Remove Advertisements

Impact of HP generation nerf on gearing

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Impact of HP generation nerf on gearing

Postby Digren » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Dilvish wrote:I've swapped to a sword instead of an axe (they were pretty close anyway...might as well get the racial). Otherwise kept things the same as before. We are a very casual raid guild with only 3 bosses down so far so I don't think it will be much of an issue with us.

Yeah, I picked up an iLvl 346 sword to replace a same-level axe. Stat-wise I lost 20 mastery rating, but switched the secondary stat from crit-reforged-to-dodge to more-hit-reforged-to-more-dodge. I consider than a very small and reasonable price to pay for 3 expertise.

Besides that, and switching seals, I've done nothing, and I think my threat is fine. Hence, I'll continue to recommend against any other changes.
Digren

Postby theckhd » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Solare wrote:Has anyone found a reverse experience? Some pulls or fights where it's advisable to use Inquisition?

I use it all the time.
  • Pretty much every pull starts with DP->Inq->AW+AS->J->939. I used to be a staunch supporter of Pull->3xCS->AW+SotR->DP->SotR until we worked out the math and found out it was worse than DP->Inq->pull. Since then, I've converted.
  • Any time we're AoE-ing down a group of mobs where there's no one defined primary target (Maloriak adds, many pulls in random heroics).
  • Any time I'm AoE-tanking and my threat on the primary target is secure, to boost total damage done over all targets or total threat on secondary targets.
  • When I miss 2 or 3 SotRs in a row and get annoyed.

As with anything, it's a tool. You could certainly play without it, but knowing that it's part of your toolbox and using it wisely will make you stronger. I wonder to myself how many of the tanks that complain about low AoE threat aren't prioritizing Inq+HotR; those two alone are enough to hold AoE aggro off of just about anything short of a direct assault on an off-target.

(And even then, I've had cases where Inq+HotR+AS bounce+Cons was able to keep aggro over a moderately-geared DPS attacking the wrong target, especially with a full stack of Vengeance. And remember, I run with 1% hit and 3 expertise!)
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Arizair » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:12 am

Licence to Slay is an outstanding sub-in for hit boost trinket that also provides at least a little parry too. I find it easy to use it plus a HP trinket and still be competitive on EH to other tanks in similar gear, though I plan to drop the HP trinket now for the Hellscream trinket once I gain enough marks. I've been running at around 8% hit and 26 expertise so I can be a stable interrupt source but it really depends on your unique raiding environment.
Stable Holy Power generation and a self-WoG with the Prime Glyph is probably worth the CTC I lose on some fights but for normal modes it's about the same either way... You can help your healers by taking less damage or by dealing more damage. I guess I like big numbers too, but I can't lie that I'm happy to be able to intterupt.
Arizair

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice