lvl 85 tank comparison?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: lvl 85 tank comparison?

Postby sculder » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:37 am

Zibey wrote:I also don't think you can say paladin LACKS aoe threat - I certainly didn't run into problems with it in my heroic experience, but maybe in raid? How are other classes better?

AE threat is not the issue per se, it's more of an issue with snap AE threat (and snap threat in general)
sculder

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:17 pm

bldavis wrote:pally - self heals

And by "self heals" he means "30% of your own healing, and sniping heals on low people that are in range". Seeing that "my" healer got to spend that mana healing on someone else? Priceless. I pretty much only use ShoR early on or in heroism phases, it seems like.
Kelaan

Postby Vcaudta » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:20 pm

I'm shocked this discussion hasn't been ranted on by someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
Vcaudta

Postby Vigilant » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Vcaudta wrote:I'm shocked this discussion hasn't been ranted on by someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Just curious what would change, in this case. I was actually enjoying reading the thread. :)
Vigilant

Postby Chunes » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 am

I haven't really seen or felt a real significant difference between any of the tank classes from a healing perspective if gear is equivalent between comparisons.

Anecdotally, my DK co-tank was taking overall less damage than I was last night in our farm content owing mostly to the buffs to the blood shield mechanics (stacking now, not overwriting) and my being reforged away from mastery in favor of hit/expertise. Threat and never missing is a quality of life thing for me. If we're on farm content, I don't really care about min/maxing my survivability.

I'm sure tomorrow when we get back to chimaeron hard mode attempts and I'm all mastery'ed out again we'll be pretty similar in damage taken.
Chunes

Postby Astronii » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:02 am

i havent read up on chimeron hm but if its anything similar to normal, is mastery necesary? would have thought parry dodge would win there?
Astronii

Postby bldavis » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:35 am

from my expirience warriors have more mobility, but pallies have near-constant 30% block and self heals

bears get.........thrash is fun for trash (*giggle* :shock: :oops: )

and im in the process of leveling dk, but for the most part all the tanks have a snap-aoe ability

warriors have shockwave/t-clap
druids have thrash/swipe (not as good, but it works)
DKs have D&D/bloodboil
pallys have holy wrath

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Lieris » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:11 am

I haven't been keeping up to date with forums for a couple of months now (outside of raiding WoW bores me) so I could be horribly off in saying this based just on my experiences but... paladins are amazing main tanks right now, on comparable fights I take a bit over half the damage my warrior and DK co-tanks do. I am the healers' favourite. My AOE threat sucks and Crusader Strike misses are really annoying now but who cares when we are mitigation and self healing monsters.

Or my co-tanks are doing something horribly wrong or maybe I have found some sort of cheat code, I dunno.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:59 pm

bldavis wrote:from my expirience warriors have more mobility, but pallies have near-constant 30% block and self heals

bears get.........thrash is fun for trash (*giggle* :shock: :oops: )

and im in the process of leveling dk, but for the most part all the tanks have a snap-aoe ability

warriors have shockwave/t-clap
druids have thrash/swipe (not as good, but it works)
DKs have D&D/bloodboil
pallys have holy wrath/hotr

fify
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:45 am

ffs
ok ok i admit i dont play my pally much!!!!

/cry

and if you add in HotR, you might as well add unglyphed AS

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:09 am

bldavis wrote:ffs
ok ok i admit i dont play my pally much!!!!

/cry

and if you add in HotR, you might as well add unglyphed AS

HotR doesn't have a target limit (last I checked, or at least not one you're likely to have to worry about at this stage), AS does (as does HS for DKs, Swipe for bears, and Cleave for warriors), which is why I didn't add it.

Edit: I guess for that matter DnD is a slightly better version of Consecrate, so if you consider DnD "snap aggro" then Cons should probably fall into that as well.
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:36 am

so basically the only true snap threat aoe abilities are

Warrior - Thunderclap and shockwave
DK - Bloodboil
Pally - Holy Wrath and HotR
Druid - Thrash

im not counting D&D and COns as most of thier threat comes from a dot (is it still a dot of the mob is able to just move out of it?)
and hte reason i didnt say HotR before is, as i have said, i havent played my pally much, and i was stuck on the wrath version
:oops:

bldavis

Postby Loras » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:54 am

Yeah, Holy Wrath for sure... No scaling from vengeance and dropping numbers for more targets. 500 hit per target is hardly a snap aggro tool compared to a 20k shockwave...
Loras

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:04 am

I'm not berating you (or at least not attempting to, if that's how it's coming across.) Just was trying to assist in making a full list :).

And, I believe, as far as recount is concerned, cons/dnd are considered dots (they tick for damage, though it's restricted by area, as opposed to specific targets.)

Loras wrote:Yeah, Holy Wrath for sure... No scaling from vengeance and dropping numbers for more targets. 500 hit per target is hardly a snap aggro tool compared to a 20k shockwave...
It's not necessarily the best snap aggro, but it certainly helps (since most people are ramping up their "rotations", plus when combined with the stun {on applicable mobs}, allows you to HotR or Cons as well.)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Tantrim » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:22 am

Skye1013 wrote:Edit: I guess for that matter DnD is a slightly better version of Consecrate, so if you consider DnD "snap aggro" then Cons should probably fall into that as well.

I think the DnD tool tip still says does a large amount of threat.. consecrate doesnt as i recall (though to be honest i dont really read tooltips all that much)

That might make a difference for at the very least the potential quality of the snap threat if my recollections are correct. Unless that is that consecrate really does that much more damage which i strongly doubt.. as in a pala tank with consecrate only ticking versus a death knight dps with death and decay only leaves the death knight pulling aggro is my guess
Tantrim

PreviousNext

Return to General