Help evaluating a resto druid

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Help evaluating a resto druid

Postby Shathus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Had our first run with the new healer last night. Can't complain, almost no wipes, and everyone else is very familiar with the content at this point (was his first time). Other two healers were a Holy Priest and Shaman. Looking back at the logs, his overheal was about 28% (the other two were both at ~20%) and his top 3 heals were rejuv, lifebloom and wild growth (not necessarily in that order).

Now healing assignments obviously play a roll here in that he was assigned to raid/group for all bosses, but I'm wondering if he's stuck too much just casting HoTs. I also noticed he seemed to be having mana issues through-out many of the fights (is in 345 level gear at this point).

My initial inclination is that he isn't sticking to his assignment as much. He had a lot of healing on the tanks (on Omnitron he basically would cast 3x LB on a tank, get out a rejuv/WG then once it bloomed, 3x LB one of the tanks again), and that some raid members only received 2-5% of his healing, which seemed low to me seeing as how he was supposed to be on the raid. Nourish and Regrowth usage seemed low, even if responsible for raid, but I haven't really healed on my druid since Wrath, so I don't know if my assessment is accurate or not.

logs - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l5an ... dashboard/ name - Shiftty

Maybe I'll just shift him to tank heals since he likes to do that anyway it seems :)
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Re: Help evaluating a resto druid

Postby Hokahey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:38 am

While I can't look at your parse right now, I *can* say that the changes from 4.0 onward have had a drastic impact on how Resto Druids operate. Lifebloom is now a single target spell, except when in ToL form, and is the primary underpinning for the tree's mana regen and efficiency gimmicks (even moreso since 4.0.6). Lifebloom procs Replenishment and now is the only heal that procs Omen of Clarity. Nourish and Healing Touch (and Regrowth now, as of 4.0.6) casts refresh the Lifebloom timer on the target. Symbiosis (the Resto Druid mastery) raises the healing of a given spell cast against a target with a HoT already on them. Basically, the mechanics in place for Druids heavily enforce single target healing right now with splash healing from WG, and Rejuv when appropriate. This is not to say that raid healing is out of the question for Restoration, but it bears little resemblance to the Restoration Druid you may remember in ICC.

It simply makes the most sense, for the sake of efficiency, to roll Lifebloom on someone you know will likely be taking consistent damage, so that you get the benefit of Replenishment and OoC procs throughout an encounter, and the mana expended to cast Lifebloom actually does some healing, too. Wild Growth is a "smart" heal, so it picks the 6 people at lowest HP in range of the target (I've even had it ignore the person I actually targeted with the spell, in favor of others, even pets, who were at lower health), and the best hpm returns on Rejuv will come from putting it on those affected by WG, for the bonus healing from Symbiosis.

The general consensus of the "experts" on Druid healing is that Nourish is a very niche spell at the moment, and therefore almost useless in practical terms (too small in size, too slow, not efficient enough, and no extra utility not brought by HT). Healing Touch is just plain better for most scenarios where a direct heal is needed, Rejuv is better for pretty much anything else. Regrowth is monumentally inefficient, the Druid equivalent to Flash of Light, so a Druid who wasn't making much use of either of those is actually "doing it right", *particularly* if they were having mana problems. In fact, Rejuv, Lifebloom, and WG (not necessarily in that order) *should* be the top 3 spells for raid healing with a Resto Druid.

Overhealing could be produced by any number of things, but with Restoration Druids there's a good chance that the people they put a HoT on were healed to full by another healer before the HoT's duration completed, or the Druid put HoTs on people pre-emptively who didn't end up taking damage (a common one is Lifebloom on a tank with frequent tank swapping, and the Lifebloom target ends up being the one not getting beat on). As for some people not getting much healing from the Druid, it may be simply that another healer was keeping them at or near full health, to the point that a) WG never/almost never picked them, and b) they never/almost never looked like an attractive target for Rejuv, either (i.e. their health was too high to warrant the mana expenditure). The next option, Nourish, is slow, weak, and not terribly efficient to cast on someone with no HoTs on them.

Possible solutions include clearly defined healer responsibilities, which you alluded to. It may also help to make sure all healers are using addons that tell them if someone has a HoT on them from another source. Bonus points if that addon actually indicates the type of HoT.

All in all, if its a player brand new to the raid, and his/her first time seeing the encounters, I'd definitely expect lower performance, and more mana inefficiency. As the player learns the ins and outs of who will take damage, how much, and when, both their performance and their efficiency will improve. Based solely on what you described, it sounds as though, at least in theory, the player you have is doing things the way they are supposed to as a Restoration Druid.

A good resource to ask questions regarding Restoration healing practices and theorycraft would be plusheal.com, a healing forum. They're pretty helpful with questions, and usually give reliable and informed answers.
Hokahey

Postby Morak » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:52 am

Can't access to WoL at work so what i can say is :

- whatever his assignation, he sould always roll 3xLB on a tank (but not let it bloom constantly) because a large part of his regen come from that.
- if you assign him to the raid, he should be using WG on CD, Rejuv, SM, refresh LB and some HT/Regrowth on OOC proc.
- maybe the members who didn't receive more than 2-5% of is healing were being topped off by the other healers before his hots ticks
Morak

Postby Shathus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:20 am

Thanks both for the insight, especially Hokahey for the in-depth post.

That all mostly seems to fit. Yah, I knew LB can only be on 1 target now. (I see when he cats ToL he seems to be spamming LBx3 on as many people as he can during the duration, but that seemed fine). He wasn't rolling the LB on the tank, just re-casting x3 each time, but again, he was on raid too and not assigned to the tank, so I'd figure he would roll it more if on the tank full-time. We go back in tonight, so I'll see how it goes, maybe adjust the assigments as well

I've healed some on my druid while getting him to 85, i think the thing that messes me up the most is that regrowth isn't a long hot anymore heh
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes