.


I think a lot of people never had veggies cooked properly. If all you have ever had is canned/boiled/frozen stuff it's kind of understandable. I know several people who hated brussel sprouts but were converted when I made them.

Speaking of: Best Cauliflower Recipe Ever!

I mostly blame my mom, since she's just as picky about them. It's hard to enforce "eat your veggies" if you aren't also willing to eat them. And I can't much stand the smell of brussel sprouts... let alone the taste.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3928
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby bldavis » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:31 am

Skye1013 wrote:
katraya wrote:
Fivelives wrote:
I don't get how people can dislike vegetables. I'm the biggest carnivore I know, but I still LOVE me some veggies.


I think a lot of people never had veggies cooked properly. If all you have ever had is canned/boiled/frozen stuff it's kind of understandable. I know several people who hated brussel sprouts but were converted when I made them.

Speaking of: Best Cauliflower Recipe Ever!

I mostly blame my mom, since she's just as picky about them. It's hard to enforce "eat your veggies" if you aren't also willing to eat them. And I can't much stand the smell of brussel sprouts... let alone the taste.

this is why im trying to grow up adn eat more veggies....
how can i tell my sons to eat thier's if i wont eat mine?
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7350
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:13 am

bldavis wrote:this is why im trying to grow up adn eat more veggies....
how can i tell my sons to eat thier's if i wont eat mine?

My plan (IF I ever have kids) is to feed them multi-vitamins and make them play outside... I'll try to teach them to eat healthy, and hopefully my S.O. will be able to help in that department, but I refuse to allow them to get fat from completely unhealthy habits (I'm far from a healthy eater, and I'm only barely above "BMI" @ 5'10.5" {179cm} & ~190lbs {~86kg}, though I'm starting to work out more, so that will likely improve.)

That leads to another "acquired taste" : Exercise.


Edit: Ok, so just recalc'd my BMI (26.9), and I'm higher than I thought, but I wouldn't consider myself by any means "fat."
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3928
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby Skwigelf » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:13 am

Skye1013 wrote:
bldavis wrote:this is why im trying to grow up adn eat more veggies....
how can i tell my sons to eat thier's if i wont eat mine?

My plan (IF I ever have kids) is to feed them multi-vitamins and make them play outside... I'll try to teach them to eat healthy, and hopefully my S.O. will be able to help in that department, but I refuse to allow them to get fat from completely unhealthy habits (I'm far from a healthy eater, and I'm only barely above "BMI" @ 5'10.5" {179cm} & ~190lbs {~86kg}, though I'm starting to work out more, so that will likely improve.)

That leads to another "acquired taste" : Exercise.


Edit: Ok, so just recalc'd my BMI (26.9), and I'm higher than I thought, but I wouldn't consider myself by any means "fat."


BMI is worthless.

It doesn't take into account bone density or muscle mass.

According to BMI, a 6' 235llb NFL Runningback is considered obese(31.9 BMI rating).

And yes, some people actually are big boned.
User avatar
Skwigelf
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:07 am

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:41 am

Skwigelf wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:
bldavis wrote:this is why im trying to grow up adn eat more veggies....
how can i tell my sons to eat thier's if i wont eat mine?

My plan (IF I ever have kids) is to feed them multi-vitamins and make them play outside... I'll try to teach them to eat healthy, and hopefully my S.O. will be able to help in that department, but I refuse to allow them to get fat from completely unhealthy habits (I'm far from a healthy eater, and I'm only barely above "BMI" @ 5'10.5" {179cm} & ~190lbs {~86kg}, though I'm starting to work out more, so that will likely improve.)

That leads to another "acquired taste" : Exercise.


Edit: Ok, so just recalc'd my BMI (26.9), and I'm higher than I thought, but I wouldn't consider myself by any means "fat."


BMI is worthless.

It doesn't take into account bone density or muscle mass.

According to BMI, a 6' 235llb NFL Runningback is considered obese(31.9 BMI rating).

And yes, some people actually are big boned.

Well aware that it's not a system for everyone, but
1) it's a system the AF was using as an alternative to waist measurements (when scoring for PT tests, if you had 25 or lower BMI, you got max points, even if your waist was >33", AFAIK they don't do this anymore with the new scoring system, but I've gotten accustomed to using it as a measuring tool, so continuing to use it {unless I attempt to bulk up} will still give me a general idea of where I am.)

2) I'm of the body type that I'd be willing to bet it's decently accurate for me. 175 lbs. is my currently goal, and that actually puts me right under 25 BMI. Now... that's assuming I'm not replacing all my fat with muscle (and since I don't do a lot of weightlifting/resistance training, I'd imagine that won't be entirely inaccurate.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3928
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby Fivelives » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 am

BMI is worthless for everyone. I'm not even sure how the military jumped on the bandwagon.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby Punkss2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:46 am

Anyone from Hawaii will back me on this, Li Hing Mui...just saying it makes my mouth water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_hing_mui
http://www.crackseedcenter.com/Category ... egoryID=28

First link gives you the history etc. Second link is a bunch of the stuff it's mixed with. Man I'm craving me some li hing gummi bears now.
Thinking of starting WOW again....
User avatar
Punkss2
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: The Space Olympics

Re: Acquired Tastes

Postby katraya » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:02 am

I had pickled green tomatoes for the first time ever at the farmer's market this weekend. So freaking good!
Image
User avatar
katraya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest
?php } else { ?