Remove Advertisements

Vortex pinnacle Heroic

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Vortex pinnacle Heroic

Postby Origon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:12 pm

3 Guildies and myself randomed it today, and to be honest, I didn't notice a difference. As I didn't know there were any changes, we stood in the very middle of him until the tornadoes came in and kicked us out. At that point our druid healer seemed to easily keep us above 75% while we kinda stood around scratching ourselves until the tornadoes went away (we had a full melee group and the healer). If you are having problems, try having your healer use his CDs for the first one (tree, goak, PW:barrier, w/e), and you use your DG for the 2nd one along with holy radiance, and just have them spamheal the 3rd
Origon

Postby rodos » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:24 pm

You seem to take damage continuously while you are outside the contracted shield. Not sure if this is intended, or if there's a way to avoid it. The healing required can be brutal.

There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that you want to be as close to the boss as possible without touching the tornadoes to minimize the damage. Not sure about the truth of that.
rodos

Postby PsiVen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:12 pm

It seems to me that you take damage from any tornadoes that you're within about 15yd of. Standing at the outside edge of the room, I only got hit by the boss while the melee were getting clobbered. I told everyone to GTFO away from tornadoes, which noticeably reduced the damage intake during that phase compared to what I saw in our first "oh shit this fight is different" run.

I think there is some sort of chain lightning going on, but the big problem is that people need to be running out on the same side because if you're staying away from the boss, everyone will be running out of healing range.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby DexterBelgium » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:10 am

Are you guys sure the chain lightning isn't from the lurking tempests that hang around the edge? Those are the same jokers you run into at the beginning of the instance: they disappear when looked at, so to avoid that damage at least, everyone should be looking in a different direction.

Haven't pugged it since the change tho, so can't really comment.

EDIT: for clarity, I know the cyclones themselves also blast out some lightning, but was just checking to see whether there wasn't any avoidable dmg going on.
DexterBelgium

Postby econ21 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Recount will show the damage of the Tempests, but that did not seem to be a large part of what was killing me. More troubling was the damage that was attributed to the "edge of the storm" or some such. It seemed to correspond to the chain lightning like damage you take when standing outside of the cyclon shield and stacked up to be sufficient to kill some of our dps. If there was some way to reduce that damage, it would be good to know as it seemed challenging. I will try moving to max distance next time. We tried staying together and keeping at a close distance (while still outside of the retracted shield), but that seemed disasterous.
econ21

Postby djlar » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:30 pm

We didn't have any problem with the "edge of the storm", most problems are from extra damage from the tempests, tank looks at one, healer at another (healer can face anywhere w/o healing loss), you shouldn't get more than 2.

My rogue was hardly pulling 10K Vs the 16K of the hunter, we had problems with wimpy DK doing 3K and I bet because he wasn't avoiding any tornadoes which debuff your attack speed severly.
djlar

Postby Flex » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:51 pm

djlar wrote:We didn't have any problem with the "edge of the storm", most problems are from extra damage from the tempests, tank looks at one, healer at another (healer can face anywhere w/o healing loss), you shouldn't get more than 2.

My rogue was hardly pulling 10K Vs the 16K of the hunter, we had problems with wimpy DK doing 3K and I bet because he wasn't avoiding any tornadoes which debuff your attack speed severly.

Pretty sure runes are still affected by negative haste effects. So anything that makes you attack slower makes your runes refresh slower as well.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby PsiVen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:12 am

After another run, it's not a chain lightning. It's an AoE called Ertan's Vortex, stack up and heal through it.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Flex » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:02 pm

I feel like I'm the only person in the world that never just stacked up on the boss. We always pulled out and grouped up to heal through it.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Chicken » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Flex wrote:I feel like I'm the only person in the world that never just stacked up on the boss. We always pulled out and grouped up to heal through it.
Always did that too, I was under the impression that you'd take the AoE damage anyway regardless of whether you stayed close or not, so by staying close you just made things harder on the healer due to the cast speed debuff.
Chicken

Postby rodos » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:10 pm

Chicken wrote:
Flex wrote:I feel like I'm the only person in the world that never just stacked up on the boss. We always pulled out and grouped up to heal through it.
Always did that too, I was under the impression that you'd take the AoE damage anyway regardless of whether you stayed close or not, so by staying close you just made things harder on the healer due to the cast speed debuff.

If you stayed inside his hitbox you didn't get the debuff at all. It was pretty trivial really.

I guess now it's just a case of blowing some healing cooldowns during the AoE phase. Divine Favor + Holy Radiance is a nice one, and maybe GanK for the the second one to drop a double HL on each member.

WTB: Nature resistance on Resistance Aura so I can AM it.
rodos

Previous

Return to Normal and Heroic 5-Man Dungeons