Remove Advertisements

[10] Heroic Atramedes

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Heroic Atramedes

Postby Belloc » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:59 am

Differences:
You have a maximum of 7 gongs and Obnoxious Fiends will spawn throughout the fight. Essentially, if you can't kill him by the 4th air phase, you will wipe.

Strategy:

Ground Phase:

Choose one side of the boss and spread your raid out on that side (the reason will become clear when I get to the air phase). Melee and ranged need to be at max range and you want to ensure that your melee are not getting parried, because dps actually matters.

Sonic Breath: How you react to this cast should depend on where you are positioned. If you are positioned to the left of the group, kite the flame clockwise. If you are positioned to the right, kite counter-clockwise. Everyone nearby should take note of where you were when the cast began and either get behind it so that they miss it entirely, or run with/in front of you if they cannot make it behind in time. This is easy, but you will probably need to practice it.

Searing Flame: Two full ticks of Searing Flame will kill people and you will probably get two ticks a lot of the time. If you can afford it, have your gong clicker be someone with very low latency and very fast reaction time. Always use all of your raid survival cooldowns immediately before Searing Flame. Divine Guardian + Aura Mastery will be available for every cast and they will prevent deaths if your raid is handling the rest of the fight properly. This is, in my opinion, the most important part of this guide, so USE IT.

Edit: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... icker.aspx
This addon causes a semi-transparent box to appear on your screen about 5 seconds before Searing Flame, completely nullifying your clicks. This box will disappear the moment Searing Flame is being cast (it checks the combat log entry). Using this addon will allow you to spam click on a gong without activating it until you actually need it, guaranteeing a single tick of Searing Flame (instead of 2 ticks).

Obnoxious Fiends: These will be spawned every now and then from little purple/black circles on the floor. They cast an interruptable spell that applies sound to their target. Assign a ranged DPS to interrupt the first cast if melee are out of range. They will focus on a target, chase it, and jump on it. They are invalid targets until they reach their target, so do not attempt to attack or run away until they have attached. They will not display nameplates, so you will need a /target obnox button set up to reliably target them. Communicate in Vent if you see one spawning! One of the most frustrating things that you, as a player, can do while a fiend is attached is run away from your melee. They only have about 150k health, so kill them quickly and get back to the boss.

Air phase:

Roaring Flame Breath: Be running before he targets his first breath victim. If you are not running when he targets you, you are dead. Kite the fire to the north of the room (towards the bell). Do NOT kite the fire to the side of the room that had been open in the previous phase, because you will be positioned there next. Hit the gong at the appropriate time and kite north again.

Sonar Bomb: These will hit the ground almost immediately after the graphic hits. If you have good reaction time, you can continue casting during this phase, but you must move the moment you see the ground effect. Also, don't screw yourself by being too near another player and potentially running into his sonar bomb. Always know where your exit is and go there. If you don't have good reaction time, be running for the entire phase.

Next Ground Phase:

Position on the side of the room opposite of where you were previously positioned. This side should be mostly clean of fire. Repeat everything above.

Notes:

We originally tried stacking up during ground phases, but we ran into issues where almost everyone would have their sound jump up for no apparent reason. This may have just been poor play, but we think there might have been some buggy behavior or mechanics that we were unaware of. Either way, it stopped happening when we decided to spread out on one side, so we stuck with that strategy.

Bad things will happen and you will just have to deal with it. Sometimes you'll be on the left side of the group and have to dodge to the right to avoid a sonar pulse... and you'll get targeted by a Sonic Breath while you are running to the right. How do you handle this? Just keep running to the right and hope that the rest of your raid is paying enough attention, because there's nothing else you can do.
Last edited by Belloc on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belloc

Re: [10] Heroic Atramedes

Postby PsiVen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:21 pm

I thought it was 5 gongs / kill him by the 3rd air phase. Certainly seemed like we had enough DPS for that mark when we pulled him a couple times last night.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Belloc » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:40 pm

There's no doubt about it, we used 7 gongs -- 1 during each ground phase and 1 during each air phase. He died during the 4th ground phase.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rlgn33ej ... 188&e=8629

It is possible to kill him with 5 gongs, but I wouldn't count on it.
Belloc

Postby PsiVen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:38 am

I'm pretty sure we wound up 6 gongs on our kill this week. I guess it's just RNG whether he decides to burn an extra one (meaning you will sometimes get screwed with only 5).
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Técaro » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:20 pm

We had 7 during our kill last night. We also used the collective bunching up strat with no random sound gains being recorded. We killed it with about 20s left on the last ground phase, given the 3 melee DPS and one being dead for about 50% I don't think the enrage should be a problem. The fight took us a lot longer than it should've I still think, but it's dead atleast.
Técaro

Postby inthedrops » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:36 pm

We've had the random sound bug on 25H, even recorded it in a fraps video. It happened right after someone pulled agro from me and before I taunted back. No modulation or searing flame, just a bunch of people instantly getting super high sound and a few of them hitting 100. No idea what caused it. Happened within about 40 seconds of the pull probably.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Xenorun » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:21 am

inthedrops wrote:We've had the random sound bug on 25H, even recorded it in a fraps video. It happened right after someone pulled agro from me and before I taunted back. No modulation or searing flame, just a bunch of people instantly getting super high sound and a few of them hitting 100. No idea what caused it. Happened within about 40 seconds of the pull probably.

I have not yet attempted this fight on Heroic, so what I say may have no ground. However, during a 10 man run (last week?), we noticed players were instantly getting full sound meters over and over and over. We still have no idea what exactly was causing this to happen, but it was. I sent in a GM ticket about it, and they responded saying "Its a known bug". So it just kinda happens from time to time, normal or heroic mode I guess.
Xenorun

Postby 99sitr » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:47 pm

inthedrops wrote:We've had the random sound bug on 25H, even recorded it in a fraps video. It happened right after someone pulled agro from me and before I taunted back. No modulation or searing flame, just a bunch of people instantly getting super high sound and a few of them hitting 100. No idea what caused it. Happened within about 40 seconds of the pull probably.

Inthedrops we had a healer get smacked by this bug last lockout albeit normal mode, but it was exactly what you described and it was rather expedient in the beginning of the fight after the 1st modulation.
99sitr

Postby Shadowguyver » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:25 pm

We did it last week having the entire raid spread out around him and didn't notice any instant full sound problems.
Shadowguyver

Postby Milius » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 am

We did this last night with,
1 tank - blood dk
3 healers, holy priest, holy paladin, resto shsman
6 dps - me (ret offspec), 2 MM hunters, 1 unholy dk, 1 destro lock, 1 fire mage.

the dps requirements seem quite lose, 1 of our hunters died shortly before the first air phase, so we beat down 3/4 of the bosses health with only 5 DPS.

our kill video (Blood DK PoV) should give basic view of how stuff whent down -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... S4d33J_1Ww
Milius

Postby Belloc » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Attention Gong Clickers:

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... icker.aspx

This addon will put an unclickable, almost completely transparent box over most of your screen about 5 seconds before Searing Flame is cast. The moment that your combat log registers that Atramedes has started casting Searing Flame, this box will disappear, allowing your clicks to register.

Using this last night, we never had more than 1 tick of searing flame.

Use it. It's awesome!
Belloc

Postby Strendarr » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:28 pm

If the person with low latency and fast reactions happens to be yourself, you can set it up to have YOU be the one clicking the gongs. That's what we do and it works fine. One side of him is kept towards the gongs, the other side towards the open room. Our raid is in 3 separate groups on the open room side. I hit divine guardian just as his timer is coming up and I'm the one to click the gong. Works pretty well.
Strendarr

Postby mosa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:47 am

We put attempts into this last night and were doing it via the tankspot method. Where the ranged group is stacked and moved left/right to avoid the poles, and then kite the tracking flame based on which side they are on.

We were having issues with the searing flame, it seemed between that and modulation it was just too much damage, even with Divine Guardian and Aura Mastery up... Any suggestions on what we can refine to make this fight a bit more manageable?
mosa

Postby Ezelyn » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:03 am

mosa wrote:We put attempts into this last night and were doing it via the tankspot method. Where the ranged group is stacked and moved left/right to avoid the poles, and then kite the tracking flame based on which side they are on.
We were having issues with the searing flame, it seemed between that and modulation it was just too much damage, even with Divine Guardian and Aura Mastery up... Any suggestions on what we can refine to make this fight a bit more manageable?

We have tried that way and we died exactly as you die.
So now, we are playing FFA on a side of the drake (only one side to be close enought for demons)
It works better, cant understand why but the raid takes less dammage.

Btw if you can bring a disci priest, it's pretty OP to have Group Shield on this fight.
Less dammage => less sound => less dammage the next time etc...
Ezelyn

Postby Belloc » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 am

We split our raid on one side of the boss -- no stacking. Kite the breath either to the tail or head and make sure that the raid reacts properly.

If your raid is avoiding unnecessary sound gains, modulation and searing flame should not kill anyone. So, it sounds like your raid is taking additional sound or that your healing is lacking.
Belloc

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)