Dont ever give up guild lead, blizzard is ok with theft.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Dont ever give up guild lead, blizzard is ok with theft.

Postby Rokh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:34 pm

So I just gave guild lead to someone I had known for over 2 years, because he said he wanted to change a setting, because I trusted him.

He then boots me an about 10 other people from my 25man guild, mostly my officers and close friends.
I asked him what was going on, and he told me that he and his roommates wanted to make a guild together, but they didnt want to start from scratch.... so it seemed a good idea to just up and steal my level 18 guild.......

After this was made public, he invited about 10 people or so im told.

I, along with a few others petitioned this event. Only to learn that because guild leadership is something that is given voluntarily, blizzard will not do anything in this situation.

I've played this game since alpha, over a year before release. Ive Cleared every tier in this game when it was the current content, I have every mount in the game, almost 160 mini pets, and over 10,000 achievement points.

And this is how it ends, stabed in the back by an officer ive played with for over 2 years.

Im out, i quit
-rokh
Rokh

Re: Dont ever give up guild lead, blizzard is ok with theft.

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:03 pm

That's horrible... though this should probably be in the frustrations thread.

Honestly, the only two people I'd pass guild leadership to, are IRL friends. So if they attempted something like that, I could hunt them down and beat their ass ;).
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Hokahey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:43 am

Wow. That is incredibly fucked up. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Of course, on the other hand, I have to wonder why it was you didn't have him tell you what the "settings" were he wanted changed and do it yourself, if it were appropriate. Would have seemed far easier to do it that way.

Mind you, it doesn't excuse the other player's behavior, and it seems odd that Blizzard would say, "Well, you agreed to do it voluntarily, so cry all you want."

You're right, though, if I were a guild leader, I wouldn't relinquish that until I was prepared to not be guild leader of that guild ever again.
Hokahey

Postby Bobness » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:46 am

That's dreadful....what a douche
Bobness

Postby Fetzie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:51 am

that is terrible, i'm sorry that happened to you. However, I agree that something like officer status or the guild leadership is not something to "give" because they asked for it. If it is that important to change a setting (I cannot for the life of me imagine something that would warrant changing the guild master to change) then they can just tell you what it is needs to be changed.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Darielle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:49 am

One of the biggest things is whether there's ingame proof of any of this. You can try and convince a GM that it fit the bill of scamming if there's something ingame to prove it (and even then, you voluntarily gave him control and he just did controlly things as was his right so that may not work, so you'd have to have something like "I'm only going to change this setting and then give you GM back, I PROMISE!!!!!"), but if this was a convo on Vent, they can't work off anything.
Darielle

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:05 am

TBH, this sounds like your own fault. You trusted someone poorly, and it cost you a lot. Much like it will IRL if you trust the wrong people. Why in the hell did HE have to change the setting? Did he tell you what the setting was? And if he didn't, why didn't you ask? And if you did ask, why didn't you change it?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:11 am

Nikachelle wrote:TBH, this sounds like your own fault. You trusted someone poorly, and it cost you a lot. Much like it will IRL if you trust the wrong people. Why in the hell did HE have to change the setting? Did he tell you what the setting was? And if he didn't, why didn't you ask? And if you did ask, why didn't you change it?

I gotta agree with Nika on this one.

I had a similar situation happen a couple years ago. I needed a break from RL friends who were in my guild, so I started an alliance character on another server. I made a guild just so I would have a place to deposit my junk. I started out banking my gold until I had enough to buy a tab, and then I got some more people into the guild, and we started leveling together. One of the original people to sign my charter stuck around, even though he didn't need to. He proved to be a good player, smart player, and was well versed on the AH.

We had built the Guild Bank up to be 4 tabs with a guild of ~20 people all in our 40's. We all tossed junk in there, we all agreed that This person would sell the stuff in the AH, depositing the gold back into the GB. It was going swimmingly. Then, one saturday night, I log on, and someone says: The guild bank is completely empty.

I run over to the bank, and sure as hell, the GB is completely empty. I check my friends list, and he is on, and in Stormwind with me. I go start hunting him down, find him, and there he is standing next to someone else outside the Auction House. New Guild Tag.

In the end, my officer in my guild, who I had setup specifically to use the Auction House for our guild cleaned us out. He wasn't able to take more than 20gold (what we had agreed would cover normal AH charges for a day), but he cleared out probably 1k worth of trade goods. That doesn't sound like a lot, but in TBC, for a group of leveling people, that was quite a fair amount.

In the end, it killed the guild, and it was my own fault for trusting someone I didn't know personally. RIP <Exodar Test Pilot>
Shoju

Postby Rachmaninoff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 am

on a positive thought, after 6-7 years... its a good reason to step away
Rachmaninoff

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:31 am

Rachmaninoff wrote:on a positive thought, after 6-7 years... its a good reason to step away

How? Because he made a bad choice so he's just going to give up? Please.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby thatguy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:44 am

Let's not cast stones at Rokh. He knew the person for two years and he trusted him. He must have had some connection with the guy and probably knew him on some sort of personal level. It's not like he handed the guild over to someone that joined 25 minutes ago.

Was it a bad lapse in judgment? Probably, but saying it's Rokh's fault is missing the point entirely. The person in the wrong here is the usurper, not Rokh. We're human for goodness sake. Trusting someone shouldn't be viewed as a fault.

The other issue is that there is no consequence for something like this. In the real world, you call the police or bring a lawsuit against the person. The combination of Blizzard/GMs turning their backs on this behavior, the lucrative guild perks, and the International Fuckwad Theory, it makes me think that there is going to be lots more of this.
thatguy

Postby cerwillis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:07 am

The alternative is that Blizzard has to get involved in every guild politics issue and every ninja occurrence. This is why they don't take sides in such situations. They set up the rules so that you have to give away the GM seat, and pretty much call it a day there.

Sucks man. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:28 am

Rokh wrote:So I just gave guild lead to someone I had known for over 2 years, because he said he wanted to change a setting, because I trusted him.

he told me that he and his roommates wanted to make a guild together, but they didnt want to start from scratch.... so it seemed a good idea to just up and steal my level 18 guild.......

If he said that in chat or in writing, that sounds like something that should be petitionable. Talk to a GM about it, as this is akin to ninja-looting an item: Sure, he got it, but it was via fraud.
Kelaan

Postby thatguy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 am

cerwillis wrote:The alternative is that Blizzard has to get involved in every guild politics issue and every ninja occurrence. This is why they don't take sides in such situations. They set up the rules so that you have to give away the GM seat, and pretty much call it a day there.

You're right but now that we are dealing with the guild perks, I believe they should start thinking about this stuff before it happens to too many guilds and possibly some "high profile" guilds.
thatguy

Postby cerwillis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 am

thatguy wrote:
cerwillis wrote:The alternative is that Blizzard has to get involved in every guild politics issue and every ninja occurrence. This is why they don't take sides in such situations. They set up the rules so that you have to give away the GM seat, and pretty much call it a day there.

You're right but now that we are dealing with the guild perks, I believe they should start thinking about this stuff before it happens to too many guilds and possibly some "high profile" guilds.

The thing is, the only way for it to happen is if you GIVE away leadership, so it is something that is done by choice, not by accident. Unless they want to create some involved type of in-game legal system, they are only really obligated to provide a confirmation dialog, (if that).
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General