Alternative to Autobar?

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Alternative to Autobar?

Postby Katatonia » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:20 am

I've been using Autobar for years now, because it was originally made by a member of my guild at the time (Saien). He has long since stopped supporting it, and there have been some good changes in the meantime by Toadkiller and the other people who picked it up, like switching to Ace2, adding in the Rock-style configuration screen, etc. At the same time, it also seems to have become a bloated mess as far as memory usage and feature creep go. It's by far the biggest memory hog I have installed in my UI.

Does anyone know of another mod with similar features? I mainly just use it for food, water, potions, healthstones, and other misc. consumables so that I can bind a single key to a category and clicking it uses the most appropriate thing. I don't care about any of the other stuff, like quest items, spells, trinkets, mounts, tradeskills, mini-pets, etc. Basically, an Autobar 'Lite' that only has the features of the original mod, but Ace'd. I've looked on the wowace site without much success.
Katatonia

Postby Lore » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:51 am

As a side note, I absolutely HATE the Rock configuration screen, I dunno who thought that was a good idea but I hope they feel really bad about themselves as a person.

More on topic, I'm not aware of an autobar-style mod, but there are some inventory enhancement mods (such as Baggins) that can categorize your inventory and make things easier to find in a hurry. That's what I use for food etc. For other stuff I have a bar that I just drag whatever I'm going to need for a given fight out onto ahead of time. I made a macro for healthstones (/use Master Healthstone) so I only have one button to push for all 3; it doesn't always use the biggest one first but meh.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Rooke » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:08 pm

I'm just wondering what your RAM is like? To be honest, if you're running 2gig+ I'd not worry at all about your addon's memory usage.

BTW; Rock is CK's framework (The guy who created Parrot, CowTip, Pitbull etc) alternative to Ace3. I also hate the framework, but his addons are generally awesome so I'm willing to get by until there's a viable alternative.

I don't really think there's any autobar-esk mod out there purely because Autobar does its job.
Rooke

Postby Katatonia » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:46 pm

I'm mainly trying to trim down my ui from the 70MB or so that it rises to during an instance with Recount running. I like Recount for identifying pug players who are dead weight, and for advising guild dps on how to perform better, so dropping that isn't really an option.

Autobar being the single largest memory hog was an obvious target since I find myself turning off every new "feature" that gets added to it lately. I guess since there's no real alternatives, I'm going to try going back to the non-beta version and disallow WAU from updating it for me and see how that goes.

Thanks for the tips anyway.
Katatonia

Postby Aevie » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:28 pm

Katatonia wrote:Autobar being the single largest memory hog was an obvious target since I find myself turning off every new "feature" that gets added to it lately. I guess since there's no real alternatives, I'm going to try going back to the non-beta version and disallow WAU from updating it for me and see how that goes.

I hear ya... everytime I run WAU and see an AutoBar update I cringe because I expect the worst :[

<3
Aevie
Aevie

Postby Levantine » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:46 pm

ZOMG Aevie!

Anywho, that's pretty much the reason I don't use Autobar.... It scares my 1gig of RAM. =[
Levantine

Postby Rooke » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:57 am

Katatonia wrote:I'm mainly trying to trim down my ui from the 70MB or so that it rises to during an instance with Recount running. I like Recount for identifying pug players who are dead weight, and for advising guild dps on how to perform better, so dropping that isn't really an option.

Tried Assessment? It's by far (imo) the best meter-addon out there atm. It lacks all those pretty graph-based bells and whistles of recount, but does give you a nifty breakdown of pretty much anything that happens (will tell you just how each person died, what abilities they're using etc etc).
Rooke

Postby Balsimar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:08 pm

Rooke wrote:
Katatonia wrote:I'm mainly trying to trim down my ui from the 70MB or so that it rises to during an instance with Recount running. I like Recount for identifying pug players who are dead weight, and for advising guild dps on how to perform better, so dropping that isn't really an option.

Tried Assessment? It's by far (imo) the best meter-addon out there atm. It lacks all those pretty graph-based bells and whistles of recount, but does give you a nifty breakdown of pretty much anything that happens (will tell you just how each person died, what abilities they're using etc etc).

Assessment is great, but it's not for the squeemish (read: better have time on your hands when you put it in, so you can get used to using it)

For the autobar replacement: can always try PT3Bar (also on ace) which is very lightweight, has no in-game config (you write your own, but it isn't very hard) and only works with items.
Balsimar

Postby Katatonia » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:10 pm

Balsimar wrote:Assessment is great, but it's not for the squeemish (read: better have time on your hands when you put it in, so you can get used to using it)

For the autobar replacement: can always try PT3Bar (also on ace) which is very lightweight, has no in-game config (you write your own, but it isn't very hard) and only works with items.

Playing with both of these right now, thanks Rooke/Balsimar.

PT3bar is definitely a keeper, not sure about Assessment yet since I'll have to do a heroic to see exactly how it performs compared to Recount. I'm not seeing how exact to get an overall picture of dps performance rather than just a fight-by-fight basis, which is something I like in heroic groups. For my guild raids I think Assessment could be good for getting WWS parse style data immediately though.
Katatonia

Postby Balsimar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:21 pm

Katatonia wrote: I'm not seeing how exact to get an overall picture of dps performance rather than just a fight-by-fight basis, which is something I like in heroic groups.

I believe you want it set to show "average dps" for that. Keep in mind you can also create multiple windows if you'd like to show different things, and the rulesets for each view are configurable.

One of the primary reasons I've kept assessment installed, is for the death replays. I love them, especially when someone tries to say I died because I'm not a warrior. :)

Good luck to you!
Balsimar

Postby Kaelie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:43 pm

Hmm, I'll have to try PT3Bar. I was ready to trash Autobar for a bit, but it got better slowly. The issue now, though, is that Autobar simply will not dynamically update. I have to refresh after every few drinks or when I pop a pot, so I know what I actually have.
Kaelie

Postby Aevie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:24 pm

Kaelie wrote:Hmm, I'll have to try PT3Bar. I was ready to trash Autobar for a bit, but it got better slowly. The issue now, though, is that Autobar simply will not dynamically update. I have to refresh after every few drinks or when I pop a pot, so I know what I actually have.

I think it has to do with Autobar not being able to update itself in combat... which makes it practically useless. If I have to open my bags to pop a potion, I've already wasted too much time :[

Of course, that may not be the case and I may just be very bad at clicking my healthstone & health pot in a pinch situation (on my shadow priest).

<3
Aevie
Aevie

Postby lusisia » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:44 am

Aevie wrote:
Kaelie wrote:Hmm, I'll have to try PT3Bar. I was ready to trash Autobar for a bit, but it got better slowly. The issue now, though, is that Autobar simply will not dynamically update. I have to refresh after every few drinks or when I pop a pot, so I know what I actually have.

I think it has to do with Autobar not being able to update itself in combat... which makes it practically useless. If I have to open my bags to pop a potion, I've already wasted too much time :[

Of course, that may not be the case and I may just be very bad at clicking my healthstone & health pot in a pinch situation (on my shadow priest).

<3
Aevie

I've never had any of these problems with Autobar that everyone else is reporting. My biggest problem right now is that mage biscuits don't show up as a consumable ;)
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Rooke » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:19 pm

The reason you can't use potions in-combat is because you've hit the end of a stack. This is something caused by the Lua version changed (afaik) and is gonna occur whatever you do.

Same with food I'd guess.
Rooke

Postby Aevie » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:22 pm

lusisia wrote:I've never had any of these problems with Autobar that everyone else is reporting. My biggest problem right now is that mage biscuits don't show up as a consumable ;)

Make sure your "Food Combo" button is enabled (and that the number of buttons/bars allows it to show).

<3
Aevie
Aevie

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros