Remove Advertisements

Hydross adds, can Tankadins tank all four?

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Igrado » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:09 pm

Ilara wrote:gaaah man, working myself blind farming for the primals now >.< hell of a grind ahead.

IMO, grind DHS for gold, buy your mats off the AH or, even better, get a DPS guildie working on his epic flyer to grind them for you. A gauranteed purchase of 50 or more primals is a damn good deal, even if they knock off 10-20% off the AH prices for you.

For the Primal Life, grab any herbalist you can find and the two of you can farm the Treants in Skettis. He gets, the herbs, you get the primals, everyone wins.
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Postby adese » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:24 pm

Strom wrote:Both Auras (70) + Flask (25) + ???

There is actually a new level 70 resist flask that gives +35 to all resists (and +18 to all stats on top of that, it's really nice). You do need to be exalted with Violet Eye to get it, though.
adese

Postby Igrado » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:55 pm

@ Crusherus

When you did it with those stats, what buffs did you have.
Frost Aura and Nature Totem I assume.
I Also assume you hade GOTW.
Did you have a +25 or +35 Flask?
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Postby Rooke » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:11 pm

I realise this is about tanking all 4, but I've seen a couple of people talking about how they take 2 adds.

Any reason you're actually using any resistances at all (besides aura(s))? We've been doing Hydross for months now and have never bothered picking up resistance gear for the midget-tanks. I realise this puts "extra stress" on healers (cause healing is incredibly stressfull mmhmm), but it doesn't seem worth it when coupled against your AOE being able to go all out, sooner.

We've also been stunning one and judging the other (obviously the druid/warrior tank won't judge) and picking them up that way to remove any chance of healers pulling aggro/consecrate pulling aggro from hydross (yes I realise you can position it so it won't, but best not leaving such things to chance ;)).
Rooke

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:30 pm

http://wowdigger.com/character/view/27203#o4

I tried tweaking things here and there, and that's what I came up with. I haven't done it for real yet, but that's 12k hps unbuffed, uncrittable, and 310-315 resist to both when you tack on 70 auras + 35 flask. Timelapse shard ended up taking over for the pvp badge i previously had there.

I used S2 pvp items because I already have those. S3 would get you slightly (very slightly) more resilience and maybe let you squeak out a few hps, but it seemed very close to me.

Abysmal avoidance, but it's about 60% damage reduction per hit on average, and no chance for crits. Did I mention I don't like the resist system in WoW? :)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Crusherus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Igrado wrote:@ Crusherus

When you did it with those stats, what buffs did you have.
Frost Aura and Nature Totem I assume.
I Also assume you hade GOTW.
Did you have a +25 or +35 Flask?

I actually didn't have any resistance flasks. I just use the Shattrath flask of Fortification since it's useful for more than just that one fight. If your guild is learning the encounter however, a +35 resist flask is probably a good thing to have around. The chances of you wiping while learning this encounter because you went down while tanking all the adds is pretty low. 80-90% of the wipes will be from people pulling aggro on Hydross after a transition or the tank getting confused and not running him the right way. We had a pretty good laugh when our nature resist MT started running sideways when we called for the transition.

I usually only have frost aura and aspect of the wild to push my resistances to 245 frost and 235 nature. GOTW does not stack with those. All other standard raid buffs of course. Like I said, I did it my first successful kill with about 14k hp, 460 def, and 235/235 resist all buffed. I had no major problems whatsoever. You can probably do it with a little less and a little more healing.
Dragonmaw - US
Crusherus

Postby Puss » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:52 am

I tanked Hydross + 4 adds ( just AOE tank the whole bunch ) for the first time last week with 370 frost resistance without any problems at all. We AOE'd the adds down quick ( the extra damage from teh adds is nice to generate more threat ). We usually have them down before the hydross mark , so I have no idea how hard they really hit for once they get the 100% mark ( you prolly would get 1shotted if you got so far by 4 adds and hydross ). At the end of the 100% mark , about 10% into the 250% mark , I slowly pull him towards the poisoned area ( he hits me pretty hard at this stage, which regens my mana for the next pickup ).

The only downside of getting him a bit into phase 250% , is that sometimes 1-2 mages get nuked by the tomb. But it works really well this way. ( the mages tomb-die coz they stand ready to frost nova the poisoned adds , who are tanked by 2 druid tankzors ).

So : yes you can easily tank all 4 adds. I tank Hydross on top of the 4 adds, and I really don't get hit hard. Max out your Frost resist though, and make sure most of the adds go down before you get the mark gets too high :)

-Puss
Puss

Previous

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern