Remove Advertisements

[25] Heroic Magmaw

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Heroic Magmaw

Postby inthedrops » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:54 am

Looking for some tips on the new version.

We spent a night on it tonight. I feel like there's room to optimize but I can't come up with any ideas. Best we got was 17%. The enrage is very generous now, and it seems you can no longer kite the skeletons (can't be slowed, stunned, or kited out of the room)

We have 4 tanks. Two rotate on Magmaw. One kites parasites, one tanks the skeletons. After many wipes seeing how many skeletons we'd get before a P2 if we ignored them (6 to 8 is the number for us I believe), we decided to kill some. We are currently killing the first two skeletons before the first head phase. Then in the proceeding "in between" head phases we're killing only one. We'd be ignoring remaining adds entirely in P2. We were blowing hero at the first head phase but chances are we'll stop doing that and use it in P2 instead.

I wonder if there's a way to make this work with fewer tanks? I believe we brought 7 healers.

We're close to a kill, and it was only our first night of attempts. But something feels not quite right.

Keep in mind the patch completely changed the fight.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Re: [25] Heroic Magmaw

Postby Belloc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:41 am

Thank you for the enrage details! That was my biggest concern for our 10-man.
Belloc

Postby Treck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:13 pm

I kinda liked the old version more :P
But thisone might not be that stupid, since kiting the adds to the Omnotrons never made much sense.
No fire from adds makes the whole fight different.

Anyway, just like before we used 2 tanks + frost DP kiting parasites.
Not wasting any dps on killing the parasites, theres no point and the DK can kite forever.

We thought about working on a strat with just OTing the big adds in a corner, and just nuking the boss down, but tanking/killing them wasnt that much of an issue so got it in just a few tries.
We mostly killed adds during the normal phase, and nuking only head during that phase.
We never had more than 2 adds up at once, in fact one was always pretty much at 20% and preparing to explode when the 2nd was one spawning, so the dmg on the addtank was never high from what i noticed.

Tanking 2 constructs + magmaw with 50% reduced armor for the last minute and a half was doable.

You prolly wanna save hero for the last phase, your going to have to do p1 without hero atleast one rotation, so if you can do one, you can do both.
There doesnt spawn any new Constructs in P3, but the aoedamage is enough reason for the healers to want hero at that point, to both heal people up faster aswell as for the dps to get past that phase faster meaning less healing required obviously.

Anyone else had mangle hitting for over 100k right when your getting picked up?
Treck

Postby pfunkmort » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:13 pm

yes on mangle. I started CDing a few seconds beforehand and it hasn't been as bad.

we had put in a few attempts prior to patch day, but hadn't made it that far. now, it seems a lot more forgiving, although we battled DCs all night. we're going with something very similar to what paperplate is talking about. but we're killing the first two (with all dps on them), and then around that time the head's coming down. Burn the head, rinse/repeat. On our best attempts we got to about 25%. What we're finding is that we're getting (assuming hero on the first exposed head) 4 heads before we push into p3. I think you could do that without burning hero, but you'd have to be pretty good about maximizing dps and keeping cleave on magmaw wherever possible. I think at that point, with about 25% we had about 2.5-3 minutes remaining for that last phase? Doable even burning hero early, but the damage output is such I wonder if the healers can handle it. We are 8 healing it, so if you can handle it with 7, all the better.
[2.Trade][Alessan]: Is WoW becoming an online kart racer in 4.0.3?
[2.Trade][Tehron]: Yes
pfunkmort

Postby inthedrops » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:56 pm

Treck wrote:Anyone else had mangle hitting for over 100k right when your getting picked up?

Yes! 99k something.

Thanks for the post, I looked at your logs too. We'll need a dedicated Skeleton tank still as we won't be able to push the kind of DPS your raid does (we'll have more potential Skeletons alive as the fight progresses into P2)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Sparan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:14 pm

This fight is fairly easy, now, in comparison to where it was. Overall I'd rank difficulty as being around Maloriak or Chimaeron level (before I would say it was somewhat tougher than either).

In any event, the amount of time you spend in combat should be mostly irrelevant to your skelly plan, really. We were killing exactly 2 skellies per non-head phase and having all dps on the head during head phase (high DPET casters would tab dot to adds regardless of whether or not it was a head phase). This way you never really get backed up on skellies at any point in the boss.

It took us 3 head phases to push below 30% (in fact we wound up getting him to 15-ish on the third head phase), and once we got past the transition we whittled the skelly count down to exactly 2 remaining (a safe number for any moderately geared tank) and then assigned all DPS to the boss until the end of the fight.

Really there's not much more to the strat, tbh... Anyway, hope this helps!
Sparan

Postby Boyfriend » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:39 pm

Had a skeleton add tank and about 3 skeletons up when we went to P2, which was no problem to tank, even 4 would have been fine. So no worries if your dps is low, just kill some skeletons between head phases and you should have a managable number for P2.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby pfunkmort » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:26 pm

we finished (8 healing) with at least a minute or two on enrage. We made sure to only have 2 adds on the add tank (unless he had a cd up or something) through either direct damage, or cleave. we tried to only have dps on magmaw during the head phases - pushed on the fourth - no real problem.
[2.Trade][Alessan]: Is WoW becoming an online kart racer in 4.0.3?
[2.Trade][Tehron]: Yes
pfunkmort

Postby sakkdaddy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:49 am

Do the skeleton adds cleave or anything? If not, you might as well just tank them next to the boss for easy cleave damage and targeting. Even if they do cleave, smart positioning should be able to give you a lot of free dps on both the adds and Magmaw.

I was debating Omnitron vs Atramedes as our next heroic after about 2 hours of practice on each this week, but if this is really comparable to Maloriak and Chimaeron then maybe it should be next in line.

How do you compare the difficulty of this with Atramedes and Omnitron after the patch?
sakkdaddy

Postby Treck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:56 am

Skeletons do cleave, i think its called fiery slash (?) and its only firedmg if i remember correcly, you can still tank them close to meele tho just not ontop.

Omnotrons might be easier than before, since they got less hp, but its still the same fight, just goes on a bit shorter, giving you less time to fuck up.

Atramedes is pretty silly easy now tho, its basicly normalmode, with the add, fight is the same just ramped up slightly. If your having no trouble with him on normal, heroic shouldnt be that hard for you to get.
Treck

Postby Boyfriend » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:16 am

Treck wrote:Skeletons do cleave, i think its called fiery slash (?) and its only firedmg if i remember correcly, you can still tank them close to meele tho just not ontop.

I don't think fiery slash hits more than 1 target, it certainly has the cleave visual effect, but I tanked skeletons on top of melee several times and during our entire night (14 wipes 1 kill) I could not find a single instance where fiery slash hit more than 1 target in the log.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Sparan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 am

Fairly sure it does cleave as I've raped several range with it trying to move the adds around.
Sparan

Postby Belloc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 am

Something else was raping those ranged. I just checked our 10-man logs and haven't seen any occurrences of 2+ people getting hit by an attack at the same time. This includes when our tank has died and the add is running wild and hitting people that are not spread out.

So, maybe we were just really good at spreading out (we weren't... we were learning the fight), but I'm not seeing anything cleaving.
Belloc

Postby pdrayton » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:01 pm

Question about the Magmaw/Construct tanking plan for HM.

How many tanks are needed for the combination of Magmaw + the constructs - is it 1 on the constructs and 2 on Magmaw, swapping at Mangles? Or can you just have 2 tanks sharing Magmaw & constructs? Also, what should the taunt and/or cooldown plan be for Mangles?

Edit: naturally we will continue to have a DPS DK kiting the parasites with no DPS on them.
Last edited by pdrayton on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdrayton

Postby Arianne » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:15 pm

I only see people kiting the parasites. Is it feasible to kill them on heroic? What about tanking them?
Arianne

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)